PDA

View Full Version : IR code issues

MikeM
April 4th, 2003, 01:13 PM
Guys, I have having some very odd problems with IR codes. I don't have a normal pronto, so it's a little hard for me to see where the fault is, but I thought I would throw this out there and see if folks have any ideas.

Some IR codes in component CCF's from remotecentral.com work just fine, like for my Marantz SR8200. But others are hit and miss. My replay for instance works with codes from one particular (and unfortunately incomplete) CCF, but responds to none of the codes issued in other replay CCF's.

I also have problems with my Sony SLV M20HF VCR. The downloaded CCF IR codes don't work at all. I am going to try to load some other CCF's of this VCR and see if that works as well.

Very odd. Also, I have a set of IR commands to turn everything on and off. I have to execute this sequence multiple times to have it effectively be recieved by the devices. This is after I had loaded .1 second delays in between each IR command sent. Is this delay too small?

Any ideas as to what's going on? I haven't seen these kind of complaints for codes with a real pronto.

The learned codes look somewhat different for each of the components, but I'm not sure about issue here.

Thanks!
Mike

z.mash
April 4th, 2003, 03:27 PM
Mike,

I have the same problem with my DirecTivo. The codes for my Pioneer Receiver work great, but no dice on the Tivo. I've tried 4 different CCFs. For the interim, I am still using Girder to send the IR via Slink-e, but I would eventually like to take Girder out of that loop.

As for delays, I have had to bump mine up to 250 milliseconds in some instances where 100 milliseconds didn't work.

-Zak

MikeM
April 4th, 2003, 08:49 PM
Well, I don't run girder right now at all, so I'd rather avoid having to use it for this purpose. Eventually I'll be running it, but are you saying that the same IR code in the CCF that doesn't work with netremote sending it works fine when it's sent via Girder, via the same IR device?

I'm using a Slink-E, and I know the Replay uses high frequency IR, but I don't think it's a frquency problem if some CCF's codes work fine and others don't.

What IR passthrough device do you use?

PS Just on a hunch, I tried the PDAwin TVremote software demo. While the range on my Dell Axim is terrible, all the codes work fine, even those that didn't work on passthrough via Netremote. So it sounds like a bug somewhere.

Thanks,
Mike

Dave T
April 4th, 2003, 09:37 PM
Hi, guys.

Mike asked me to check in here. I wrote the NRIRServ program, and the driver for the RedRat.

Mike - I'm not sure what's causing your problem. As you probably know IR learning and conversion is a hit and miss affair. When the codes are learned, they're not exactly the same as what the remote transmitted. And, when they're converted for output by another device, they're modified further. Some IR emitters are better than others in being able to transmit what was learned into a pronto CCF. First of all, Mike - what IR emitter are you using? Zak - how about you? And, what brand DirecTivo do you have? I have a Sony SAT-T60, and NetRemote works pretty well with all the codes in my CCF for that, although sometimes I have to hit a button more than once.

- Dave

MikeM
April 5th, 2003, 01:32 AM
Dave, thanks so much for checking in here.

I use a Slink-E, connected via a SmartLinc adapter (which converts the voltage levels from the old Slink-e to the 12V that the Xantech needs) to a Xantech distribution system. Xantech emitters are used to signal to the equipment.

The odd thing is that some CCF's codes work fine, and others don't, for the exact same function. The Replay has an issue, but so did the Sony S530D DVD player.

Do you think I should try a different emitter? The xantechs have worked well for me in the past. The Smartlinc adapter is optoisolated and works pretty well.

Another data point is that the PDAwin TV remote software emits the IR and is picked up by a xantech dinky-link, and then goes through the same IR distribution system to the equipment, so I don't think it's the emitters in the distribution system causing the problem.

This would seem to indicate an issue in the SLink-e or the Smartlinc IR adapter. Does the code that you wrote to drive the Slink-E handle all the different frequencies that Pronto's support? I can post some of the IR codes that are problematic if that helps.

Thanks again Dave!

Mike

z.mash
April 5th, 2003, 07:18 AM
Hi Dave,

I have a Slink-e (3.x), with the Xantech emitters going straight from the IR output to a Pioneer 811s and a Hughes GXCEBOT DirecTivo. I found discrete IR codes for the Pioneer and am using them, and grabbed the IR codes from these CCFs at Remote Central (http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/files/rcfiles.cgi?area=pronto&db=devices&br=hughes&dv=digitalvideorecorder&fc=).

Everything works fine if I use Girder to send the IR codes. It's only when going through NR that the Tivo codes fail. However, the Pioneer codes work fine.

-Zak

Dave T
April 5th, 2003, 08:37 AM
It's hard to say, but I'm inclined to blame the Slink-E. Ben wrote the driver for that, so he's probably the best person to help. I'm not too familiar with the Slink-E, and don't have one.

Zak - when you say that you use Girder to send the IR codes, how did you learn them? Are you saying that you can take the IR data from a CCF and then send it through Girder OK? I didn't think there was a way to do that. But, if there is, then I would blame the Slink-E driver in NRIRServ. If Girder can translate the IR to the SlinkE ok, then there's no reason that NRIRServ shouldn't be able to. However, if you learned the IR codes yourself, then the issue could simply be that you learned "cleaner" codes than are in the CCF. It could be that the codes are barely recognizable when transmitted from the Pronto, and when they go through another level of translation for use by the SlinkE, then your device can't recognize them.

It is a fact that some of these IR emitting thingies are better than others. My RedRat is only fair. I have a beta version of the next generation RedRat that I'm going to be working on this weekend. According to the manufacturer, it clears up the issues I'm having with the older RedRat - the RR2. So, if this works well for me, perhaps you guys will want to get a RedRat 3, too.

- Dave

z.mash
April 5th, 2003, 08:58 AM
Zak - when you say that you use Girder to send the IR codes, how did you learn them?

For the Tivo I learned the codes using EZ-Learn, a program that comes with the Slink-e. For the Pioneer, I copied the codes from a CCF (b/c I wanted discrete codes). I will try copying the codes from the CCF to the Slink-e .CDE file and see if that works.

Are you saying that you can take the IR data from a CCF and then send it through Girder OK?

Yes, for the Pioneer, but I have not tried it for the Tivo yet.