PDA

View Full Version : Is feedback from multiple Girder drivers even possible?

Mastiff
April 21st, 2003, 06:21 AM
I see that the client registers on the Girder driver when NetRemote is turned on. Will it then be possible to get feedback from another Girder computer by using seperate panels? It seems to me like the first driver will always have the feedback no matter what panel of NetRemote I'm on. So I'll have to change the IP in the first Girder driver and restart NetRemote to get to one of the other Girders. In that case this system in my opinion has seroius flaws. If I change from the HTPC pane to the Server/Media Server panel I need feedback from the Server, not the HTPC (what good is it to know that the HTPC is paused or playing when it's the Server I want to listen to?). Is there a way around this, experts? Because I won't even pretend I understand anything of this... :D

Thanks a lot in advance!

Ben S
April 21st, 2003, 10:32 AM
With the multi-instance driver support in place, it -should- (although untested by me thus far) register for feedback to each instance.

The means that feedback will work for all instances, but (and this is a big but) right now if the feedback is of the same variable name, they will override each other.

I think as we do more thing with multi-instance, we're going to need a way to prepend variable names with the instance number.

Argh! Multi-instance is going to introduce a lot of gotchas.

brockgr
April 21st, 2003, 10:32 AM
Tor,

You are correct - currently NetRemote will only connect to one server. I guess one option would be to have several IP's in the NetRemote Girder driver and have every event sent to every machine - inefficient but simple. It would be upt to each machine whether they handle the event or not. Also, all the machines could feed back as necessary.

Thoughts Ben?

Gavin

Mastiff
April 21st, 2003, 11:45 AM
Good point, Ben! It's never easy when you want the best... :D
I would say that the best method probably is some kind of association between the driver id in NetRemote and some kind of id sendt from Girder. Or is that just my total ignorance talking? 8)