PDA

View Full Version : MC9 - feedback interruptus and bombing

Mastiff
May 4th, 2003, 12:36 PM
Hi!
I have the habit of turning off the PPC with NR stil running when I'm not doing anything and then just turning it on again when I want to change music and so on. But lately (probably since the new feedback way came in, but I can't say that 100 % certain) it sometimes refuses to resume the contact with MC9 (sometimes all together, other times only one or two of the fields, like artist or song name - playing time is the one that's usually there) until I restart NetRemote, sometimes until I reset the PPC and a few not even that has been enough! I have had to reset the PPC and wait a while, or even restart MC9. And I even had that blasted C++ error window coming up and killing my MC9 today! If I tried to restart MC9 with NetRemote running it bombed out the instance it started, so it seems like it might be something with the Remote server. Of course I'm a total nitwit, so I might be wrong. Anyway, there is something not completely kosher somewhere here... A couple of times it has even locked my PPC completely. And the latest Win32 version I can't even get to run, but I only use that for testing purposes of the CCF anyway, so I can use RC2. RC3 crashes every time.

Ben S
May 4th, 2003, 08:39 PM
When you say crashes, do you mean hard crashes? Or you see the taskbar item, but not it? Make sure and clear out WindowX and WindowY registry settings. My fix in RC3 isn't so great, since the values are out of bounds when NetRemote starts. My bad!

I'll keep hunting down MC9 communication problems.

Mastiff
May 5th, 2003, 03:24 AM
I mean the Windows XP message "We're sorry, but NetRemote had to close because of an error" or something like that (I've got norwegian WinXP so the translation is not correct, I guess). So I would call it a hard crash.

Ben S
May 8th, 2003, 09:04 PM
Is this using the demo ccf, or your own. Can you send your own again if so, and I'll see if I can get it to bomb?

Regarding feedback issues, I haven't had any problems with my servers here, but I tend to bring it up for a minute or two, and then shut it off. I'll keep looking. 0.99 final won't be done until we've figured this one out, Tor.

Mastiff
May 11th, 2003, 04:08 PM
I've been on the road from Friday morning (very early...5 A.M. - yaaaawn!) to Denmark (the Legoland trip my kids wanted so much) and I used the carputer in the Mazda MX-3 (took some space in the trunk, but well worth it). Again I had the problem that when I turn the PPC off it won't connect to MC again, sometimes I had to do several resets, the worst one turned out to be the C++ error, all this because I turned the PPC off and then on again with NetRemote running. Also I seem to have increasing problems connecting to any hosts, sometimes it seems like that if it can't connect to the first hosts, something will block it from connecting to the other one's, since I get better results when I put the same host in all three drivers I use (for the HTPC, the Media/Internet server and the carputer). And I definitively get better results with IP addresses instead of computer names, but it's still far from reliable. I will e-mail you the CCF right away, maybe you can find an error in it? Anyway, there's a new firmware out for the Loox, so I will hard reset the thing tomorrow, install the firmware and then do a full re-install of everything, drivers and all. Maybe that will help. We'll see... 8)

Edit: I see that I have one button still using Girder commands (play on the control page) and I have much more problems connecting to any MC9 host if I can't connect to at least one valid Girder host. This may be related to the problems I'm having, even though I can't see why (but then that might just be because I'm stupid...).

slickrock22
May 11th, 2003, 09:57 PM
Mastiff,

Great! Finally someelse with my problem. It always bombs with the c++ error and then shuts down. I bough a Dell Axim after reading your AVS post, but for the last 3 weeks MC9 keeps bombing. I have 8 days left on the trial and still cant get it to work. I downloaded your ccf and each time I try to add a song to play, it crashes. Please let me know if you find out what the problem is.

I am not a programmer, but pretty darn computer savy (IT profession) and sure as heck can't figure why it keeps crashing!!

I almost decided to let my trial expire and chalk this up as an another goose chase as I didn't have the energy to fight a one man battle, but it sounds as if I am not alone.

Ryan

Ben S
May 11th, 2003, 10:07 PM
Ryan, can you do a screenshot of the error you're getting and send it to me?

Are you running the latest release candidate of NetRemote (0.99 RC3 right now) and the latest Media Center?

I've got both an updated Media Center plugin that I need to send to those guys, and a new release candidate of NetRemote that will be out either tonight or tomorrow night. Hopefully one of these two will fix the errors you are having.

Both sides are rock solid stable for me right now, so the more detail one what's happening with you and Mastiff, the more I'll be able to figure out and fix.

Thanks!

Ben S
May 18th, 2003, 08:08 AM
FYI: Ryan is all set.

The answer was:

Make sure you are using RemoteServer (built into MediaCenter, viewable from Tools/Options/Startup Settings) NOT WebRemote plugin.