PDA

View Full Version : Missing persons: Where have all the NetRemoters gone?

Mastiff
July 9th, 2003, 02:08 AM
I'm starting to think there's a worldwide alien conspiracy kidnapping all NetRemote-people, and I'm starting to fear that I'm the next. Help! Or is this all because the rest of you guys are on holiday, and I'm the only "Summer Scrooge" having to work through the summer? Anyway it's getting spooky, please say you're OK! :roll:

Ben S
July 9th, 2003, 10:01 AM
I'm here. No injuries here. I'm trying to wrap up the fixes and changes for the actual 0.99 release (although it will probably be RC7 for a few days just for a nod of approval).

I found a stash of Fujitsu Point 1600's at my primary consulting gig and was able to borrow one. It took some effort to get Windows 98 onto it with no support for wireless NICs, no CD-ROM, no Floppy drive, but it's up and running. I'll post pictures soon.

I've also contacted GlobalCache (http://www.globalcache.com) about a development unit, and will get one soon to add support to NetRemote.

So there is a lot going on. I read every post, but wait to respond until I have time to dedicate to giving the best responses I can.

Mastiff
July 9th, 2003, 10:06 AM
Good thing, Ben! So we will wait for our RC7. 8)

At least the most important NetRemoter isn't kidnapped by aliens! If anybody has been, did you see Elvis? :wink:

dkan24
July 9th, 2003, 07:59 PM
I'm still here- not that I'm that important or anything :)

Actually, RC6 has been working great for me. Sometimes, if I leave it on (plugged in) after a long time, the PPC (Axim) freezes up, but I don't leave it on that much.

I am going to buy a USB-UIRT soon and then will start customizing my ccf to donate back to the group.

Ben S
July 9th, 2003, 09:37 PM
A few things to go in RC7, another few days.

I have some better pictures, but here's a quick image of the Point 1600 running NetRemote in the kitchen.

http://www.netremote.org/dl/point1600.jpg

brohebus
July 9th, 2003, 09:46 PM
I took a bit of a sabatical. I've been using .98 with success for a while but am starting to dig into .99RCx now that i have a bit more time to experiment.

-Dave

dkan24
July 9th, 2003, 10:18 PM
Ben- that thing looks awesome! Can you get any more of those for cheap?

Mastiff
July 10th, 2003, 02:32 AM
And how much are those things? Even if I have to run a LAN cable to the room where it's at (probably the living room) it will be worth it!

mrallen
July 10th, 2003, 09:47 PM
here! just in the middle of a big house move + family vacations. i'll probably even put out a tonto release by the end of the month.

brohebus
July 11th, 2003, 09:22 AM
here! just in the middle of a big house move + family vacations. i'll probably even put out a tonto release by the end of the month.

Any new features or just a maintainenece release?

-Dave

mrallen
July 11th, 2003, 09:46 AM
probably bug fixes and simple things. what are you looking for?

pmauro
July 11th, 2003, 01:39 PM
mrallen -

I noticed that you were soliciting some ideas for your next version so I thought that I would chime in. I just started using Tonto intensively a week ago. I would love to pass on some observations and suggestions.

I would guess that many people (like me) are using the application to customize, reverse engineer or "borrow" all or part of ".ccf" files on remote central. Any functionality or tools that could help "harvest" device codes, layouts and graphics from a variety of "CCF"s and merge them into your own would be extremely helpful.

Having said that, I think that the addition of some functionality centered around the above use cases would transform Tonto from a better pronto-edit to an pronto-edit killer.

Here goes:

-Click and drag region select would be a godsend. It can be very time consuming to shuffle buttons around the layout.

- I love the paste functionality - it is really helpful. Support of copy and paste of button(s) (not just panels) from one CCF to another would be fantastic.

- Please support copy and paste for more than one button at a time. (I have to temporarily group buttons as a workaround to this)

- If a button is selected, it would be nice to be able to edit the button name without clicking the name button. e.g. Just start typing in text while selected.

- I am not sure what the exact purpose of the icon library is, but I can tell you how I tired to use it. I was hoping to be able to use it to extract image assets from "CCF" files. I would love to be able to copy icons from one CCF's library into another.

- THE BIG ONE: In a perfect world, all CCF assets could be managed in portable libraries - codes, graphics, etc. (Think flash). Right now, everyone in the Pronto community uses "CCF" files as a container and transport mechanism for sharing codes, graphics, layouts, etc. This can make it a bit cumbersome to share objects.

- When shift-clicking several objects, it is very easy to move the objects while trying to add one to your selection. Can you temporarily disable move while the shift key is down?

Bugs

- Most of the time when I double-click a ".ccf" file, Tonto does not recognize it as a valid file. However, I can open the same file from within Tonto by doing a File->Open.

- Color selection palette can go off the bottom of the screen

Pete

Ben S
July 11th, 2003, 04:41 PM
Ben- that thing looks awesome! Can you get any more of those for cheap?

Hey, thanks! If you look on ebay you should be able to pick one up between $140 and $250. Unfortunately I could only borrow one, for now.

Tor - you don't need to run a LAN cable, it has a PCMCIA slot for a wireless NIC.

Stewart - We should also touch base about some other new possibilities with Tonto.

brockgr
July 27th, 2003, 12:46 AM
I'm starting to think there's a worldwide alien conspiracy kidnapping all NetRemote-people, and I'm starting to fear that I'm the next. Help! Or is this all because the rest of you guys are on holiday, and I'm the only "Summer Scrooge" having to work through the summer? Anyway it's getting spooky, please say you're OK! :roll:

I'm back!! Rested and tanned :lol:. Sadly wife and kid are still on vacation - but on the good side, this means plenty of time for late night hacking sessions :twisted:.

Sorry to hear you havn't made it away yet Tor, but in Japan, where you only get a couple of vacations a life time, you have to make the most of it.

Now what did LDJ stand for again... :wink:

Gavin

Mastiff
July 27th, 2003, 02:34 AM
Hey, that sounds like my life! I had my last real vacation the year after Kevin was born, so it's eight years ago...

mrallen
July 27th, 2003, 09:11 AM
-Click and drag region select would be a godsend. It can be very time consuming to shuffle buttons around the layout.

will add to the TODO list for the next version of the renderer.

- I love the paste functionality - it is really helpful. Support of copy and paste of button(s) (not just panels) from one CCF to another would be fantastic.

this should already work.

- Please support copy and paste for more than one button at a time. (I have to temporarily group buttons as a workaround to this)

same answer as the first. the current renderer makes this difficult.

- If a button is selected, it would be nice to be able to edit the button name without clicking the name button. e.g. Just start typing in text while selected.

hit F2

- THE BIG ONE: In a perfect world, all CCF assets could be managed in portable libraries - codes, graphics, etc. (Think flash). Right now, everyone in the Pronto community uses "CCF" files as a container and transport mechanism for sharing codes, graphics, layouts, etc. This can make it a bit cumbersome to share objects.

this will be possible when I break completely with CCF legacy. the current CCF format makes this a messy hack.

- When shift-clicking several objects, it is very easy to move the objects while trying to add one to your selection. Can you temporarily disable move while the shift key is down?

awesome suggestion.

- Most of the time when I double-click a ".ccf" file, Tonto does not recognize it as a valid file. However, I can open the same file from within Tonto by doing a File->Open.

filename/extension bindings are not currently added during the Windows install. I'm not entirely sure how to do this. On Mac it's taken care of.

- Color selection palette can go off the bottom of the screen

hrm. that should not happen. what's your screen resolution?