View Full Version : TV Guide Netremote plugin...

November 25th, 2003, 06:43 AM
I see someone else has thought about trying to write a guide that would be viewable on the pocketPC. However, there seems to be a problem with parsing XML code on PPC's? I somehow find that hard to believe. It's just text. However, since I have yet to try this, I will have to take this at face value. Perhaps we need to look at this a different way. If there's too much overhead to do the XML parsing on the PPC, why not do it on the main machine, and just transfer over the plain text in some simple struct. I have yet to actually look at the SDK, so after I post this, I'll take a look. I think having an ep guide on netremote would push it into the "must have" category in our little geek heaven.

Ben S
November 26th, 2003, 06:10 PM
Hi Lister -

I just found XML parsing was pretty slow on the PPC for NetRemote use. By all means give it a try, perhaps I had just too much data?

It would be great if it was found to be untrue. I think it would be great to make some generic "xml loader" controls that would display the contents of XML in a tree view or in a table view.

November 28th, 2003, 04:12 PM
Once NR 0.994 is out and a Girder/LUA/Sockets feedback problem is fixed, I plan to post my TV guide stuff. My guess is that is "real soon now".

However, I do *not* attempt to parse the XML on the PPC. Instead, I have a client/server app, with a PPC NR driver as the client and a PC server, which actually parses the XML into a format easier for the PPC to display. This appears to work very well.

November 29th, 2003, 03:42 AM
My guess is that is "real soon now".

Don't ever mention those words here! They are a real hex. Then we always get back to Daikatana. The difference is that NetRemote actually has made me it's bitch!

Ben S
December 1st, 2003, 08:37 AM
Avid, I'll be sending you the new API and a pre-pre-release today or tomorrow for you to migrate your current code to. The new version will be in most peoples hands this week, after some stress testing by the stress-maestro Tor.

December 2nd, 2003, 11:51 AM
Sweet. I just got my wireless card yesterday. I can't wait to play with all of this!!!!!