PDA

View Full Version : Good deal on Fujitsu tablet

Moe
January 10th, 2004, 12:44 PM
I hope this doesn't break any forum rules, I have no affiliation with the company.

PCsurplus online has Fujitsu Stylistic LT's for $274.99.

The specs are:
Intel 233 MHz Pentium MMX processor
4.3 GB hard drive
64 MB SDRAM
Touch Screen
Onboard Video
Integrated Sound
1 USB port
Active Matrix (TFT) SVGA Color LCD

They also come with lots of accessories:

Mini docking station (Very nice!!!)
Wireless keyboard
AC adapter
Auto adapter (12-24 VDC input)
External battery charger
Carrying case

I got one a couple weeks ago, it is very clean and looks fantastic. I am going use this to replace my Fujitsu Point 1600, the screen is WAY better than the 1600 (DSTN vs. TFT)

The only problem is it doesn't come with an OS installed. Not to hard to do, just a pain in the butt.

Just thought I'd pass this on, hope that it's ok.

sapnho
January 10th, 2004, 01:01 PM
Do you have a link? I couldn't find it. Thanks.

Moe
January 10th, 2004, 09:35 PM
I am an idiot :D

http://w2.pcsurplusonline.com/viewprod.cfm?ID=2595

Ben S
January 11th, 2004, 08:25 AM
Moe, can you tell me about the touchscreen? The Point 1600 you can use the pen or your fingernail. Does this unit work the same (okay), or can you use the fat of your finger (better), or does it require a special pen with batteries (worse)?

If same or better, I'll pick one up!

Moe
January 11th, 2004, 01:31 PM
It's the same as the point 1600, you can use a your fingernail or the pen, you don't need to use a special pen (I wouldn't have bought one if you needed a pen). It also seems more sensitive than the 1600 as well.

Ben S
January 12th, 2004, 01:09 PM
Maybe I'll pick one up. The Point 1600 (with whole kit) has been on ebay for $250 BIN. An extra $25 gets you a faster chip, and active matrix.

You could get two of these, which run NetRemote perfectly, for the cost of one Progear.

geordie
January 12th, 2004, 06:37 PM
Since it does not come with an OS. What do you need to do to install an OS and does it take a special OS?

Moe
January 12th, 2004, 06:51 PM
The way that I installed the OS you will need an adapter to install a laptop hard drive into your desktop PC. I picked up one of these adapters off ebay for about five bucks.

I took the hard drive out of the tablet and installed it in my desktop pc using the adapter. Then I copied all of the windows 98 installation disc to the hard drive, and I placed the drivers that I needed (wireless card, touch screen, etc.) on the disc at this time as well. Took the hard drive out of the desktop pc and put it back in the tablet. Then installed the Windows 98 from DOS.

It does not take a special OS. It is just like a laptop except it doesn't have a built in keyboard and it's a touchscreen.

You may be able to get a parrallel CD-rom that you could hook up to the docking station and install like that. I don't know for sure because I didn't try it.

geordie
January 12th, 2004, 07:04 PM
That sounds easy enough (well in the description if not the doing :wink: ). I think I have a couple of those adapters around here somewhere, so maybe I will give it a try.

geordie
January 19th, 2004, 05:57 PM
OK, the practice of setting it up was a little more difficult than the theory. However it was worth well it. NetRemote on it is so much nicer than on the little PPC screen.

I just have one or two little questions. Is there some trick to using the IR keyboard that came with the Fujitsu or do I have a defective keyboard? I don't need to use a keyboard except while configuring it, but a keyboard would be nice to have occasionally. Also the ethernet does not seem to work. Although I am using wireless, I do kind of wonder if that is another symptom of something being broken.

Moe
January 19th, 2004, 08:57 PM
My keyboard worked right out of the box. I didn't have to install anything. This maybe a stupid question, but did you check the batteries? You can also plug in a keyboard and a mouse into the docking station if you cant get the wireless one working.

As for your ethernet not working? I can only assume that it is driver problem. I really don't know though. Once I installed my drivers ethernet worked great. Or are you referring to the ethernet on the docking station? That won't work, these tablets are not configured for it. This docking station is made to work with several tablets, some of them can utilize this feature.

Ben S
January 22nd, 2004, 12:24 PM
Classic case of me delaying too long. OOS now.

geordie
January 22nd, 2004, 03:29 PM
My keyboard worked right out of the box. I didn't have to install anything ...
... are you referring to the ethernet on the docking station? That won't work, these tablets are not configured for it. This docking station is made to work with several tablets, some of them can utilize this feature.

Thank you. I guess my keyboard is broken then. Yes, the ethernet in the dock is what I was having trouble with. The wireless card and an external keyboard and mouse are working although not necessarily an optimal setup. Again thanks for the help.