PDA

View Full Version : Does your Simpad wireless card stop working periodically?

grog
January 19th, 2004, 01:18 AM
Hi everyone,

I've been having intermittent problems with the wireless card on my Simpad and am wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same. Basically it just stops working after the Simpad has been on for a while. Usually the symptom is I lose network connectivity and the green light on the card starts blinking. Sometimes I can just pull out the card and put it back and the connection comes back but other times I need to reset the Simpad. The other night it failed in a different way too - this time the light on the card went off altogether.

This problem occurs even if I have it sitting in the charging cradle so it's not related to the battery. Is anyone else having similar issues? The card is the Siemens that came with the unit. I'm wondering if it's a driver issue or perhaps the card is flaky. Does anyone know what other cards are supported on it? I may try a different one if I can get one for a decent price.

Thanks,
Jason

Ben S
January 19th, 2004, 08:19 AM
Hi Jason - I haven't noticed this issue with my Simpad, and I am also using the card that came with from Siemens.

marketability
January 23rd, 2004, 03:09 PM
Yeh Im having the same issue - the only workaround that seems to work consistently for me is to power down the pad when not in uise and not allow the automatic standby to kick in

sapnho
January 24th, 2004, 01:40 AM
I also have this issue. What happens is that after about 10x of turning the Simpad on and off and using NR (usually every 2-4 days), the Wifi card will stop working and the only solution is a reboot.

Don't know if it's NR of something else though. :roll:

marketability
January 24th, 2004, 03:11 PM
not 100% certain but I thinks its something to do with NR or NR with standby mode

It doesnt seem to happen if i use the simpad for web browsing only

acheslow
February 25th, 2004, 09:58 AM
I just got a Simpad and have noticed the same problem. I have an Orinoco Silver and my network connection seems flaky most of the time. Anyone figure anything out on this?

marketability
March 12th, 2004, 11:31 AM
Sorry no consistent cause as far as I can see...

I've just come out of a 2 week period when it never failed! thought I had it fixed but alas and alack the day the simpad were ever born!

It may have something to do with NR as it seems totaly stable if left withj just the desktop running.

I've been following the 995 trail and RC2 was the one running during most of the blissfull stable period

grog
January 19th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Hi folks,

I just wanted to revive this thread since I'm still having this problem. If I reset my Simpad and never launch NetRemote it can idle indefinitely and the network never craps out. If I launch NetRemote and leave it running the network stops working after a few minutes. However, I don't think it's a NetRemote issue, at least in my case. I did a bit of experimenting and found I could cause the network to die just by doing a bunch of browsing. The key seems to be the volume of network traffic and since NR has a lot of chatting back and forth it triggers it sooner.

Ben - you're the only one who mentioned they're NOT having this problem. How exactly do you have your network set up? Are you using Infrastructure or Ad Hoc mode? Are you using WEP and if so what strength?

I'm using infrastucture mode connecting to a Linksys WAP54G access point and I'm using 64 bit WEP.

mikeythemikey
January 19th, 2005, 03:47 PM
I dont get issues with my orinoco gold card on the simpad, though I used to get drop on a vaio laptop.