PDA

View Full Version : Good deal on a Viewsonic Airpanel v110

tellis007
January 19th, 2004, 08:48 PM
Make me an offer. I have the charging stand as well and I'll include it. This is one of those remote displays that can control another computer. I've been running Netremote on it for about 6 months and have decided to simplify my life with a Harmony remote. Not nearly as customizable, but I've been spending way too much time with my remote lately. =)

Ben S
January 22nd, 2004, 01:24 PM
Sorry to see you go, tellis.

What are you looking to get for it? I don't even know what they're worth. Is this the smaller of the two units?

tellis007
January 23rd, 2004, 01:30 AM
Well, I spent about $900 all told, but they look to be going used on ebay with the dock and everything for about $300-$350 with shipping.

I might return to the netremote world someday--it certainly rocks--especially at music control but I just have way too many other things to work on right now. =)

Tim

Ben S
January 26th, 2004, 10:19 PM
Will this device run Pocket PC / CE apps, or does it only function as a "smart display".

If it will run CE apps, I'll probably buy it from you as another tablet to test against. Unless you want to loan it to me until you're ready to come back to NetRemote. :)

tellis007
January 26th, 2004, 11:08 PM
It's only a remote display for another machine. I've seen people hacking them to run stand-alone, but that's not exactly standard so I don' think it would help you much. You've put so much into netremote that I'd probably just give it to you if it would help for testing... 8)

Ben S
January 28th, 2004, 09:01 PM
I wouldn't turn it away. If you're serious send me an email and we can chat.

Feel free to sell in on ebay if you'd like, though. I would just have it as another test device, I don't have a strong need for it.

Thanks tellis.

jeroen020
February 4th, 2004, 04:19 PM
Microsoft has in all its wisom now discontinued the Smart Display. I do expect a comeback of a souped up version of the technology however, as a thin-client control system for their Media Center line.

I'd consider this a very useful technology for using NR, if it was not doomed by its flaws. Although most complain of the lack of video streaming, for me the fact that you can have one Smart Display connect to your desktop at a time was a showstopper at its retail price - and it even took over your desktop completely, locking you out of your primary monitor while in use. You can apparantly circumvent this when you use Windows server 2003, as that allows multiple user sessions...

In addition to my Simpads (you can have as many of those connect to your desktop running Girder/MC as you want...) I have recently also bought a regular VGA touchscreen to use with NR as a secondary monitor - be it wired.

I heard some people were able to run _some_ PPC programs on the SD, but I'd say the 'scene' is considerably smaller than for the Simpad...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.smartdispl ay is the official MS newsgroup with some interesting discussions.