PDA

View Full Version : SIMPad and Direct IR

Wilhelm
January 25th, 2004, 08:28 AM
Hi,

I got my SIMPad yesterday. Great piece of hardware, I think. So the first thing I tested was the IRDA Port. I installed my PDAWin to test if it's compatible with my iPAQ and it's IRDA port and how good the range might be.
To make the long story short, PDAWin ran without problems, IR worked and the range was as good as with my 3970 which has built in CIR. So I'm really happy with my SIMPad and can't wait until Ben releases his direct IR driver, since I know now, it will work on my SIMPad too.

Wilhelm

Ben S
January 25th, 2004, 08:30 AM
Wow. I haven't even tried direct IR with my simpad yet. I assumed it would be a pain to get setup. But if it works with PDAWin, it should definitely work with NetRemote.

And if you say it's got as good range as your CIR Ipaq, I'll definitely test it, as neither of my pocket pc's as CIR.

Thanks Wilhelm!

Torsten
January 25th, 2004, 12:17 PM
I can confirm Wilhelm´s finding regarding the IR output. I own a T-Sinus pad and the build-in IR diode is able to transmit 6 meter, which is about 20 feet. For testing purpose, i have used PDAWin`s program.

Since i am writing this post on my simpad, i will introduce myself to the community tomorrow when i am behind a "normal" keyboard.

regards
Torsten

Ben S
January 26th, 2004, 09:18 PM
Hmm. I tried NetRemote first, and couldn't even get a blip on my slinke. (I test IR using slinke's "ezlearn" where I can see a graphical representation of what the device is sending).

I installed pdawin next, and couldn't get it to do anything, either.

I'm running CE.NET 4.1 on the Simpad, is that what you're running, Wilhelm?

I'm pretty sure if pdawin will run on it, NetRemote will. So I guess I'm happy that neither work, versus pdawin working and NetRemote not.

Wilhelm
January 27th, 2004, 02:47 AM
Hi Ben,

my SIMPad is working with CE.Net 4.0. My information is, that 4.1 isn't an official release and I haven't got an Image of 4.1 either, so I can't test it.

Another thing is, if you want to test whether an IR-Diode sends anything or not, I find it much better to use a video or webcam. Every CCD is able to see the IR-beam and you haven't to bother about your testequipment.

Unfortunately my SIMPad has a defect, so it's off to Siemens for some time. I contact you when I get it back.

Wilhelm

BTW: I assume you have installed the fake-dlls?

Torsten
January 27th, 2004, 02:48 AM
PDAWin worked (in regard of the IR transmission) when my T-sinus pad came "out of the box".

My best guess: Something went wrong with the registry, so I would do a backup, performing a complete hard reset by pressing the 2 buttoms plus the reset buttom on the rear. Than installing just your netremote. If it is not working, check again with WinPDA make sure that the box for internal IR transmission is ticked.

BTW: the T-sinus pad runs (due to the lack of internal memory) WinCE 3.0

Good luck!

Torsten

Wilhelm
January 27th, 2004, 02:52 AM
Thorsten,

but your SIMPad is using WinCE 2.1, doesn't it? I assume the OS is the problem here, because Ben's is running under .Net 4.1.

Wilhelm

Torsten
January 27th, 2004, 05:01 AM
Hi Wilhelm,

my T-Sinus Pad runs WinCE 3.0, build 126. This is the latest revision you can run on the T-Sinus.

I also read in german forum that the Net 4.1 is not an "official version"

Ben S
January 28th, 2004, 08:00 PM
Can anyone else running 4.1 chime in and let me know if you're able to run pdawin successfully?

Wilhelm
January 29th, 2004, 02:08 AM
... or, alternatively if anyone has the flashable 4.1 image I would be willing to test it with my simpad.

@Ben: Have you confimed that the IRDA port on your SIMPad works ok, e.g. by beaming anything?

Wilhelm

Torsten
January 29th, 2004, 05:26 AM
For all of looking for firmware, pls. go to this page:

http://www.falko-jeske.de/

Klick on "Software" and than on "Images" and you get hyperlinks to download your required firmware.

This page is german, but you will find your way through.

I could not find a link for WIN CE.NET. 4.1. so far for the simpad but when i find it, I will post it here.

Torsten

Wilhelm
February 1st, 2004, 03:02 PM
Hi Ben,

just to let you know: I tested TV-Remote on 4.1 and it runs ok. There must be a problem with your Simpad (if that problem still exists)

Wilhelm

Ben S
February 2nd, 2004, 07:31 AM
Yes, that problem still exists.

Did you have to do anything special to get it working, or did you just upgrade your device to 4.1 and you were all set?

Wilhelm
February 2nd, 2004, 07:38 AM
...just right after the upgrade. I have done nothing special except copy the fake-dll's (4.1) to the windows directory and install TV_Remote.

Can you beam a file from your iPAQ to the SIMPad? This doesn't work correctly with 4.0 but works fine with 4.1
Perhaps in this way you could at least verify, that the IRDA-Transceiver is working on your SIMPad.

Wilhelm

Ben S
February 7th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Update on this: I can get IR working from PDAWin (and quite a distance too! 18' was the furthest I could test and it works fine).

From NetRemote - not yet. I -do- get a signal, it's just garbled.

QuickCarl
February 14th, 2004, 09:43 AM
Ben - I have a SimPAD with .Net 4.1 and was testing with PDAWin 5.2... most of it worked from at least 16 feet, but I don't think much of the TV Remote software.

It seems to not work with a lot of the codes in my CCF (which were all learned through Pronto TSU100)

Can't wait for you to get Direct IR hooked up. Let me know if you need any testing done. Happy to try to help. -Carl

PS - if you see my 'Gosh darn' message, I could use a little help myself.

Ben S
February 14th, 2004, 11:54 AM
I agree. The PDAWin software works okay on PPC's, but is really not meant for the Simpad.

My Simpad is back to not being able to open the port, and I'm not sure why. The next release (before 1.0) will probably not support the Simpad for IR because of the problems I'm having, but it should be in there for 1.0.

I responded in your other thread, as well.