PDA

View Full Version : Cradle for simpad -homemade-

Torsten
January 30th, 2004, 04:22 AM
Hi folks,

i read that many simpad owners are looking for a cradle, so i post 2 pictures here of my homemade acrylic cradle.

I think that the prices you find on ebay are quite high, sometimes half of the price of a simpad. The disadvantage of my solution is that it does not charge the pad. Unless I find a source for the little siemens plug, my cradle could be modified in a way that the pad is charged as well.

The most positive aspect is that my solution cost me about 5 US $ only for a piece of acrylic glass I found at the local DIY store (Home Depot etc.). About an hour of work were polishing is taking some time and you are done.

If the community here needs further details (my first try was not satisfying) I will post them here upon request.

Torsten

Wilhelm
January 31st, 2004, 07:09 AM
Hi folks,
If the community here needs further details (my first try was not satisfying) I will post them here upon request.

Oh yes Torsten, please do. How did you bend the acrylic and what did you do about the connector?
I am most certainly interrested in that.

Thanks

Wilhelm

jhopkin
February 2nd, 2004, 11:49 PM
I think I'll give it a try. TAP plastics is supposed to have a "heat strip" for the purpose of bending acrylic but this guy just uses a heat gun:
http://www.bit-tech.net/article/99/

I'd like to be clever and mold the bottom curve of the Simpad into the stand. :D

-James

Ben S
February 7th, 2004, 02:02 PM
Wow. Looks -awesome-. Where do I order one? :) I'm no good with plastics.

jhopkin
February 9th, 2004, 12:47 PM
:D I'll make one for you, Ben - it's the least I can do. I'm figuring out how to embed the charger, should take me a couple of days. Email me your snail mail address. I'll post a pic when it's ready.

Looking forward to the next release. :wink:

-James

Ben S
February 9th, 2004, 07:05 PM
Wow. Looking forward to one with an embedded charger.

Next release will be out shortly.

Thanks!

Torsten
February 27th, 2004, 03:37 AM
Sorry folks being so late with my reply, but i am bussy right now (and jet lag from being in the US for 1 week).

I did it very simple: cutting the plexy with a power saw (make sure that you tape the plexy to prevent a "burn out"). I used 4mm plexy, so on each curve i bend, i added 4mm of material for the curve.

Using a heat gun, bend the plexy carefully. When everything is in shape, use a file to soften the edges and polish with car polish.

More details will follow when i am sucessfull in designing a cradle with a power connector.

@Ben I would be more than happy to ship one piec to you. :D

jhopkin
February 28th, 2004, 02:33 AM
Oops! Don't want Torsen to beat me to the punch. :wink: I made a dummy simpad out of wood so I can form the acrylic around it more easily. I'm still waiting to receive some pogo pins from ebay to try to enable charging. I'm using a second square piece of acrylic glued appropriately to match the square depression in the back of the simpad so the pins will align if they ever arrive.

-James

Torsten
February 28th, 2004, 07:39 AM
jhopkin,

it seems that with a wooden dummy simpad, you ad much more work than necessary. Since there are no "funny" shapes in that design, I have fixed the acrylic with a vise on the workbench, heated the upper and lower side (carefully) with a heat gun untill the acrylic got soft enough to be bend without any major force.

Hope this helps you to make the job more easy.

Regards

Torsten

Aaron
February 29th, 2004, 02:22 PM
here's my completely high-tech, super-duper expensive, massively difficult to implement SimPad stand...

http://members.cox.net/alevey/stand1.jpg
http://members.cox.net/alevey/stand2.jpg
http://members.cox.net/alevey/stand3.jpg

OK, OK ... these are only $2.99 USD at your local Bed, Bath & Beyond or Linens & Things store :lol:

yes... it is a book stand :wink:

Mastiff
February 29th, 2004, 02:50 PM
Man, I wish I had one of those shops in my area! But then I wish I had a place that sold Peter Pan crunchy peanut butter as well! :roll:

Ben S
March 4th, 2004, 01:48 PM
I may have to swing by a BB&B to pick one of those up, myself. The plastic would look nicer (especially if it charged), but that might also hold up my Point 1600. Right now it's in another stand that is a bit too deep for my tastes.

jhopkin
March 7th, 2004, 02:37 AM
I *really* want my stand to charge so I'm trying for a snug fit between the stand and the simpad to insure that the charge pins hit the charge points. My first couple stands are very promising and the wooden template makes it easy to match the bend at the bottom. Now if I could just get those pogo pins I'd be in business! -James

QuickCarl
March 7th, 2004, 08:22 AM
James - will you please give us the source of the pogo pins so that we can build a charging stand as well.

jhopkin
March 8th, 2004, 06:43 PM
re pogo pins - I've been keeping my eye on eBay for a while and this auction came up: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3800569979
I didn't win but the winner is willing to sell some pins - I've asked him for 100 @ $0.10 each which seems reasonable. His name is Tim Riddle (not Tom Riddle :wink: ) and his email is TRIDDLE@psgus.jnj.com. These look like the best fit for the job but until I actually get them and try them out I can't say for sure.
There's a link to the manufacturer on the auction page - someone could try contacting them I suppose.

There are bound to be other solutions to this problem but pogo pins seem like a good way to go. -James

jhopkin
April 3rd, 2004, 02:14 PM
Okay - I finally have a cradle that charges that I'm not too ashamed of.
http://home.earthlink.net/~jameshopkin/images/IMG_0360.gif

sorry this image is blurry - you can just barely make out that the charge LED is on.

Here's the thing by itself.
http://home.earthlink.net/~jameshopkin/images/IMG_0362.gif

Just plug your Simpad power supply into the back.

Ben if you like what you see PM me with your shipping address and I'll send it your way.

-James

Aaron
April 3rd, 2004, 05:14 PM
I know a guy that does acrylic and other plastics that could make these for us. Not sure what he would charge but they would look professional.
We could make it have a power plug (for your power supply) and the pogo pins. I'd need to get some pogo pins for the project.

If I get enough interest... like 10+ I'll look into it.

let me know.

jhopkin
April 3rd, 2004, 08:29 PM
I can make more like this if anyone is interested. Maybe I'll stick one on eBay and see what happens.

-James

Aaron
April 4th, 2004, 10:03 PM
My opinion is that I'd like to see a smaller version that has just enough surface area on the back to hold the unit secure. I think we could chop off the sides a bit.

I'd also want a black version... maybe out of ABS plastic... much cheaper too that way.

What do you think you could sell them for?

jhopkin
April 5th, 2004, 01:59 PM
Smaller works fine except that running the full width makes it more obvious how to insert the Pad properly. Black would be good as the bulk of the ugliness comes from being able to see through to the wiring and the acrylic cement. I'll try to stop by TAP plastics and see what they have in black. I'm using two thinknesses of plastic - a thin one that forms easily for most of it and a thicker one to match the indentation on the back of the Pad.

As to cost, the materials run maybe $10 so it is just a matter of how much I value my time. As I have two girls under 3 years old my time is at a premium. So I'll stick one on eBay and the market will tell me what it thinks. Since someone posted that the original one was "cheap" at 80 pounds sterling I figure $50 might be right for the hoi polloi. NetRemote contributors would pay less or course.

-James

Ben S
April 5th, 2004, 09:39 PM
Wow James. That looks -really great-. The color doesn't much matter to me, as if I end up using it in the theater, you won't be able to see the frame too much in the dark.

Really, -really- good work.