PDA

View Full Version : What battery life can I expect from a WiFi PDA Remote?

wyerd
January 30th, 2004, 06:51 AM
Is there anyone using a PDA as a remote and using WiFi? I'm looking at using Netremote and I'm wondering what sort of battery life I can expect when it's using WiFi?

What's the best WiFi PDA to get?

Thanks,
David.

Mastiff
January 30th, 2004, 12:48 PM
I have never yet run empty, I use an Ipaq 5450, which is very nice since it's got built in WLAN. All CF-cards, jackets and that kind of nonsense will use more power than anything built in. I'm not sure how long we're talking, but it may be between two and three hours.

wyerd
January 30th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Hi Tor,

Thanks for your reply. I was looking at the Dell Axim X3i as it's a bit cheaper than the Ipaq. Is this any good?

This 2 or 3 hours, is this running the Ipaq on standby? Does it need charging after 3 hours of the Wifi enabled? I currently have a mono pronto, but I want to go to the next level.

avid
January 30th, 2004, 03:41 PM
Hi,

I currently use an X5. This needs a CF card for WiFi. My guess is that the built-in WiFi of the X3i should be less battery hungry.

If I leave the PPC on and stop it from suspending, I guess I would get about 3 hours from it. If I let it suspend, the time goes up enormously. But the problem then is that it can take 5-10 seconds for NetRemote to become responsive, which I assume is the network setup time. And this is true even using fixed IP numbers and avoiding the delays of DHCP.

I also have to be sure to leave the PPC in the cradle overnight - every night - I recommend you do the same.

I hope this helps.

Brian

Mastiff
January 31st, 2004, 12:50 PM
I have no idea how the Dells are. And 2-3 hours is on full use, with both bluetooth and WLAN enabled (I never bother to turn them off).

Ben S
February 2nd, 2004, 07:30 AM
Agree that generally you're talking 3 hours with WiFi on. The new version has an option to turn the screen off but leave everything else on. I haven't done any tests yet to see how much additional time this gives you, but I would guess 30 minutes or so.

Also agree that you should get in the habit of putting it back in the dock instead of leaving it out. Having it go completely out of juice -really- sucks.

wyerd
February 3rd, 2004, 05:41 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. Wish I could test Netremote with my current iPaq 3830 before I take the plunge, but it doesn't have any wifi capabilities. Sounds like battery life is the only drawback of Netremote.

Mastiff
February 3rd, 2004, 12:38 PM
You should be able to test it when it's in the cradle. You can surf the Net when it's there, right?

wyerd
February 3rd, 2004, 03:05 PM
True - I'll give it a go & see what happens.

owagner
February 19th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Hi,

is there an (elegant) way of suspending the PPC under NetRemote program control?

One workaround which came to mind was using the "Execute command" and then run something like "Suspend.exe" from the PHM tools package.

The rationale: I've set the "suspend timeout" period on my IPAQ to 7200 seconds, so that the device never turns of during a normal movie session (the WLAN reconnection delay is too annoying otherwise, IMHO). However, I do have an "All Off" macro, and would like to turn of the PPC within that macro, so that it doesn't linger another 2 hours after shutting down everything.

Thanks!

Olli