PDA

View Full Version : OK, it is charged up and ready to go, what's next?

QuickCarl
February 11th, 2004, 11:34 AM
And tips on what to do and not do in getting my Simpad up and runniing with NetRemote?

Preferrably I would like to NOT make the mistakes that others may have in first starting.

Any tips guys?

TIA - Carl :?:

jhopkin
February 11th, 2004, 12:34 PM
Make sure your wifi card is working before running NetRemote. I did okay by installing the PPC 2000 version on the download page and them manually copying the latest .994 files over that. I still can't get the embedded browser to work but I hear that'll be fixed soon.

-James

Ben S
February 11th, 2004, 02:12 PM
Definitely check out the great docs Jeroen put together on the wiki (http://www.netremote.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php) concerning the simpad.

QuickCarl
February 12th, 2004, 10:45 AM
Thanks Ben... been there tried that.

Very frustrating time right now. Finally got the PHM Regeditor installed (after much trying and having to put the 'fake' DLLS in the machine).

Trying top install the NetGear MA401 isn't going well.... I am now getting a problem with the configuration utility having a fatal application fault.

I have uninstalled in reinstalled the NIC software (supplied by Aaron, thanks so much) but it isn't working.

Anythoughts? HELP!

-Carl

jhopkin
February 12th, 2004, 06:13 PM
I had no trouble with an Orinoco Silver NIC. I found a posting somewhere that talked about the Siemens NIC and the Orinoco Silver as being on the short list of Simpad friendly NICs.

-James

QuickCarl
February 13th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Thanks jhopkin.... the netgear MA401 is on the list too. Darn it...

Still can't get the NIC to work. Haven't had any luck in finding WinCE drivers for it anywhere.

Help!

Don't really want to have to buy another NIC since this one is supposed to work...

Wilhelm
February 13th, 2004, 06:24 PM
Hi Carl,

as far as my informations go, Allnet has drivers that work, supposedly for the ALL0192L. Additionally the generic PRISM-Drivers are supposed to work.
Just try to enter the correct dll-name when you are asked for the driver name when inserting the card. If I remember correctly it was prismwla.dll for the allnet driver.

I hope this helps.

Wilhelm

QuickCarl
February 13th, 2004, 10:11 PM
Wilhelm...

Thanks for the info... for some reason the Simpad has stopped asking for the name of the driver when I insert the card.

Does anyone know why that might happen, and more importantly how do I get it to ask again?

-Carl

QuickCarl
February 13th, 2004, 10:57 PM
Ok, the Allnet drivers are the ones that Aaron sent me. I installed them successfully, however when I start the configuration utility, I get a fatal application error caused by PRISMSTA.exe.....

Really disappointing... not sure how to change that behavior. I have uninstalled and reinstalled until I am blue in the face.

Anyone got suggestions? Anyone have a step by step set of instructions on how to get the NIC up and running.

I realize that I may sound like a novice, but I assure you that is not the case... just things aren't going well when I am following the sketchy directions that I have pieced together from the Wiki, Internet, and message threads.

Wilhelm
February 14th, 2004, 02:54 AM
I had the same problem. After you pair the card with a driver, WinCE does never ask again. I suppose it uses the same (buggy) driver you installed first no matter what you install afterwards.
So I made a rebuild from scratch. I cleared the memory and started over. (Hold the ALT-Button and rset the device). So the best thing is to install the drivers test them an go on after your NIC works properly.
You get quite fast after a while reinstalling everything. ;-)

Wilhelm

QuickCarl
February 14th, 2004, 07:04 AM
Wilhelm - are you saying that I need to reinstall the OS and all the apps on the Simpad?

The install instructions that I got on the CD are all in a foreign language (maybe german, could be Czech) does anyone have instructions in English?

QuickCarl
February 14th, 2004, 07:54 AM
Eureka!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am typing this from my SimPAD.

Now to install Net Remote.........

[Edit] See my message above for instructions for other MA401 users.