PDA

View Full Version : Best PPC for Consumer IR and 802.11b?

tomrusse
February 17th, 2004, 04:24 PM
I'm about to part ways with Pronto and attempt to control my HTPC and components via a PPC/Netremote combo. While Pronto is great for the components, I'm not having much success controlling xLobby products.

What are some recommendations for a PPC with decent consumer IR support (and distance) that would also integrate with my 802.11b setup?

Tom

Ben S
February 18th, 2004, 07:56 AM
The Dell Axim X3i is the way to go, if you ask me. Built in Wifi, good IR strength (at least 18 feet), and under $300 every other week.

tomrusse
February 18th, 2004, 11:55 AM
Thanks, I'll check it out.

jsl
March 1st, 2004, 11:53 AM
Can you configure NetRemote so the the scroll dial on the side of the X3i performs different functions than the up, down and press on the d-pad? I don't think that that's possible on the E740 that I have now (if it is, I haven't figured out how).

Thanks,
John

jsl
March 7th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Bump - Anyone?

Ben S
March 7th, 2004, 02:47 PM
As far as I know, no. I believe they correspond to the same "action" in hardware.

jsl
March 8th, 2004, 12:13 AM
Thanks Ben,

Thats what I was afraid of. I used to use a Palm OS device called a Handera which had a scroll dial which you could program separately from the up and down buttons. I was hoping that someone had something like it in the PPC world so I could have a couple of additional hard buttons, but wasn't holding my breath.

Thanks for all of your great work.

John

Ben S
March 23rd, 2004, 08:46 AM
No problem. Sorry my answer wasn't the one you were looking for.