PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Running Netremote/PDA/ad-hoc?

peker
March 1st, 2004, 08:00 AM
Hello! I was wondering if anyone was running Netremote on a PocketPC to control their carputer (preferably with a USB Wireless adapter on the carputer), in an ad-hoc configuration? I'm about to purchase the USB Wireless adapter for the carputer side, and want to be sure to buy the right one. For some of us, $50-$60 is an investment.

My PDA (Axim X5, PPC2003) runs a Linksys WCF12 perfectly with my WAP at home. Logically the Linksys WUSB12 or 11 seems right (no wardriving here).

I've searched, and found bits and pieces on the topic, but no definitive answer. If anyone has a system like this fired up and running (ad-hoc), I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks,

Paul

Mastiff
March 1st, 2004, 11:00 AM
I had it sort of running, but it was very unreliable in the long run (which means that at least in 10 % of the cases it didn't work - I'm very picky when it comes to reliabiliy!). Which is why I changed my approach, and now I have the perfect setup: A very cheap Belkin 11 mb WLAN access point with only one LAN connection, almost as small as an USB WLAN adapter. It's so small that I have mounted it with strips inside the metal suitcase which is my carputer, side by side with the two harddisks (120 and 160 gigabyte).

It is connected to the built in LAN port on the motherboard with a crossed TP cable (the type you use when connecting two computers to each other - regular cable doesn't work without a LAN switch or HUB). That's 100 %, at least it has been that since I put it in a week or so ago. I took a five hour drive on Friday and had no problems at all. This is a much better solution. I paid around 60 dollars here in Norway, but you can get old stuff like that even cheaper on E-bay. A nice plus is that you can cotrol the carputer at least twice as far away as with an ad-hoc connection.

peker
March 1st, 2004, 11:06 AM
Thank you for the input. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Can I please ask two more questions, based upon your response?

1. When you say, "didn't work," exactly how didn't it work? No connection from PDA to carputer? Dropped connections? Just curious...

2. Does your Belkin WAP require a power supply/DC-DC converter of some sort? Dumb, obvious question, I'm sure, but if there is one out there that can run on USB power, that would be cool.

Thank you!

Paul

Mastiff
March 1st, 2004, 12:57 PM
Usually problems connecting in the first place. I have no patience for that!
And no, it uses 9 V, so you can run it from a regular voltage regulator in the car. I use the 220 V power supply that's included with it since I need the carputer to run both in the car and at the cabin, where I hook it up to the stereo system. So I have an inverter in the car. But I'm sure you can find one that runs on 12 V. Oh, and I use a Shuttle barbones PCU, only 235 watt, but that's easily enough for a mainboard with an AMD XP1800, two harddisks and two sound cards. Why two sound cards? Because my son and daughter have their headphones connected to the front outputs of the two Sound Blaster Live! cards, while the headunit is connected to the rear speakers output on one of them (it's supposed to sound better, but I really do it since only the front speaker outputs are able to drive headphones at an acceptable sound volume). I love Media Center and NetRemote - that combination is impossible to beat! :D Small footprint Win98 Lite and Linux is for wimps, I run Win 2K3 Server @ workstation, with a return time from hibernation at around 16-18 seconds!

peker
March 2nd, 2004, 07:42 AM
Thanks, Mastiff. I appreciate your time and patience.

My best to you,

Paul

Mastiff
March 2nd, 2004, 07:44 AM
No problemo.

WinoOutWest
March 18th, 2004, 10:35 AM
I've got my carputer running in Ad-Hoc mode. I've only had it running for a few weeks but here is my feedback so far:

The connection seems stable enough although I need to tell my Axim to only accept peer-to-peer connections - otherwise I had trouble connecting.
I've had a few hour+drives without dropping any connections. I might make a new ccf though for driving- the panel is very hard to use unless you're stopped.