PDA

View Full Version : Questions for Dell X3i or X30

sapnho
May 30th, 2004, 09:05 AM
I am contemplating switching from the Simpad to a PPC. Mainly because it is smaller and therefore easier to handle. Reading through the various post here, I am considering going for the Dell X3i or X30.

Who is using these models and can tell me:

1) How long does it take to get a wifi connection when waking up?
2) How long does the battery last?
3) Is is worth going for the stronger processor model or is the basic pleasure model more than enough?

Thanks!

avid
May 30th, 2004, 10:32 AM
I use use a Dell Axim with a separate CF wifi card - the models with wifi built-in were far more expensive a year ago. So the figures might not be exactly comparable, but ...

When I wake up a suspended NetRemote, it normally takes about 5 seconds to become responsive and to update the dynamic objects (position counters, song titles, sliders etc) on the screen. You can press buttons before this time and they will tend to be queued up to be executed in a rush when it re-estiblishes a connection with Girder or whatever server you are using.

If you were to prevent your Pocket PC from sleeping, I guess you would get about 2 hours of battery life (depending on the backlight brightness). This would mean that the connection is held open permanently and the PPC would be immediately responsive. But I don't do that. Instead, I allow it to suspend after about 3 minutes of inactivity. So when watching pre-recorded TV, I can't skip past the adverts for about 5 seconds. But that is really the only annoyance.

I see no benefit in going for a top-of-the-range processor for NetRemote. The Axim is my dedicated HTPC remote control and runs nothing else. I have never felt it slow. Any obvious delays are in the communications (the 5 second setup), and the processor will make no difference there.

I hope this helps. Personally I believe that a Pocket PC running NetRemote makes a perfect remote control for most things.

Brian

sapnho
May 30th, 2004, 10:38 AM
Thanks. Which Axim are you using?

avid
May 30th, 2004, 11:01 AM
I use an X5 - the cheapest PPC I could find at the time that could use wifi.

I also use an HP Jornada 568 as a development/test machine to avoid disruption to the domestic TV setup.

Brian

lovingHDTV
June 1st, 2004, 08:36 AM
I'm looking into the exact same thing. I will be using the Axim as a PPC, but it would double as a remote in the evenings.

Does anyone know if the ir capabilities are the same? I do want to use the ir in the Axim, along with the wireless capablilities.

thanks,

Ben S
June 1st, 2004, 02:39 PM
If I remember correctly the price of the X30 is about the same as the X3i.

The main difference between the two is the X30 has bluetooth _and_ WIFI. Not a huge deal for some, but might be for others.

Both my Axim X3i and my Ipaq 4155 connect in 3-4 seconds, compared to 6-8 with my Axim X5 with CF card. Battery lasts 2:30-3:30 hours. Long enough for a movie, but you'd want to charge it as soon as you're done.

Cocophone
June 1st, 2004, 04:06 PM
I've seen reviews for 3rd party extended batteries for the axim pdas.

Check www.aximsite.com for some reviews.

I would like to get one. They run about $50 USD. and are a little thicker than the original dell battery.

sapnho
June 12th, 2004, 12:16 AM
Ben, does the x3i have an additional coin battery to protect the data when you run out of juice?

jwilson56
June 12th, 2004, 06:20 AM
I doubt I would ever use my PPC, tablets or other touch screen devices for my 'remote'. I prefer the tactile feel of a button under my finger in a darkended room for watching TV or a movie. I like my M5-500 which gives me more than enough macros and buttons to play with and handles Tivo just fine. I however love my Netremote/PPC Dell X5 for controlling my CD library and other 'high' end functions. It does stuff no remote control could do at any price. With the added functionality that Homeseer/hsGirder gives me for two way communication the combo can't be beat. Dell makes some nice PPC's and like others I bought mine before the X3 came out. I have the extended battery on mine which last a long time (got it new off Ebay - cheap).

John

Promixis
June 12th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Ben, does the x3i have an additional coin battery to protect the data when you run out of juice?

Yes it does.

I find wifi is about 3-7 seconds to reconnect. I would like to have a way to make the PPC just stay connected when certain screens are up - like zoom player.

avid
June 13th, 2004, 02:11 AM
I would like to have a way to make the PPC just stay connected when certain screens are up - like zoom player
Now that's a good idea! I guess I could do that as an option with my Zoom Driver.

The way I could see it working is that you could put a small button (possibly invisible or transparent) on the screens where you want to keep the PPC awake. Then, while that button is displayed, the PCC would inhibit the suspend.

Actually, this is of such general appication (not Zoom-specific) that it belongs in the NRBasic driver, but (I hope) Ben has a block on new features until 1.0 is out!

What do you think? Should I add it to my driver?

Brian

olyar15
June 18th, 2004, 09:50 PM
Another option is to buy another cradle and set it on the coffee table or somewhere else nearby. That way you can leave the PPC on all the time and not have the battery run down.