View Full Version : Are there any happy Simpad+NR users out there?

May 30th, 2004, 12:32 PM
I have never managed to make my Simpad+NR crash proof, so obviously its WAF is low and I may have to move on to PPC. Having said that, I really like the big screen of the Simpad and would love to get it to work PROPERLY i.e. without crashes. Websurfing works fine, but NetRemote is notoriously unreliable.

Does anyone have the perfect recipe for happy Simpad-NRing? :cry:

May 31st, 2004, 12:44 AM
Mine does not crash.

The only complaint I have is panel jumps are slow... taking 3 - 10 seconds each. IR commands are fast.

May 31st, 2004, 12:50 AM

could you provide a list of things that you have done to get NetRemote up and running? I know there is the tutorial on the wiki but that doesn't do it for me?

10 seconds for a panel jump? Are these very graphic intensive panels?

Ben S
June 1st, 2004, 01:35 PM
I'm relatively happy with the Simpad, but it's definitely not quite up to snuff in the performance department.

I think 800x600x16 bit is just a little too much screen for the power of the Simpad. I can use it to play media, but button presses do take a moment to redraw compared to a PPC or my Point 1600 tablet.

It's fully stable, for me, just not 100% in the performance department.

June 3rd, 2004, 02:16 AM
Hi Sapnho,

you could try using this cemenu 0.9b8 (http://www.hpc.ru/soft/software.phtml?id=4935) instead of the fake-dlls. Just copy the contents to your windows directory. Additionally you should put a link to OKApp.exe into your startup folder. This helps closing PPC dialogs that have no close gadget.

I found that these dll's made the SIMPad much more compatible to PPC pograms.

June 3rd, 2004, 11:18 AM
The cold war is really over... :wink: :wink: :wink:

June 3rd, 2004, 05:53 PM
Not really. Haven't you had visits from russian hacker groups? FBI, CIA and the White House has...

June 3rd, 2004, 10:00 PM
where do you get OKapp.exe -- can you upload it to the board?

Also, what does the 'cemenu 0.9b8' do?

June 4th, 2004, 03:40 PM
OKApp.exe is part of the cemenu zip file. The rest is as I stated above, these dll's make for a better compatibility to PPC.

Ben S
June 5th, 2004, 10:11 PM
Wow Wilhelm - these .dll's work -great-! Much better than the other fake dlls.

One question, now that I've run OKApp once, and flipped some setting, it thinks the device is 240x320 for everything, and I can't find a way to fix it at all. I'm assuming letting the batteries run out will fix it.

June 6th, 2004, 07:47 AM

if you want to delete everything you don't need to drain the batteries. A simple call of PowerOff.exe does it and is much faster. ;-)
Here's a better idea:
I think you switched "Taskbar On Top" in the settings. There seems to be a bug in this setting.
Remove the OKApp from the Startup folder and make a soft reset. to get back your normal taskbar.
After that start the registry editor and reset the "taskbar on top" to 0 in Hkey_Current_User/Software/Dic/OkApp.
Then you can restore the startup.
That should do it

BTW. What about the GC? ;-)

Ben S
June 10th, 2004, 06:42 PM
Hi Wilhelm - GC is coming along. After the 15th I will be aggressively moving to get IR (in general) working tip-top.

Sorry for the delay.

June 10th, 2004, 09:14 PM
Ben & Wilhelm,
When I use OKapp (works nicely too) I also get the bug you netion with the "small" screen.

But, I also get another odd thing... only in NR (ever other app is fine) the tool bar is on the bottom, not the top?

and the OK & Cancel buttons do not show when I have them "checked" in OKapp.

June 11th, 2004, 03:06 AM

that's exactly the purpose of OKApp. This program is ment to simulate the PPC menue and dialog buttons on WinCE. On the PPC the menue bar is also on the bottom. The buttons are shown in the taskbar when they are needed.