PDA

View Full Version : What hardware are you running Netremote on?

jwilson56
June 12th, 2004, 05:09 PM
I am thinking of getting a tablet for Netremote for my wife to use in the family room. I was thinking along the lines of the Fujitsu 3400 or Progear. Does anyone run Netremote on either of those and if so how well does it perform? If not what tablets do you run it on and how well does it work? Thanks

John

Rob H
June 12th, 2004, 05:25 PM
I'd have thought that any fairly recent tablet PC would run it quite well.

I'm running it on a very old PII 233Mhz machine and it's a little slow, but still quite useable (girder is also running on the same machine), so anything with more power than that should be more than adequate.

Doesn't the tablet PC spec mean that you have to use a stylus to operate it though?

I keep meaning to power up one of my Fujitsu PT510's to run NR on

jwilson56
June 12th, 2004, 06:09 PM
I would prefer to use a resistive screen so when I say tablet I mean the older 'non-MS spec'd' ones without active pens. I am using Point 510's now and they work but are slow. For my wife's I would like something faster. Just want to make sure a 400Mhz will be zippy enough or maybe go with an Airpanel remote desktop for that one.

John

Rob H
June 12th, 2004, 06:20 PM
Wow! Those Airpanels are expensive!

Does it have to be wireless?

A wired touchscreen monitor and something like a Mini-ITX motherboard might be cheaper. That's what I'm moving towards since I've already got the monitor.

Ben S
June 13th, 2004, 10:33 AM
My Point 1600 (166 mHz Pentium MMX) is plenty fast for NetRemote, so the 3400 should be more than adequate.

jwilson56
June 13th, 2004, 10:41 AM
I thought about getting a 1600 off Ebay that needed the power pack or hard drive as the 510 is the same. I would be interested in seeing how fast my Nowplaying project would be on the 1600. The 3400 has a fan so I am worried about the noise factor.

John