PDA

View Full Version : The best WiFi Card I ever tested

Wilhelm
June 19th, 2004, 04:44 AM
Hi,

yesterday I received a new WiFi Card as I am constantly searching for something better.
I got the Socket WLan CF Card an I am really pleased with it. I installed the drivers on every available iPaq, the SIMPad on PPC2002, WM2003 and NET4.1 and everything ist working great. It has been a long time since I could say that about any hardware I bought.
And the best is, it's really low power. They say it take only 20mA in reveiving mode which is quit low.

So just to let you know if you are searching for a CF-Card for your device, take a look at the Socket card.

Aaron
June 19th, 2004, 10:43 AM
how long does it take to connect using the SimPad on CE4.1?

Wilhelm
June 19th, 2004, 11:02 AM
:D Good question,

but apearntly WinCE is responsible for the delay. There is nothing the card drivers can do about it. It takes 5-10 seconds as usual. :(

Wilhelm
June 19th, 2004, 01:48 PM
Ok, I have tocorrect myself. I took an exact tmining and it took 15 to 20 seconds until a running NR updated its JMRC screen. Same with I-Gate an Allnet0192.

Aaron
June 19th, 2004, 05:40 PM
yeah... i thought that would be the case :(

definitely need a screen saver for the SimPad!

citivolus
October 17th, 2004, 09:27 PM
I just bought a SimPad and already have the Socket WiFi CF card. Which driver did you use with which version of CE on your SimPad? What kind of battery life are you seeing with the WiFi enabled?

thanks!

Hi,

yesterday I received a new WiFi Card as I am constantly searching for something better.
I got the Socket WLan CF Card an I am really pleased with it. I installed the drivers on every available iPaq, the SIMPad on PPC2002, WM2003 and NET4.1 and everything ist working great. It has been a long time since I could say that about any hardware I bought.
And the best is, it's really low power. They say it take only 20mA in reveiving mode which is quit low.

So just to let you know if you are searching for a CF-Card for your device, take a look at the Socket card.

Wilhelm
October 18th, 2004, 02:35 AM
I used it with CE4.0 if I remember correctly. Socket provided the matching driver.
I don't use this card in my SIMPad any more, because it made not significant difference in battery life. The SIMPad seems to use most of its power for backlighting. So the WLAn card isn't the issue here. So I put the card in one of iPAQs which benefit much more from the low power consumption.

Mastiff
October 18th, 2004, 02:58 AM
That long? I seem to remember that it took less than my Ipaq when I used the original Siemens WLAN card, and the Ipaq takes from 5 to 8 seconds. But I found out that it's *very*dependant on the access point you're connecting to. The newest AP (a run of the mill (read: cheap ass) 3Com AP) took the above mentioned time, while the old one took a lot longer. I seem to remember 30 seconds, but that may be wrong. Anyway, changing that AP gave me a shock because of the incredible speed.

citivolus
October 18th, 2004, 07:01 AM
Did you use the HPC 2000 driver on Socket's website? They only seem to provide that one (which would seem to me to be quite old for the SimPad) or the Pocket PC2002/2003 drivers. If not, could you please provide a link?

thanks again.

I used it with CE4.0 if I remember correctly. Socket provided the matching driver.
I don't use this card in my SIMPad any more, because it made not significant difference in battery life. The SIMPad seems to use most of its power for backlighting. So the WLAn card isn't the issue here. So I put the card in one of iPAQs which benefit much more from the low power consumption.

Wilhelm
October 18th, 2004, 07:13 AM
Just to make sure, we are talking about the new version of the Socket CF card, right?
All drivers I see there are dated 09/13/04. http://www.socketcom.com/support/support_wlan.asp?Type=CF1
I think I used the 2003 version on the SIMPad.

The older socket card has an even better performance, but does not run on the SIMPad.

citivolus
October 18th, 2004, 11:47 AM
ouch. I've got the older Socket CF WLAN card. Why do you think it doesn't work with the SimPad? Since you're successfully using the Windows CE 3.0 driver for the new Socket card, I would hope I could use the corresponding Socket Windows CE 3.0 driver for the old one located at http://www.socketcom.com/support/support_wlan.asp?Type=CF2

I was also hoping to try the drivers from Symbol (since these Socket cards are just rebandaged Symbol ones). I'm currently using the PocketPC 2003 Symbol drivers located at http://www.symbol.com/services/downloads/documentation_drivers.html with my Dell Axim and the old Socket WLAN card, and I get great performance and battery life. It connects to my Linksys WAP54g literally in about five seconds.

Wilhelm
October 18th, 2004, 12:21 PM
You can allways hope, but I never got it to work.
To my knowledge there are no drivers that work with the spectrum24 chipset in CE4.0
The Symbol drivers are compatible, but they are far older than the latest Socket drivers. I think Symbol in an OEM of Socket.
Also you will not get CE3.0 drivers to run on CE4.x
Sorry