PDA

View Full Version : Girder detecting different codes when learning - NEED HELP!

ASiDiE
August 30th, 2004, 09:07 AM
I seem to be having some problems with my new USB-UIRT and my Radio Shack 2117 8-1 remote. I am wanting to program girder with command to control mytheatre. I have found a GML file containing all the command you would want with mytheatre and all I have to do is have Girder learn the commands. I set up the key I want (open epg guide key G). I select mytheatre from the list. I then click the learn command, place the remote like 3 inches away from the UIRT and girder picks up the command with no problems. The problem I am having is that it seems like the KEY or Code that the remote or girder detects changes. I have seen about 4 different codes for the same key pressed. I can click on the same command and learn the same key and it will come up with a different code. The codes usually start with like 390, 55*, 714, 80*. I noticed this problem when I went into mytheatre and sometimes it works on the first try. Other times it could take like 3 to 5 tries to get that code. I have also tried using a Dishplayer 7200 remote with all the PVR function keys. I still get different codes. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to learn these command under the USB-UIRT driver first? Any suggestions to my problem would be totally appreciated.

jon_rhees
August 30th, 2004, 10:57 AM
To see if you get consistent codes, skip learning for the moment and look at Girder's status bar (at the bottom of Girder) and watch what codes come up when you press a button.

Also, when learning Girder events (like you are doing) do *not* hold the remote so close -- you're trying to capture events from the USB-UIRT's long-range receiver (this is different than the short-range receiver used while learning for IR transmission) and you could be overpowering the sensor.

-Jon

ASiDiE
August 31st, 2004, 09:28 PM
I am still having some problems with this. About every 2 clicks I get a different code. I am checking this in the status bar of girder. The UIRT is about 7 feet away now and I am checking it on 2 remotes again.... after I just said that I tried it out on a couple more remotes. One is my non-universal remote for my VCR. The codes are very stable when I use it. I am also using a ReplayTV remote. Which is kind of a universal remote to where you can use it for your tv.. but thats it. The 3rd remote is my dishplayer 7200 remote. It also just has the option to turn off an on the tv. It however gives me different codes about every 3 times I press it. This is also the same on my Radio Shack 15-2117 8-1 remote.

On thing that I did notice is that when I use my VCR remote the codes only change like 3 or 4 digits close to the end. With the other remotes I get like HUGE number changes ranging from 3900000000D0 to like 8000000000D0. But even with these huge changes I seem to get 4 to 7 numbers only. So if I got like a 5550000000D0 number I would get that again maybe in the next click or several clicks. Its like each button has 4 to 7 codes it puts out.

After doing all these tests I don't know what to think. I know people are using universal remotes with Their UIRT's. I know how they should work but it is not. Does this have anything to do with the frequency of the remote? I guess I don't know much about this so this is why I am asking. Any answers to my questions would be great!

ASiDiE
August 31st, 2004, 09:31 PM
After some more testing I might have figured something out. I guess the 2 remotes I am having the problems with are using dishnetwork codes. When I switched my 8-1 over to the tv setting and clicked the buttons the random codes goes away. From the looks of it... it sounds like it does not like the dishplayer codes. If anyone has any thoughts on this please let me know.. I am going to switch it over to TV and see how it goes.

jon_rhees
August 31st, 2004, 10:16 PM
You are correct -- Dish Network codes are unusual since the Dish Network remote emits a constant stream of codes with no breaks in between. The net effect is that the code will *vary* depending on *how long* the button is pressed. To see this effect, try 'tapping' the button, which will get you consistent codes. In addition, if you 'hold' the button down for >.5 second the USB-UIRT will get the hint that the IR stream is not going to pause and will yield up a consoistent code which will always begin with '80'...

-Jon

Joseph S
September 14th, 2004, 03:41 PM
I'm seeing the same thing with my Gefen DVI switch remote, I can actually see the codes cycle in the girder control panel. Is there a way to capture them all other than trying forever to get each one?