PDA

View Full Version : WOL doesnīt function with UIRT2 -> strange voltages?

Mac23
September 23rd, 2004, 04:58 PM
Iīve built the UIRT2a on my own and everything is working fine except the power up feature.
First I will post my measured voltages on pin RB2 (I used the toggle function for testing):

voltage on pin RB2 (directly): 0V
voltage on pin RB2 after R4 (3K3): 0V
voltage on pin RB2 after darlington array: 0V

after pressing a button on the ir:

voltage on pin RB2 (directly): 4,9V
voltage on pin RB2 after darlington array: 0,5V

Iīve connect the the end of R4 to the WOL connector but nothing happens when I press the desired button (WOL enabled in the BIOS).

I think itīs strange that the voltage after R4 is always 0V :-?

Any hints? Are those voltages ok?

Thanks...

danward79
September 24th, 2004, 12:05 AM
Hi,

I would have some suggestions, but I need a schematic, as I do not have a uirt, and do not know the circuit layout.

Could you post a link.

Dan

Mac23
September 24th, 2004, 07:00 AM
I would have some suggestions, but I need a schematic, as I do not have a uirt, and do not know the circuit layout.

I used this one: http://users.skynet.be/sky50985/uirt2a_schem.pdf with some changes:
- I only use TxD, RxD and GND (so I removed D1, D2, ZD1, R9, R7)
- RB0 is unused --> connected to GND
- RA1, RA0, RB4, RB1 unconnected (not used)
- got the power from +5V WOL pin

Marcus

danward79
September 24th, 2004, 11:49 AM
OK,

Please triple check you wiring, soldering etc, etc. Check for solder bridges, and shorts.

Next you have removed D1,D2, and ZD1, etc. So How is MCLR connected now?

If you check the data sheet for the pic, what does it say to do with un used pins?

Also, I know this is silly, but you did program it did'nt you?

When you say after R4, do you mean the connector side of R4? Where did you connect R4 to the top pin?

Sorry for so many questions!

Dan

Mac23
September 27th, 2004, 08:38 AM
Sorry for the late post...

Please triple check you wiring, soldering etc, etc. Check for solder bridges, and shorts.

I canīt find something - everthing should be ok. The UIRT is also working with Girder (receiving and sending signals correctly)

Next you have removed D1,D2, and ZD1, etc. So How is MCLR connected now?

Itīs connected to R3 (10K) which is connected to +5V WOL.

If you check the data sheet for the pic, what does it say to do with un used pins?

Mhh - I found nothing special. I canīt imagine that this would be the problem.

Also, I know this is silly, but you did program it did'nt you?

Yes, I did - it wouldnīt function with Girder, if I didnīt program it ;)

When you say after R4, do you mean the connector side of R4? Where did you connect R4 to the top pin?

With after R4 I meant the connection between R4 and the WOL-Connector (or something else). Itīs not the connection between RB2 and R4...

Marcus

danward79
September 27th, 2004, 02:01 PM
Hi,

I think I now understand the functionality of the WOL.

Correct me if I am wrong, but, it is used to switch on the PC on reception of an IR signal by the UIRT.

Now based on this... If it is correct.

You said, 4.9V at RB2. on an IR reception. 0V at the WOL connection. You either have a problem with you wiring and assembly of the PCB or your motherboard is not connected to the UIRT right or your MB switches differently to normal.

So based on this... Take a resistance measurement between rb2 and the wol wire comming of the uirt pcb, not connected to anything. Take a resistance measurement from gnd of the uirt pcb to both sides of r4.

This should give us a clue as to weather you have a short or a misconnection.

Also check if your MB switched in the sameway as normal, and that the pins are connected correctly.

for example. If the WOL (from UIRT) was on the wrong pin of your MB connector, i.e. GND, it would explain your findings.

Dan

Mac23
September 28th, 2004, 07:10 AM
Hello,

yes itīs right - you can use an IR signal to switch on your PC.
You can do this by programming the PIC (using the UIRT driver in
Girder) with the desired IR signal. You can choose between the
following signals on RB2 (or another pin):

- Pulse (sets the output on RB2 to 5V for a short while)
- Clear (sets the output on RB2 to 0V)
- Toogle (I think thatīs clear ;) )
- Set (sets the output on RB2 to 5V)

According to your answer I got the following resistance measurements [see attachment]:

UIRT not connected to PC and power:

RB2 <-> WOL: 3,3K [red]
GND <-> WOL: 23,7K [blue]
GND <-> RB2: 20,4K [green] (that should be the resitance of the PIC)

UIRT connected to PC and power (RB2 output = 0V):

RB2 <-> WOL: 2,24K [red]
GND <-> WOL: 2,27K [blue]
GND <-> RB2: 0K [green]

I also checked my MB connector. According to the attachment I used "+5 Volt Standby" as power for the UIRT and I connected "PME" to the WOL wire after R4.
I also checked the WOL function. After shutdown the PC I connected "+5 Volt Standby" for a very short while to "PME" and the PC switched on.
And thatīs the problem with the UIRT - I always got 0V at the WOL wire after R4.

Marcus

danward79
September 28th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Hi,

Is the attachment for your motherboard? What is your motherboard?

The voltage measurements you took originally are they with the uirt connected to the MB WOL plug?

First I will post my measured voltages on pin RB2 (I used the toggle function for testing):

voltage on pin RB2 (directly): 0V
voltage on pin RB2 after darlington array: 0V

after pressing a button on the ir:

voltage on pin RB2 (directly): 4,9V
voltage on pin RB2 after darlington array: 0,5V

Dan

Mac23
September 28th, 2004, 01:25 PM
Yes, the attachment is copied from the manual of my motherboard (Asus A7V133-C).

I donīt know why but after a new test and measurement, the power up with UIRT works :-)

I measured the following:

WOLwire (PME) connected:
voltage on pin RB2 after R4 (WOL wire): 2,44V (thats new :-/ )
voltage on pin RB2: 4,9V

WOL wire (PME) disconnected:
voltage on pin RB2 after R4 (WOL wire): 4,9V (thats new :-/ )
voltage on pin RB2: 4,9V

very strange - but now it works

...BUT...

there is another annoying problem with WOL:

If I shutdown my pc it starts directly again (instead of being switched off) which didnīt happend without the WOL-connection of the UIRT :-(

Marcus

danward79
September 28th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Hi

I am wondering weather the plug connections are correct, also did you try changing the uirt to pulse?

Dan

Mac23
September 28th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Yes I switched to the pulse signal.

The shutdown problem is also gone... :-)

The last strange thing is the voltage at the output of the darlington array. According to http://www.fukushima.us/UIRT2/UIRT2A-External%20Connections.htm: "For WOM ... you have to use Output 4 to generate the negative pulse."

But I measured +0,5V at pin OUT 4 which isnīt negative. Because of this I canīt use the prefered WOR function (itīs better for me because of the simpler wiring).

danward79
September 28th, 2004, 04:05 PM
I suppose it is good that it all works now!

:)

Mac23
September 28th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Ok, thank you very much for your help.

I finally found out, that I can use the WOL wire also for Wake On Ring but I have to remove the 3K3 resistor (otherwise the PC canīt detect the ring signal on pin 9 of the com port because the voltage is probably too low). Another option could be a MAX232...iīll see.

The main thing is, that it works now :wink:

Marcus