PDA

View Full Version : IR Learn function

tomgru
October 10th, 2004, 10:19 PM
OK... I'm pretty excited about this, as I was using PDAWin as a go between to learn the IR codes of my remotes. But for the life of me, I can't figure out how to make this work, nor can I find any forum advice or docs on it.

Please... How does one use this feature?

Promixis
October 11th, 2004, 01:15 AM
Hi,

What device are you using?

Have you setup the IR plugin?

Do you have a ccf loaded?

Did you find the ir learn?

What version of NR? Pro? Did you read the pdf help doc?

tomgru
October 13th, 2004, 05:48 PM
Sorry about the late reply... here's what I have:

Device is a Compaq PPC (I also have others)
Don't knwo what you mean about setting up IR pluggin?
I do have a CCF loaded
The IR Learn command is on the menu, and is not greyed out, but when I select it, I'm not sure what do do next.
I have the lastest 1.0 version of PRO, and couldn't find anything about IR learn in the PDF, other than it's location in the file menu.

axim30
October 15th, 2004, 02:30 PM
1) select IRlearn in the menu
2) press the button you want ot learn the code for
3) press the corresponding button on the source remote and
the code will be learned

beware as the system keeps on learning buttons until you switch learn mode off,
also if no IRresponse is received in 5 sec that button will be cancelled but learning
mode remains on.

Above just from experimentation as I've just started to use NR.
Sofar great app, JRMC over the network is great and the remote control part
is slowly starting to work (my fault not NR, I'm learning how to do it)

grtz
nico

tlongacre
October 19th, 2004, 09:31 AM
I have the same total confusion about how to set up the IR functions. I must say I was hoping/expecting for something along the lines of Nevo.

So, axim3, I have a question --

What do you mean by "press the button you want to learn the code for"? What button? On what machine?

It seems, am I correct?, that I have to learn how to design and code an interface if I want to have a button to push for my TV that would then bring up a page of controls for my TV (for instance).

I must say that this makes the learning curve horrendously steep from my perspective and I'm surprised NetRemote doesn't come with a basic interface for the usual types of IR devices one would have (TV, VCR, DVD, TIVO, etc.). Or does the retail version have this? (I'm just trying out the demo at the moment.)

Promixis
October 19th, 2004, 10:11 AM
Sorry, the default IR devices were not included in the latest PRO release. They are attached here.

tomgru
October 19th, 2004, 10:21 AM
Sorry, I'm still confused.

Do you point the NR Remote (with it's CCF or other) file at the remote you want to learn, and then do the steps listed above? I tried this and nothing seemed to happen. Is there some sort of indication (like a beep) that the code was learned?

Promixis
October 19th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Download and copy the file to your PPC.

Goto file/load and load it.

Select the device you want.. ie CD

Goto tools/irlearn

Click the button you want to learn.

The IR learn screen will appear.

Hold you remote about 10 inches from the ppc. Press the button you want to learn.

tlongacre
October 19th, 2004, 01:08 PM
Mike,

Yea, thank you. That was quite helpful (well, or I think so, but we'll see when I try it tonight at home :o ).

The thing about pointing the remote at the PPC is what is so confusing, I think. With all other "learning" remotes and with the PPC version of Nevo, you point the device at the machine that you want to control.

Also, to tungru -- there is a Preference for IRLearn or IR that turns a beep on, I'm pretty sure. My PPC beeps and I could swear I saw a preference to set that.

Promixis
October 19th, 2004, 04:04 PM
Also,

You can download predone ccfs from www.remotecentral.com

tlongacre
October 19th, 2004, 06:42 PM
Hmm, well I went to that site and well, it's a bit over my head. I have to say that I don't understand the language. Pronto, Tonto, it all sounds like western horsey terms to me.

So, where would I find CCF files to download from that site? I suppose it's too much to ask that they'd already have one pre-made for, say, my JVC DVD/VCR?

tomgru
October 19th, 2004, 07:24 PM
Hmmm... I'll try this again tonight, but I don't remember an "IR Learn" screen ever appearing on the PPC when I envoked the fuction from the menu. Hence my confusion.

tlongacre
October 19th, 2004, 09:17 PM
No, there is no IRLearn screen. On the menu, you check IRLearn on (or off, it is a toggle). Then you tap on whatever button on the PPC screen you want to take on the role of some button on your remote. Then a little window should pop up and say "press the key you want to memorize within 5 seconds" or something equally obtuse. If you press a key on a remote and that remote is pointed at your PPC, you should hear a beep. Then it is memorized.

Chas821
October 29th, 2004, 11:16 AM
I'm about to try doing this on an extremely simple CCF that I designed in Tonto (going to control my blinds via IR). But I have a pretty basic question. Where do the IR codes get stored in my Axim30? Am I going to be limited by the amount of system memory in the PPC or can I store NR related items on an expansion memory card (SD card)?

Chuck

Promixis
October 29th, 2004, 01:49 PM
The codes get added to the CCF. So copy your ccf back to your pc to back it up. I wouldn't be concerned about storage...