PDA

View Full Version : ATI All-in-wonder Radeon

Ron
October 13th, 2002, 03:55 PM
I've read on a news group that ATI released the WindowMessage specification to their TV and or DVD software. And a user on that forum commented that Girder would be able to control that and that he would make an exported group. I'm hoping that he will pass that group to me!

Even without this WindowMessage specification you can probably control the software.

-Ron

[Edited by RonB on 03-13-2001 at 09:36 AM GMT]

Ron
Well it took me about an hour to find the posts about this again but here they are:

JKohn asks how about Window Messages cause he knows about a good program called girder that can handle these:
Question (about halfway down the page post time 11.05pm) (http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000078-2.html)

Stephen Orr from ATI gives the answer allmost at the bottom of the page:
Answer ( posted at 2:31pm) (http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000078-5.html)

He links to this ATI Developers release (http://www.ati.com/na/pages/resource_centre/dev_rel/devrel.html)

This is a good thread for all you ATI owners so give it a Look (http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000078.html)

Now i'm hoping that JKohn will be so friendly as to supply the exported group :-)

Regards,
Ron

Ron
C tends to make me curl up into a fetal position, and cry for mommy!)

And we don't want that :-)

I'll be releasing the new and updated girder tomorrow, maybe even tonight depends... then this whole trick isn't needed but here we go!

* Install girder lets say c:girder ( just easy to type for now )

* Unzip girder.exe from the prerelease zip into c:girdergirder.exe

* Unzip the sendmessage.dll into the
c:girderpluginssoftwaresendmessage.dll

* Then start girder and go to the settings tab, and enable the sendmessage plugin.

* Add a command

* Select the command, go to the "plugins tab" on the main girder window and select sendmessage.

* Click on Settings, fill that in with the values you find in the ATI docs

* Then press target on the plugin tab

* Target the ATI window, NOT the child windows ( buttons) or anything just the main window

If you are still having troubles don't hesitate to ask!!

-Ron

Ron
I'm sorry maybe I should also have mentioned that WM_USER is a number 1024 to be exact. Thus if their API states

WM_USER + 100, you fill in 1124

One more thing be sure to fill the number in in decimal. These kinds of documents tend to list the numbers in HEX. You can convert the numbers with the friendly windows calculator on advanced mode. ( set it to HEX, enter the number then set it to DEC voila )

-Ron

Ron
Are you using the correct version of the ATI software ? And can you exactly specify what you filled in the WindowMessage plugin and the exact target settings that you choose.

-Ron

Ron
Please try this .gir file, I don't have the ATI cards but this should work.

ATIGeneric.gir (http://www.stack.nl/~stilgar/windoze/files/ATIGeneric.gir)

Be sure to follow the installation instruction from the ATI document!!

-Ron

Ron
I'm glad it worked, and the targetting isn't easy at first, so don't worry about it :)

If you finish it could you send me the .gir file so I can include it on the export list ?

-Ron

[Edited by RonB on 03-14-2001 at 08:00 PM GMT]

Ron
nmirza sent me the exported groups and i've put the on the exported groups page so all you ATI owners get them while they are hot!!

-Ron

Ron
RobertR,

I'm aware that Girder isn't easy at first, but that is the price that has to be paid if you want an application with lots of power.

Secondly, I'm not sure if the uploaded file uses all the function that can be used via the Sendmessage mechanism. Maybe some ATI owner can comment on this.

Third, not every program supports the method of controlling via the keyboard, this may seem trivial but its quite hard to accomplish, as there are dozens of methodes that a program can react to user input. Thus Girder has to support a great deal of them.
The reason for the usage of the sendmessage plugin is because ATI supplied a remote control interface with for use SendMessage, this is 'garantueed' to work.

But mostly you don't need to know anything about programming stuff if you want to use Girder. Only the SendMessage plugin is a 'little' techincal. But you don't need to be bothered with the details if the exported group is available. If you have questions about how to use a certain feature feel free to ask here!!

Ron

Ron
Hi all,

First of did you enable the sendmessage plugin ?

-Mike
While targetting (or trying to) did you click on show invisible targets ? And pressed refresh ?

-Mike
Loading a DLL for another program doesn't sound possible, but it depends how the loading works now... So I can't help on that one.

-Dan
Yes the antirepeat is in milliseconds. And do you have your display scaled ? That might explain the cutoff fonts. (just so i know)

If the problem persists we might ask a ATI support guy to read this thread. He might have a few answers.

Darmok
I'm using an All in Wonder Radeon in one of my systems and found that the only way I could get the DVD functions to work properly was to set the focus to the DVD window before I sent the command. I used all of the keyboard hotkeys for the DVD player and set the target for theses keyboard commands to forground task. That way it makes the DVD window the focus and when it sends to the forground task its sending to the DVD window. Don't know why it only works this way. Command captures and the standard target window selections didn't work for me. They work fine with almost every other program I have though. Hope this helps.

Mark F
It appears the SendMessage plugin is only available in the 3.0.22 distribution. You don't mention which version of Girder you are using but 3.0.22 is the latest and available on the download page. http://www.stack.nl/~stilgar/windoze/download.html

As for the AIW specific stuff, I'm clueless. :(

Hope this helps.

nmirza
Has anyone tried using Girder/IRman to control the TV/DVD functions of the ATI card? I have just ordered the IRman, and am very interested in getting all this to work with my SONY AV-2100 Remote.

nmirza
Thanks. I'm kind of new to this IR area, but I've been looking for a good solution for a few months. Let me see if I got this straight...

I need to install Girder, then get the 3.0.22pre2 "update", and copy the sendmessage.dll into the plugin directory. Then, start programming buttons to interact with the plugin, using the commands listed in the ATI remote document. Does that about sum it up? Sorry if I sound ignorant, I'm a router/firewall guy, not a programmer (C tends to make me curl up into a fetal position, and cry for mommy!) ;-)

nmirza
Well, I downloaded pre4, and followed the steps in the ATI doc to register their DLL. I then followed the instructions that you posted, but nothing happens. I wonder... the ATI doc states that the message needs to be formatted at WM_USER+# (#=number code of command). The plugin doesn't seem to save the WM_USER+ part. Is this the problem?

nmirza
Ahhh... Thank you wise one! I'll give that a shot.

nmirza
Nope. That didn't work. I have been able to get keyboard inputs to work, but only if I set the target to foreground window. I tried doing the same, but nothing happens. Any other ideas?

nmirza
That worked. It seems I have a bit to learn about targetting apps. I didn't get much chance to play with it this morning, but I'll try to extend that .gir later this evening.

Thanks

nmirza
Sure, I'd be glad to.

nmirza
RobertR-
Just a word of warning when dealing with the ATI group- Make sure you download the Generic Remote Interface package from ATI.com. Follow the instructions that are contained in the zip file. When I created that ATI group, I just added all of the functions for the TV and DVD apps that ATI had listed (I didn't bother with the VCD player). Like you, I found that there were some commands that I still wanted, so I added them as key press emulations. Also, you may want to get a copy of Mediacenter 7.1.

nmirza
This may be a little late, but I'm using all of this with Windows ME. I started out using MMC 7.0 (from the CD), but I upgraded to 7.1 (ordered the new CD). Everything worked fine. Due to some other problems, I decided to wipe and reload this past weekend. I haven't installed 7.0 at all, but the MMC panel still says 7.0. Hope that helps a bit.

Naveed

A Beer
I am new to Girder so I am far from up to speed with this great application.

So here goes.

I am kind of lost as to the proper steps to take in getting the ATI AIW functional with Girder.

I have registered the Genremctl.dll it seems
with no problem but I can not locate the
sendmessage.dll. Can anbody tell me where
to get this file?

Once the sendmessage.dll is installed in plugins, is it just a matter of learning an
IR code for the Play,Stop etc. commands listed in the ATIGeneric.gir or is there more?

On the Export Group page for ATI MMC TV controls and ATI MMC DVD Controls, it's the same same file which is the Genremctl.dll file. Is this the correct file?

Any help with this would be most appreciated.

Keith

A Beer
Mark,

Thanks for the heads up. I had downloaded the
zipped version before but I think Winzip didn't have overwrite files checked when I unzipped it. duh...

It's working now.

Thanks again,

Keith

RobertR
I am a complete novice at this stuff, and frankly I'm somewhat intimidated. Does use of this program really require THAT much Windows programming knowledge? I see references to C, etc. and I'm thinking "is it going to day a couple of days just to figure out how to emulate a simple keypress?"

Speaking of which, I downloaded and looked at the ATI file that was mentioned, and I'm disappointed in the listed feature set. It seems to be missing some of the DVD commands that can be issued from the keyboard, such as fast scan, angle, audio track selection, etc. My question is, is it really necessary to use this approach? Why can't I simply tell the thing to emulate a keypress, such as home, end, up, down, or a ctrl <character> or alt <character> command? Wouldn't that be more straightforward? What am I missing here? I'd appreciate any help given.

RobertR
Hi Ron, thanks so much for your help, both now and when I get the IRman. I will go ahead and dive in!

Daniel
Hi,
I am still having troubles configuring this card. I have downloaded the generic remote interface from ATI (and registered it) and tried the exported commands (linking to sendmessage) that were posted to this board. No response from the ATI window. I tried manually assigning buttons (like turning the TV on) without much success either (I know this isn't the preferred way).
I suspect I am having difficulties with the ATI drivers. I originally installed V 7.0 of the multimedia center (since it came on CD). Since then I uninstalled it and tried to install version 7.1. (for increased compatability) Funny thing is that the TV will say version 7.1 now, but the Multimedia Center LaunchPad STILL gives the 7.0 version. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks!
PS. an unrelated question-- I am trying to get the timing of my acer remote control (don't ask-- it was free)right, but find it really difficult to figure out good anti-repeat/state values. My english version seems to cut fonts off and I can't see what the anti-repeat time unit is. I guess it is in milliseconds?

Thanks for any help!!!

- Dan

Daniel
Oops,
Looks like my last message got mangled-- I was trying to figure out how to upgrade the MMC from 7.0->7.1, but while the individual TV component registers as 7.1 the MMC still reads 7.0. Is this my problem?
Thanks,

- Dan

Daniel
I'm running win2K professional and having these problems...

- D

Daniel
Working great now. It looks like making it work with invisible windows and not blocking IR commands to Girder when in the foreground was the key!

I think you are right with the font problem-- I am using large fonts with my 1600x1200 display.

This is superb software and support. Thanks so much for everything!

mterlouw
Does the ATI Generic Remote Control Interface work with Win98/ME? The reason I ask this is because when ATI released the GRC interface, their Multimedia Center software version 7.0 was only available for Win2k at the time. I installed MMC 7 anyways on my WinME system and it installed, but had glitches.

Well now MMC 7.0 (TV version 7.1), ATI DVD player 4.0, and the associated video drivers are available for Windows ME, so I downloaded and installed all three. Everything MMC-wise works great.

I downloaded the GRC Interface from ATI and registered the DLL like they said to in the documentation. The pop-up window said that the DLL registration was successful, and I've been in the registry and all the paths concerning GenRemCtl.dll are correct. But when I start up MMC it fails to load the dll. At least I assume that is what happens because when I have Girder open up the target-select dialog box, the "ATIGenericProxyWindow" is not there. If I type it in and click 'Find' it says "not found".

I downloaded the exported groups for this interface and tried them too, and they don't work (not surprising because they target the ATIGenericProxyWindow" which is not there).

So in conclusion, I'm pretty sure I tried everything I could, and it still won't work :( I figure the problem has to be with ATI's software (what's new?) ;)

If no one can help I was wondering if someone could answer a couple questions for me:

1. For people who've gotten this interface to work, what version of Windows are you running?

2. And for RonB or anyone else, is there a way I can manually load this dll? Maybe I can set up a batch file or something to launch the Multimedia Center and the remote control interface at the same time.

Thanks for the help if you can. I tried to mention all the pertinent info I could think of (I'm running the latest version of Girder BTW). If there's something I left out just ask.

Also thanks for making Girder, and thanks for making it available for free. I know it must take much of your time to continue making it better as well as provide support to us users.

Mike

mterlouw
Thanks for your fast reply Ron! Yes it works now :) The window was indeed hidden (invisible) so I checked 'Match Invisible Tasks' and hit refresh and there it was. Incidentally the reason I couldn't get the exported group posted on your page to work is because I had Girder set to not send commands when it's in the foreground. I was trying to send them using the Test Command option from the menu. Doh! Thanks again for the help and the great app.

Mike