View Full Version : PPC Can't Connect

October 16th, 2004, 01:13 AM
Okay, I have Media Center 11.105 (today's build) and NetRemote Pro demo version. NetRemote works from the same computer as Media Center -- sees the library, plays, etc.

However, I'm not having any luck with my PPC -- an HP 2215.

The PPC has a Socket wireless LAN card, I have a LInksys Wireless-G router. The card gets a good connection to the network. However, when I open NetRemote, it says it cannot connect.

The other thing, which may point to the problem, is that the PPC cannot get out to the Internet. Even though the wireless card shows 100% connection, when I try to go to a website, I get a "that page could not be found" message.

So. . . Something vague tells me this may be a firewall problem. However, I turned off the WinXP SR-2 built-in firewall and it didn't make any difference. That's pretty much the limit of my expertise in the area of firewalls so now I'm stuck. I really don't know how to troubleshoot or, better yet, solve this problem. NetRemote looks so potentially awesome but I can't try it out!

Thanks for any help.

October 16th, 2004, 03:57 AM
Did you install Netremote on the PC you want to connect to?

Try reinstalling on the pc you want to connect to.

October 16th, 2004, 05:32 AM
If you have a Socket WLan card, you have diagnostic tools on board. Try to ping you PC. Does this work?
As long as that's not working, nothing else will.
Does the card have a valid IP-Address in the same subnet?
Do you have entered a fixed IP or do you have a DHCP server running?

October 18th, 2004, 05:01 PM
Okay, I just figured out where I can "ping" from, but I'm at work. So I'll try that when I get home tonight. What IP should I be trying to Ping? That is, what exactly do you mean by "try to Ping your PC"?

Also, what do you mean by "does the card have a valid IP address on the same subnet?"? How would I know? Where would I look?

I have NOT entered a fixed IP, that is managed by the router. I do have WEP installed, so the PPC has to have a key to hook to the router, but that seems to be working. (I'll know how well when I can get home and "ping").

Thanks for the assistance.

October 19th, 2004, 02:10 AM
Oh man, seems that this will take longer....but I will try to keep this brief.

Every device, your PC, your router, your ppc and anything else in your network has to have a unique IP address. These addresses habe for numbers (0-255 that is) seperated by dots.
The first 2 are reserverd for private networks, so they don't collide with ip-addresses in the internet.
If you say your router manages the addresses you have to enable DHCP and enter a valid address range, from which the router will take it's addresses. e.g. - The router itsself sould have the address in this scenario.
All subnet masks should read
When you are sure everything in the router is set up properly, you should reboot your machines, so they can fetch a new ip-address from the router.
Alternatively you could enter IPCONFIG /RENEW on the command line of your PC (If its Win2K or XP)
After that you should enter IPCONFIG /ALL to see what the actual settings are. You should get something like this:

Ethernetadapter "LAN-Verbindung":

Verbindungsspezifisches DNS-Suffix: ds9
Beschreibung. . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com EtherLink XL 10/100-PCI-NIC (3C 905-TX)
Physikalische Adresse . . . . . . : 00-60-08-E3-67-A2
DHCP-aktiviert. . . . . . . . . . : Ja
Autokonfiguration aktiviert . . . : Ja
IP-Adresse. . . . . . . . . . . . :
Subnetzmaske. . . . . . . . . . . :
Standardgateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCP-Server . . . . . . . . . . . :
DNS-Server. . . . . . . . . . . . :
Primärer WINS-Server. . . . . . . :
Lease erhalten. . . . . . . . . . : Montag, 18. Oktober 2004 09:04:03
Lease läuft ab. . . . . . . . . . : Donnerstag, 21. Oktober 2004 09:04:03

That's in German but I think you will see what i mean. What is important is, that you get a valid IP-address ( in your case) , and that DNS and standard gateway are pointing to the router (
This is the same for your PocketPC but you have to use the socket diagnostic tools to see the corresponding entries.
If all that is correct, you should be able to ping your PC on and your router on and you should have access to the internet on both machines.
Let me know how it goes.

October 19th, 2004, 02:21 AM
If you don't already have a similar utility installed on your PPC you are going to need this to be able to check the IP and Ping other machines from your PPC.

October 19th, 2004, 02:25 AM
He can fiddle with that later. For now the socket drivers have all utilities he needs.

October 19th, 2004, 08:22 AM
Well, I checked the Socket site and found there was an update to the card manager which makes Wilhem's whole post make much more sense to me. And I found out what the problem was. There was an error with the WEP key on the PPC. The new Socket utility showed me that clearly (and that, because of that, I did NOT have an IP on the PPC). I could not see any of that with the old utility.

So, now I have the PPC talking to the laptop perfectly. Thanks for you help. I would never have looked for the update if you hadn't told me I was supposed to see things I couldn't!