PDA

View Full Version : Fujitsu 3400 w/Win2k Pro rocks with NR Pro

jwilson56
October 27th, 2004, 10:10 PM
Well I just finished installing Netremote Pro with Nowplaying on my Fujitsu 3400 running Win2K Pro & 192MB and all I have to say is it rocks!!!!! Its as fast as my 1.5GHZ desktop for switching screens and anything else I can throw at it. The Point 510's were usable but this screems.

So if your looking for a nice small resistive touch screen tablet then look at the Fujitsu 3400. There is plenty on Ebay right now that come with a floppy, mini-doc, CDROM Backpack and keyboard.

Just thought I would let you guys know of my experience so far...

John

Promixis
November 1st, 2004, 07:25 AM
They do look nice. How is the 800x600 screen?

Cocophone
November 1st, 2004, 12:30 PM
John,

I noticed one seller had them with a starting price of $299 and another had them for less, about $150 - $200 final prices.

The cheaper one had this in the description:

Parts of "touch-screen aka digitizer panel seem to be hard to press or do not respond. This may include the control buttons along the button for sound volume, etc

Have you notice any problems with the digitizer?

Sometimes on my Axim I have to give it a squeeze on the sides when the digitizer stops working.

jwilson56
November 1st, 2004, 03:57 PM
Well I am running the 800X600 screen (32bits) with my 640X480 Nowplaying and looks great. Also the speed on the 3400 is fast enough to actually run Nowplaying in 'full screen mode' with no slow down. I am quite happy with it. Honestly I see no difference from my 1.5 GHZ desktop over the 3400 for Nowplaying. The Point 510's are usable but the 3400 flies.

As for the price differences on Ebay I suspect that the guy has gone through these units and graded them. I notice some are listed as A and B grade and others are listed as not quite perfect. I bought an A grade unit. They also come with the floppy and CDROM backpack which will be needed to upgrade the WinNT to Win2K. With the drives they are a bargain at $300 if they have the 192MB included.

John

Tim K
November 2nd, 2004, 11:40 AM
How is the resistive touchscreen? Does it work well with just a fingertip or does it require a stylus or other "pointing" device (like a fingernail)?

Also, have you used the IR directly or are you controlling your system through a PC/Girder? If you've used the IR, how is the transmitter range/accuracy?

jwilson56
November 2nd, 2004, 12:25 PM
Almost any tablet PC with a resitive touch screen will require at the very least your finger tip . I think that most newer ones reject broader area touches to try and improve palm rejection. Even my Point 510 is that way. So if you use the very tip of your finer (slight fingernail) you can activate buttons.

John

Cocophone
November 2nd, 2004, 12:33 PM
My question is how can I convice my kids that Santa really did get them a Fujitsu 3400 for their Christmas present?

:D

Mastiff
November 2nd, 2004, 04:04 PM
Using Rudolph as the screensaver ...? :roll:

Tim K
November 2nd, 2004, 05:20 PM
Almost any tablet PC with a resitive touch screen will require at the very least your finger tip . I think that most newer ones reject broader area touches to try and improve palm rejection. Even my Point 510 is that way. So if you use the very tip of your finer (slight fingernail) you can activate buttons.

John

John, I guess what I am trying to do is make sure that I find a tablet that will react to a fingertip touch. I don't want to use a stylus or even a fingernail. I'd like an 8-10" screen.

Are you saying the point 510 works with fingertip or only with a point like a fingernail?

So far I think that the following seem to fit my bill:
Viewsonic Viewpads (100 and 1000)
Siemens Simpads
Hitachi HPW600's
Fujitsu Stylistic 3400 and 3500
SonicBlue/Frontpath Progear

Any other suggestions???

I think I know what I am asking Santa for this year!!!!

jwilson56
November 5th, 2004, 06:53 AM
Well as someone who has had an Audrey, CF-01, Point 510, Viewsonic Viewpad 1000 and now a Fujitsu 3400 I can tell you they all of them required at least somewhat the tip of your finger to work. All tablets are all designed to be used with a stylus (passive ones). I use them without the stylus at times with the larger buttons like volume up and down but for things like selecting songs from playlists you will have to use a stylus. All newer tablets use active pens for their stylus per MS's specs. I believe the Viewpad 1000 is the fastest resisitive touch screen tablet pc made. I sold it because it was too noisy as the fan came on and off.

If you make your buttons large enough and press hard enough it will work.

If you notice the touch screens used is malls and other places... the buttons are huge.

I hope that helps.

John

windtrader
November 8th, 2004, 10:58 PM
Not to go OT but I also have a 3400 but dropped it and the touchscreen functions died. I installed a ELO touchscreen monitor and it has excellent touch technology allows just a slight touch of the finger to trigger it. No comparision in usablility to the 3400 screen.

Tim K
November 18th, 2004, 12:51 AM
John,
How is the IR emitter on the 3400 (or do you run it via Wifi)? I only sit about 10ft from my equipment and hope to be able to use it as an IR-only remote.

jwilson56
November 18th, 2004, 06:18 AM
Sorry I use WIFI and Slink-e IR in my setup.

John