PDA

View Full Version : Fujistsu 2300 Tablet

randycw
November 7th, 2004, 04:28 PM
I have a Fujistu 2300 tablet with an IR port that I was thinking of resurecting (has been dormant for a few years) and usign with NetRemtoe. I am wondering if the IR port in the tablet is able to send, learn, etc IR codes via NetRemote to my AV gear. Thanks for the help. NetRemtoe looks very promising and a MUST buy, especially if I can do this!

Promixis
November 8th, 2004, 08:55 PM
I don't think it will work - but you can try the demo version and see....

Ben S
November 8th, 2004, 10:40 PM
Unfortunately this will definitely not work. Direct IR is not supported on Win32. This would make a great tablet to control your system via WiFi, though. :)

randycw
November 9th, 2004, 10:45 AM
Unfortunately this will definitely not work. Direct IR is not supported on Win32. This would make a great tablet to control your system via WiFi, though. :)

Yeah. I was also at Moes Realm forum and basically came away with the same thing. Too bad about the Direct IR thing... that would make for the PERFECT solution. The wifi part is probably the way to go, but GIRDER intimidates me. It looks to have a VERY steep learning curve. I am pretty good with electronics, computers, etc. but this just looks to be a little much. :oops:

Promixis
November 9th, 2004, 10:56 AM
Actually Girder isn't that bad ;) It largely depends on how sophisticated you want your setup to be. And we will walk you though most anything :wink:

randycw
November 9th, 2004, 08:13 PM
And we will walk you though most anything :wink:

Okay so here is the story. I am in the middle of building a house. It will have a modest home theater and I also want distrubuted audio. To distribute the audio I am looking at the Niles ZR stuff, the Russound CAV or the Xantech MRC line.

For the audio I want to be able to play MP3s from the HTPC. Netremote looked like a good way to do this, as it can provide feedback about playlists and whats playing.

So the question is this, primarily, if I purchase NetRemote and Girder to handle the Master touchscreen in the living room what is the recommended equipment list to use? So what IR stuff for the HTPC and which of the above receivers will work best/easiest? I need the best solution for making Girder and netremote work wel.

Oh the HTPC will be in the equipment rack with all of the other A/V gear so lots of IR routing should be too big of issue.

Promixis
November 9th, 2004, 08:17 PM
I really like the dell axims unless you want a larger screen.

I have had really good direct IR with the X3 and X30 models. They also have built in wifi. If you want to do IR over Wifi (possible) you will need either Girder, NRIRServer (with the usb uirt) or a global cache device. This gets more complicated.

For audio you would use media center and NR.

At this time, I don't really see you needing Girder unless you want to do some other automation tasks. You can always add it later.

randycw
November 10th, 2004, 12:14 AM
Well, my thinking was (at least from the direction this thread was going) that I would need to use Girder as an interface between the Stylistic 2300 tablet and my A/V gear. I would prefer not to purchase a Pocket PC if I can use the tablet that I have. I just need to understand the equipment list. Or better still what is the recommended equipment or the tired and true equipment that WILL work with Girder, NetRemote, and my stuff.

So which IR stuff to buy, which multizone receiver to purchase (from the three listed in the previous post), and any other key peices of hardware or software that I should look at getting.

maxtrash
November 10th, 2004, 07:09 AM
you'll want hardware that allows you to send and receive IR-signals to and from your HTPC. There's basically two options here: the usb uirt ($50) and the global caché ($150+). The advantage of the global caché over the usb uirt would be that you can send/receive IR without the HTPC being on. Besides you could put the GC-device anywhere in the network, but I suppose the HTPC will be close to the receiver anyway.

Now you'll also need netremote on the client-side (eg. you fujitsu with a wifi-card), You need to design a CCF for Netremote that will allow you to control your stuff. You can then either put the IR-codes in the CCF (*) (and use a GC or a HTPC, NRIRSERVER and USB Uirt) or learn the IR-codes in Girder and have Girder control the USB Uirt.
Girder is prettty easy in itself. It's all about copying commands and learning with the remote in hand. Another advantage would be that you can use Girder for other things as well. X10-control (lights) being one of them and simple things like starting up applications (JRMC) another.

I'm not really into AV-receivers for audio distribution but I guess all of them distribute IR from the zone to the receiver and than back to some IR transmitting port. If the USB Uirt is at the other end you can also control the PC (and JRMC) with infrared remote controls througout the house.

ps. I'm surprised Mastiff hasn't jumped in, he's the multizone expert around here and has a nice website to prove it

(*) To be honest I don't know how to do this as I don't do it this way

randycw
November 10th, 2004, 11:06 AM
ps. I'm surprised Mastiff hasn't jumped in, he's the multizone expert around here and has a nice website to prove it

Thank you for the input. I was not clear on what the differences between USB-UIRT and global Cache were. You helped out there for sure.

Do you have a link to Mastiff's site?

Mastiff
November 10th, 2004, 02:16 PM
I have a link to it! :wink: Basically, don't even bother with expensive custom install stuff. If you know your way around computers, just create a system with a couple of PCs with J.River's Media Center, 4 SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 in each, controlled by NetRemote, or with my own solution with cheap IR remotes. That will give you 12 zones, probably for the cost of one or two with custom install equipment. And much more versatile.

Oh, MaxTrash, the reason why I didn't jump in before was that this changed to a multi-zone thread today! Earlier it was a Fujitsu thread, and I have no expeience with those. :roll: