PDA

View Full Version : Viewsonic v210

midiringtones
November 8th, 2004, 09:44 PM
Any hope on supporting the Viewsonic V210? It is dot net 4.2 and i had hoped it would work (other ppc 2003 apps do). I installed correctly, but get the "cannot find netremote" error when i run it.

Please, pretty please? This is exactly what I have been looking for to control my home theatre!

Curt

Ben S
November 8th, 2004, 10:39 PM
Have you tried following the instructions for the Simpad? My guess is that one or more of the dlls required doesn't exist on the pad.

Aaron
November 8th, 2004, 11:24 PM
make sure you have a shortcut on the desktop and run it from there

stingray333
November 10th, 2004, 12:07 AM
I just bought a Viewsonic Airpanel V110p on Ebay. That's the previous version of their airpanel series. I'm not sure if the v210 is the same, but for me, Netremote worked perfectly from day one. I just had to tweak the "server" pc to let it run more than one session (profiles) at the same time, since I need the pc to be used by others while using my airpanel. But that tweaking has nothing to do with your problem I guess... But if the v210 is mainly the same as the v110, you have to make sure you have installed the nr server on the profile you log in to. I know I'm on thin ice here, since I'm not sure if the v210 is THAT much similar to v110, but I'm just trying to help... :-)

Stingray

midiringtones
November 11th, 2004, 12:27 AM
Adding those files did the trick! I am now a happy registered user! I just turned on my receiver in my home theatre from outside :) Useful, I know...

Stingray - the big difference is the V210 is an actual CE.net 4.2 device (essentially mobile 2003 compatible) - instead of being a remote viewer to a desktop app, it runs CE/pocketPC software. Not sure if that is much more useful than what you are doing, but my guess is it would be a bit quicker since I can skip a trip to the desktop first.

I use a global cache device to control all of my IR stuff, now I just have lots of programming to do!

Curt

toddf
February 3rd, 2005, 10:56 AM
I'm having the same problem. What files need to be added and where can I find them and/or the instructions

talm
February 3rd, 2005, 04:26 PM
Here are the files that you need to run NR on a WinCe 4.1 Device.....

There is a readme file inside the archive that tells you where to put the files. You should also install the CAB Release. Just copy the cab file to your device and run it from the device and you are set.

The OKapp is just an app that you want to put in your startup folder. It will allow you to click OK on windows that do not have it (If you install any PPC software on your wince device). You do not have to install it but recommanded.

Tal

techspaces
March 3rd, 2005, 01:11 AM
I use a global cache device to control all of my IR stuff, now I just have lots of programming to do.

Could you detail your global cache setup? Is it working as a bridge from wi-fi to IR?

techspaces
March 3rd, 2005, 01:42 AM
Question on the v210.
Will thiis panel work without a stylus, just using fingers? Also, I see the navigatin pad on the right side, what are the other buttons capable of?

midiringtones
March 3rd, 2005, 11:25 AM
It works with fingers - the current design of the audio stuff with the + - tree is very hard to do with your finger, it could use a redesign (hint hint?) - but I use my finger 90% of the time.

As for my globalchache setup -

GC #1 is in my home theater that has two cat5 runs so it is plugged in directly, the v210, of course, is wireless connected to a belkin pre-n router.

Curt

techspaces
March 3rd, 2005, 02:34 PM
So, if I use a NetRemote device to send out an IR command over the ethernet network, the GlobalCache device will translate it into an IR signal? Or does the Global Cache product have a software driver that has to be conrtrolled by another program, like Girder?

midiringtones
March 3rd, 2005, 03:00 PM
That is the awesome part - since the PocketPC version of NetRemote has a GC driver, another computer isn't even needed (once it is all installed!).

I use a mediaPC for mp3 storage, and I use an IRBlaster to hit some stuff on the other side of the room, but aside from that, you can turn the pc off!

Curt

tmorten
April 9th, 2005, 12:28 AM
I just installed NetRemote 1.0.24.0 on a v210, and used the files downloaded from this thread to patch my installation. NetRemote runs, however I'm having the following issues:

- Error box with "mote.exe" in the title bar saying:
\Program Files\NetRemote\plugins\drv_webbrowser.dll

- The 'properties' screen is so small, it doesn't contain any text, so I'm unable to set any properties

- The menu bar still says 'Please Register' even though I entered my code (this didn't happen when I installed from a PC; but I tried a direct CAB installation in an effort to clear up the first two issues, and am now seeing this behavior

Any clues? The main problem is my inability to set properties; the other two I can llve with (though it'd be nice to have the web plugin working)...

Thanks,
Tim

tmorten
April 9th, 2005, 04:52 PM
Update: I tried some various other versions of those files, and now get a full-screen properties window... unfortunately, it's completely blank.

It sounds like others were able to get this to work... let me know if you have pointers.

A WinCE .Net 4.2 compile of NetRemote would be great (hint, hint)...

Thanks,
Tim

tmorten
April 9th, 2005, 05:51 PM
After several hours of iterating, I stumbled on a solution: restoring to the original CE .Net 4.2 version of aygshell.dll made the text appear, albeit in a too tiny window to be useful. But then, activating the on-screen keyboard caused the window to resize. It still has refresh issues, but these too are cleared up by toggling the on-screen keyboard on and off.

I wound up renaming drv_webbrowser.dll in the NetRemote\PlugIns folder to avoid that error message (though I obviously lose the ability to web browse as a result).

The registration issue also cleared up, but I didn't notice if that was DLL related, or if it was from one of my many reinstallations of NetRemote.

In any event, if anyone else encounters the same problem on a v210, hopefully these work-arounds will be helpful.

Can't wait for the proper CE edition of NetRemote :wink: !

tmorten
July 2nd, 2005, 05:37 PM
Having spent almost 3 months using the v210 to control my setup, I have three main complaints:

(1) Freezes - If I leave NetRemote running all day, the tablet will be frozen by evening, necessitating a reboot. Could be tablet-specific, or could be a NetRemote bug or leak on WinCE (works fine on my laptop with XP Pro). I wind up exiting NR after each use to avoid this, which is less than ideal.

(2) Peformance - Screen changes (even with minimal graphics) take 3 seconds. GAC browsing incurs visible lags. Just starting NR takes several seconds. Ultimately, NR on the v210 is so unresponsive that users who don't know better often press buttons three or four times before their first press has registered.

(3) Web Plug-in - I get an error on starting NR regarding the web plugin DLL. I've renamed it to keep it from popping up, with the obvious result that I can't use the web from within NR.

Are others out there regularly using the v210 with NetRemote? If so, are you having a better experience?

I'm thinking I may switch to an XP-based tablet with a faster processor to solve these issues, but I'd prefer not to spend the money (and not to be stuck with an otherwise useless v210)!

Thanks,
Tim

tmorten
July 3rd, 2005, 04:00 PM
Update (because I can tell that everyone is intensely interested :roll: ) --

I decided to just use the v210 as Remote Desktop client to my XP-based music server. This has solved all three of my problems: no more freezes, speed is great, and the web works.

I'd highly recommend this approach to other v210 users out there... it's really the best of both worlds... light weight, nice touchscreen, and runs as fast as whatever server you've got connected. The only application that suffers is streaming video from IP cameras, and I suspect that's not a concern for most.

- Tim

steingra
September 27th, 2005, 08:43 PM
>I decided to just use the v210 as Remote Desktop client to my XP-based music server

So you are saying you just used the RDP client software on the Pocket PC, logged into the Media Server, and controlled everything that way?

Does the v210 have a wifi card? I dont know anything about it. I have a viewsonic v37. Might be trying to do a similar thing. Get a wifi card and just use an RDP connection.

tmorten
October 7th, 2005, 03:35 PM
The v210 has built-in Wi-Fi... so you're correct: I just use RDP on the v210, and then open an instance of NR on my server.