PDA

View Full Version : Viewsonic Remote Display - want user experience input...

Aaron
November 18th, 2004, 12:38 AM
I've though about getting one of these to run NetRemote.

I really hate buying a unit that costs so much without knowing if I'm going to like it.

For my use, it needs to be able to auto-turn off the but still stay "live" on the 802.11b network so to not need to do the reconnect that takes so long. Otherwise it is not a true remote "replacement" in my mind.

Anyone have experiences?

Promixis
November 18th, 2004, 07:13 AM
Is there one model in particular? You can set your pda to not turn of the wifi. Its just a question of battery life.

Mastiff
November 18th, 2004, 07:48 AM
What PDAs allow for that? I've had one POcketLoox, one Ipaq 5450 and now a WM2003SE Phone edition, and none of them will allow that. Or do you mean that you can turn off the scren by software and leave the rest running?

Promixis
November 18th, 2004, 07:57 AM
Right, didn't brian add a button that you can have on a panel that will keep the wifi active?

Jlee
November 18th, 2004, 09:30 AM
I think the button keeps the PPC from hibernating when NR is running so yes that means it will keep the wifi active, but certainly on my PPC (iPAQ 4150) that would also keep the display active, though I could have the backlight go out if I wanted.

Instead I just use the NR screensaver function that switches the display off competely (without switching off the wifi) until I switch it back on with a hard button. I've not investigated a way of invoking this screensaver automatically after a period of inactivity but I'm sure there must be a way to do that.

Aaron
November 18th, 2004, 12:56 PM
I'm asking about the Viewsonic Smart Displays... not PDAs.

These would be units such as AirPanel v110, v150, etc

I'm interested if people are running these.

Also, Mike... I do have a SimPad PDA but Ben has not been able to find a way to turn the screen off.

I'm interested in seeing what people's experiences are with the Smart Displays.

midiringtones
November 20th, 2004, 04:07 PM
I run a viewsonic v210 - big difference is that the v210 is really just a big pocketpc (800x600) as opposed to a terminal client of the ones you mention.

The good of the v210 is i can just leave it on the cradle and life is good (as soon as I find a place to sell me the cradle, now it is just plugged in when not in use...)

I am using this with a globalcache and while I still have a long way to go, i haven't found any technical hurdles from this stopping me from controling my MCE2005 box, home theatre, lighting, etc...

Curt

Aaron
November 21st, 2004, 08:39 AM
midiringtones,
Can NR turn the screen completey off while keeping the rest of the unit 'on' so that the wireless stays connected at all times?

This is the main thing for me... "Instant ON" so it acts more like a huge remote and less like a PDA.

ccapozzoli
November 24th, 2004, 12:35 PM
I'm asking about the Viewsonic Smart Displays... not PDAs.

These would be units such as AirPanel v110, v150, etc

I'm interested if people are running these.

Also, Mike... I do have a SimPad PDA but Ben has not been able to find a way to turn the screen off.

I'm interested in seeing what people's experiences are with the Smart Displays.

I just purchased a Viewsonic Airpanel and docking station from eBay. I just recevied it now. I am going to play with. But from I have been reading on other forums, it works great. I am in the process of setting this all up so its a new project of rme.

Aaron
November 24th, 2004, 06:29 PM
ccapozzoli,
Most important to me is if the screen can turn off completely (to save batter) while still being connected to the wireless network.

I look forward to hear about your results!

midiringtones
November 26th, 2004, 12:51 AM
Yes, the screen turns off with the wireless connected... Though you still won't get much for battery life like this - which is why i am searching for a docking station.

ccapozzoli
December 3rd, 2004, 09:18 AM
ccapozzoli,
Most important to me is if the screen can turn off completely (to save batter) while still being connected to the wireless network.

I look forward to hear about your results!

Aaron,

I have not set up the Airpanel the way I want it yet, but in just playing with it, you have setting on it that will turn off the screen and still keep it live, you just have to tap the screen and it comes back on. They are like the power management setting on Windows.

CCAP

Mastiff
December 3rd, 2004, 12:49 PM
But will that do much for battery life? WLAN is a big battery eater in my experience, at least on PPCs.

Aaron
December 3rd, 2004, 11:47 PM
PCMCIA cards suck battery life but CompactFlash and USB take much less.
Depends on the chipset inside.

I'm interested in hearing his results with battey life.