PDA

View Full Version : NetRemote Pro = Really slow / sluggish on New Dell X50v

iamjcl
November 20th, 2004, 10:14 AM
I wonder if anybody else has had this experience ??

I've been using an ipaq 3115, and it works really well (though Netremote says its not a strongarm / xscale CPU, so IR is disabled at startup).

The dell has an intel 624mhz cpu, the ipaq a 300mhz samsung.
The ipaq is overall more responsive, snappier.

The Dell's screen is obviously much better, and I have mostly converted the .ccf I like from qvga to vga.

I have read the reviews of the Dell having sub-standard video performance, on apps not written to use the intel 2700 accelerator on board, but I don't know if this issue is related. I wonder if anyone using the x50 (no "v") has any comment ?

Anyway, even using the small .ccf, the Dell is really slow. Pressing "stop" (using basic girder and MC 10 control only) causes the button to remain engaged for just over 1 second. Action on MC10 is delayed by about .25 seconds.

Same "stop" press on ipaq is instant, no lag, no delay. Control of MC10 is also instant.

In troubleshooting, ive turned off wi-fi powersave, put cpu speed at manual, etc... and still no improvement.

Thanks

iamjcl
November 20th, 2004, 12:29 PM
Well, I've found the problem.

You need to check : "disable blink (Toshiba Fix)"

In the properties menu.

Not sure what or why, but this fixes the lag issue.

Overall, the response to key taps etc... is still not perfectly instant, like the "slower" ipaq is, but for all practial purposes, it is instant. If I didn't also have the iPaq, I would say it is instant.

- Chris

Promixis
November 20th, 2004, 12:40 PM
Chris,

Have you tried the direct IR with this device?

iamjcl
November 21st, 2004, 10:08 AM
Have not tried direct IR yet - will try to do it today and get back.

- Chris

Promixis
November 21st, 2004, 10:13 AM
Thanks.

iamjcl
November 21st, 2004, 10:21 PM
Had a chance to quickly learn an IR command in NetRemote onto an existing key in a .ccf, and the IR works GREAT. Much better than my Ipaq 3115. At least 15', maybe 20', and off axis is pretty good as well.

- Chris

Promixis
November 22nd, 2004, 08:42 AM
Awesome. I just ordered one :)

iamjcl
November 22nd, 2004, 02:14 PM
Just another note on the X50v, regarding connect speed after "waking up". If the "enable 802.xxx" is checked, it is about 23 seconds. If you disable this, it drops to around 15 seconds.

The iPaq 3115 is around 20 seconds, and 8-9 seconds respectively.

My wireless AP is a dlink 624, using 128bit wep, fwiw.

- Chris

Mastiff
November 23rd, 2004, 05:33 PM
I would get anoter AP, another PPC, another anything! Mine is 4-6 seconds now, with encryption, and anything more than that is not acceptable to me.

iamjcl
November 30th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Well, mine is almost always in the cradle, so its not quite so bad as you imply, but I would like to shorten it. Have gotten it down to 12 seconds now, but thats it.

I think its mainly that the X50v radio is slow to boot up, compared to the ipaq.

- Chris

egyokeo
March 21st, 2005, 04:27 PM
Can I go back to the IR delay part of this thread for a sec?...

I just bought an Axim x30, and started testing it with sending IR signals. I too am experiencing about a 1/2 second delay on all my IR commands using NR. The IR codes are from an old Pronto .ccf that I imported into my nrpro.ccf via Tonto. All my IR has been "learned" going through my Pronto. Are you saying that once you learned your IR through your PPC, the IR is much faster now? I don't really know what "direct IR" means, and it seems to have fixed your lag problem so I'm very interested.

If this alternate way of learning IR is the solution to the lag, great!... but I am dreading having to relearn the 100s of IR commands on my PPC that I've already got stored up on my Pronto over the years.

-Eric