PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a Simpad for sale or know where to get?

esajesa
November 22nd, 2004, 02:31 PM
Hi guys,

I wanna get my hands on a Simpad, and wonder if anyone has one for sale. OR if anyone knows where to get them. I'm in Europe, so a European distributor would be preferrable.

Cheers,
Jens

Ps. Sorry Ben, don't wanna use this forum for personals but thought this would be the best place in the whole wide world to find one!! :wink:

danward79
November 22nd, 2004, 03:52 PM
Hi Jens

I looked at getting one and found the most abundent supply was on ebay, most seem to stem from the european contenent. Althou I would be causious...

How about something more readily available?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3490584719&category=39980&sspagename=WDVW

is one I found.

jeroen020
December 6th, 2004, 09:35 AM
I bought a dozen or so new from a shop in Austria and stil havel one or two in a box that I don't use. I sold about half of them to people here on the forum and have shipped them to different countries in the world, including US. Even Ben is using one that I supplied to him...

The only thing I did to it was install CE.Net 4.1 (English), which may come in handy anyway.

If you're interested, let me know by PM.

Aaron
December 7th, 2004, 06:57 PM
I bought mine from the guy in the link above. He sent it from Poland to Arizona. Shipping was VERY FAST and unit was MINT. I was very happy with the transaction.

I have since sold my SIMpad and traded up for a Futurecom Global Neta980. I HIGHLY reccomend getting the Neta 980 over the SIMpad SL4.

The Neta can be had for about $50-$100 less
AND
the differences...

NETA vs SIMPAD

Screen 10.4" vs 8.4"
true color (32 bit) vs 65k (16 bit)
compact flash II slot vs no CF slot
128 MB RAM, 64MB ROM vs 64 MB RAM, 32 MB ROM
can connect USB devices vs cannot, only good for active sync
seems to have better battery life then Simpad
and they both have the same weight!

just my $.02

esajesa
December 8th, 2004, 01:05 PM
Hey,

thanks guys.. the Neta980 looks quite nice, do you know how much it goes for? Can't find it in any shops here in Sweden.. :cry:

Question though, in regards to the Simpad.. Since it's been around for a while and seems to be out of stock, aren't you guys worried about the battery giving you a hard time and perhaps being hard to find a replacement? I wouldn't want to sit with my Simpad with a crappy battery.

Cheerio,
Jens

jeroen020
December 8th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Hi Jens,

I use my Simpad mostly on AC power; however, it's a Li-ion battery so should be quite flexible in use. Looking at my experience with laptops and other similarly powered devices, expect a lifetime of about two years when used regularly, and more if you don't charge/discharge it too often.

Aaron
December 8th, 2004, 06:15 PM
you can find the Neta980 on eBay usually for $250-$300

jwilson56
December 8th, 2004, 07:23 PM
You might also look at a Win32 solution like the Fujitsu 3400. NR Pro flies on it.

John

Aaron
December 9th, 2004, 07:19 AM
I'd looked into the tablet/slate PCs and would love to get a newer one since they are much nicer/faster/lighter/etc.

I do like the "instant on", low weight, and longer battery life of the WinCE devices cuz I want to use it as a full featured remote... it does not stay in a powered docking station when in use.

If it was docked 24x7 then I'd go that route and just leave it powered on all the time. - I may end up doing this sometime soon.

If I had the free floating cash, it woudl be a slate PC by Motion Computing or a Compaq TC1100 or the like. But they are $1200 on eBay, my Neta is $800 new or $250 eBay. No brainer there for me!

If you do not mind the added heft or the lower battery life (or it is always plugged in) then defintely go with an older tablet/slate PC. They would be a much better solution in this case. IMHO