PDA

View Full Version : How to get IR using iPAQ rx3000 series ?

iamjcl
November 28th, 2004, 10:58 AM
I have been using both the Dell X50v and a "basic" iPAQ rx3115 for NetRemote duty.

The iPaq starts NetRemote with an error as follows:

" This IR plugin supports only StrongARM and XScale CPU based devices.
The IrDA transmittter will be disabled now.
You can use this program except send and receive ir codes.
If you want this IR plugin for your device type, you may send an request
to: Info@WinCESoft.de "

Well, the CPU is a Samsung that is Xscale / Strongarm compatible.
And, it does work, except any ir functions.

The app ("Nevo") that comes loaded on the iPAQ works just fine sending ir.

What gives ?

- Chris

Mastiff
November 28th, 2004, 11:31 AM
The operative word here may be "compatible". I believe the plug-in only works on genuine Intel processors. But then again I might be wrong...that happens from time to time.

iamjcl
November 28th, 2004, 01:06 PM
well, if the case is that a genuine Intel cpu is needed, (seems unlikely?), is it envisioned that the plugin or NetRemote (not sure which one is at fault, or if both are written by the same group) will be updated to support non-intel CPUs that are intel-compatible ?

Seems like a ridiculous question, really...

The iPaq is a very pervasive little PPC, and in all truth, except for the screen resolution and perhaps physical ergonomics, the 300mhz iPaq walks all over the pricier Dell X50v @ a "genuine Intel" 624mhz. This is my experience, anyway, and leads me to dump the dell, since its really going to be a dedicated NetRemote device. But If IR won't work with NetRemote (but will with other apps), then I'm back to deciding if I can live with the Dell.

- Chris

FrankW
November 28th, 2004, 05:51 PM
The IR plugin supports only the Strong ARM SA 1100, SA 1110, PXA250, 255, 260, 270.
The Samsung CPU of the iPAQ rx31xx is only code- and not hardware comaptible and not capable to generate CIR- transmissions with the IrDA- port.
Nevo uses an dedicated controller from UEI instead. Unfortunately there is no public documentation available about this CIR- controller.
Currently I recommend to use one of the DELLs (X3, X30, X50, X50v) for Netremote.

Frank
www.WinCESoft.de

iamjcl
November 29th, 2004, 08:48 AM
Thanks - thats exactly the information I was looking for.

- Chris