PDA

View Full Version : IR/Infrared performance...

Promixis
December 6th, 2004, 05:12 PM
Hi all,

We would like to collect your experience using direct IR. We know that the Dell Axim series works well (apart from the x5) but we need a more complete list. Please post the good and bad. And, yes we know the ipaq's with a CIR diode are not working yet.

Mastiff
December 6th, 2004, 05:31 PM
Bad: Original Fujitsu-Siemens PocketLoox (first version, I believe they called it the 600) - not only is the range lousy, it has the IR on the side, not on the top!

2re
December 7th, 2004, 05:23 PM
Don't know what Pocket Loox you're pointing at Mastiff ( Well, after you have add the modelinfo. I know...), but my LOOX 720 sure do 4 meters without problems. Though I have to aime direktly to the device. And the IR is on the top, not on the side.

This is the very first time I use the IR on NetRemote, so for all I know maybe it's possible to do some adjustments to improve the range? Any advice?

2re
December 7th, 2004, 06:02 PM
Moving the "Transmitt priority" up to 100, increased the range as far as I could without climing out the windows, to 7 meters without problems. It also improved the angle. I've only tested it on my Jamaha RX-V640 Receiver.
And Mastiff, you have partly right when it comes to the location of the IR. It's between the top and the front of the PDA. So I have to point the PDA a bit down to get "full power". Anyway it's a Lovely Loox!! :wink:

Wilhelm
December 8th, 2004, 07:33 AM
iPAQ 3970 less than 2 meters. (This is the only iPAQ I have that is in it's original state)
SIMPad 3-4 meters, quite directional.

wavemaster
January 12th, 2005, 05:54 AM
2re, what com port are you using for CIR?

2re
January 13th, 2005, 03:01 PM
I'm using the USB-UIRT, and it offers a simple plug-and-play solution without having to deal with some of the hassles of the classic serial-port (RS-232) version.

http://usbuirt.com/

wavemaster
January 13th, 2005, 03:26 PM
I meant the COM port on your PDA. Are you not using NR to control your TV/Video etc etc?

So far I've not heard of anyone who's got NR & CIR to work on their Loox. RCII works perfect, so IT MUST be possible considering the PPC has Consumer IR.

2re
January 13th, 2005, 04:36 PM
Oh, sorry.
I'm not using the direct IR to control the AV device's. I just did a test to check the perfomace of the Loox 720. I'm using NR with Girder to controll my AV device.

Maybe your problems is related to this topic?
http://www.promixis.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10035

Due to this topic, it loox like I'm not able to test the IR on my Loox for the moment.
But, checking the properties on the IR plugin shows that I was using COM4 on the Loox's IrDA Port when I did the test.

wavemaster
January 13th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Yea, I have managed to get COM4 working (only by having RCII running while installing NR) But still, NR doesn't work correctly on COM4. RCII works fine, the range is good. But NR is terrible, there's even a note on the RCII site about it:

"Fujitsu Siemens Pocket LOOX 710 / 720 incl. CIR- IrDA- support for a extended transmit range.
(Please use the CIR- IR- port COM4. If you have installed NetRemote you have to make a hard reset to remove it completely, because NR overwrites this CIR- port) "

that is the problem why NR won't work properly with the Loox 720 :(

2re
January 13th, 2005, 05:10 PM
Well I can't help you here. This is for the pro.
But anyway, NR works exelent on my Loox 720! And with the USB-UIRT and Girder I can control all of my AV device.

wavemaster
January 14th, 2005, 09:13 AM
Is there any comment from the promixis guys on this?

Promixis
January 15th, 2005, 02:05 PM
Frank from wincesoft said there should be absolutely NO difference in IR performance.

wavemaster
January 15th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Hi Mike, there is a HUGE difference sadly. NR is unsable as a PDA remote on this client device. RCII, the only other software I've tried works perfect with the CIR. You literally have to be within 3 feet and aiming like a sniper when using NR.

I'm not alone either, have a glance here http://www.firstloox.org/forums/showthread.php?p=20200

So far I haven't heard 1 single success story regarding the use of NR & the Loox 720 due to the issues mentioned in this thread.

Please could you look into it? The 720 is the perfect device for NetRemote if ever there was one being CIR an all.

Promixis
January 16th, 2005, 02:06 PM
I will have Frank address this ASAP.

DanielTS
January 24th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Toshiba e805 & NR : more than 8 m :D

akseln
January 28th, 2005, 06:16 AM
Any news on this issue?

Here is my experiences with RCII and NR:

First time RCII starts it states: "RCII: CIR Detected" - "To activate the CIR - IrDA port a reset is required" OK/Cancel

After pressing OK and a soft reset tha COM4 port shows as "RC mode IrDA".

RCII now works fine and uses COM4 with good range.

Then I start NR. It also works on COM4, but now the COM4 port is missing from Ports...

If I then starts RCII after running NR, it states again: "RCII: CIR Detected......" and so on.

Why can't NR use the same CIR functionality as RCII (v. 1.12) uses?

aksel

wavemaster
February 2nd, 2005, 04:14 PM
I still can't get decent IR with NR on my Loox 720....

I was hoping promixis would have come up with a solution or something considering RCII works, but I guess not :cry:

Promixis
February 2nd, 2005, 10:48 PM
Have you tried the .20 release.

If that doesn't work for you, then I am not hopeful we will be able to resolve this.

wavemaster
February 3rd, 2005, 02:21 PM
Have you tried the .20 release.

If that doesn't work for you, then I am not hopeful we will be able to resolve this.

thanks Mike...

I'm very pleased to say the .20 release is a huge huge improvement. It detects COM2 by default which works great, but COM4 works!.

Perfect! thank you

ryan74
February 9th, 2005, 03:45 AM
compaq 3870 IR works although range varies depending on component. most ok at 4m, projector (sony HS10) only good for 1m. anyone know of any extenders i can buy?

ebariaux
March 3rd, 2005, 06:20 AM
I'v got a question for X30 users.
I've got a friend who just got an Axim X30 and tested it with NR. When he's just in front of his equipment, everything is fine and the range is OK (e.g. 3 meters).

But when he's slightly at an angle, the equipment does not receive any signal at all, even at a much closer range (< 2 meters).

Has anybody observed the same behaviour?
If yes, did you find any solution to it?

Thanks a lot,
Eric.

robertchasuk
March 3rd, 2005, 01:03 PM
yes I get this on my dell x50, I must say that I try and avoid using direct ir with it usb uirt is much more reliable using wi-fi and girder.

thanks

chas

egyokeo
March 21st, 2005, 03:39 PM
ebariaux-

Yeah, I just got an Axim x30 too and I have found that you have to aim it directly at whatever your want to control for the IR to be picked up.

But... for me it's not too awful because I'm using an IR blaster for forwarding all IR it receives to all my components behind a wooden door cabinet. And my IR blaster's sensor is ULTRA senstive. It's amazing, really. It was $100. This is the one I got... http://www.smarthome.com/8225p.html

Anyway, even with that, I find that I have to have it at least "generally" pointing in the direction of the sensor. Whereas with a Pronto remote, I could almost point that thing in the opposite direction and it would get picked up.

-Eric

sailfish
July 22nd, 2005, 06:56 PM
Does anyone know if the Axim X50v IR is better than the X30 or about the same?

Promixis
July 22nd, 2005, 08:17 PM
at one time I had both. I like the x50 better. i didn't do any objective testing but I my gut tells me the x30 was slightly better. But don't take my word for it :P

kwarts
August 27th, 2005, 01:25 AM
Hi all,

We would like to collect your experience using direct IR. We know that the Dell Axim series works well (apart from the x5) but we need a more complete list. Please post the good and bad. And, yes we know the ipaq's with a CIR diode are not working yet.

The iPAQ h4100 series are bad. And the IR emitter is on the wrong side (bottom).

trouty00
November 21st, 2005, 06:34 PM
Toshiba e750 has an exxelent range, tested to about 6/7 meters but again it is on the sie of the unit.

Stu

patrickacollins
March 12th, 2006, 06:21 PM
I am testing an ipaq 5550 - range is ok but the delay between pressing the button and seeing result on screen is about 2 secs? Is this my Ipaq or a setting issue. Should it work as quickly as the original remote control?

Promixis
March 12th, 2006, 06:59 PM
I am testing an ipaq 5550 - range is ok but the delay between pressing the button and seeing result on screen is about 2 secs? Is this my Ipaq or a setting issue. Should it work as quickly as the original remote control?

2 seconds suggests the code you learned has errors in it. Way too long.

You can always try downloading a code from remotecentral.com and cut and pasting into your NR ccf.

Ginsonic
June 30th, 2006, 01:04 AM
Acer N50: Works like a charm for me. IR performance ist great (6-10m without problems)

Dieter

Manser
September 20th, 2006, 01:18 AM
We have also the n50 in the employment.
The IR is very good. But there are problems with the Wireless and the Backup for times after empty battery.
With Windows Mobile 5 the latter points are loosened.
Now we are searching for a pocki with:
- Windows Mobile 5
- Wireless
- Direct IR (on the top, Distance over 10m)
- Netremote runs on it (Girder4, GlobalCache, JRMC)

Who knows a PPC, which would run?

Ben S
September 20th, 2006, 10:58 PM
Dell Axim x50 series should work nicely.

Manser
September 22nd, 2006, 06:15 AM
The IR does not convince yet. For a data exchange yes, but not for a remotecontrol over approx. to 8-12m.

Now does NR support the IR-Cards (CF-Cards)?
For example UltaMote?

Promixis
September 22nd, 2006, 09:57 AM
we do not support cf ir extender cards.

davedave1234
October 11th, 2006, 03:16 PM
If NR uses WinCESoft y doesnít is support the CF cards? I am getting a iPAQ 3870 for $40 and I would like to use RN (great product by the way) on it. I am currently using NR on a custom machine to control my HTPC and love it but it is in the same case as the HTPC (donít ask) and I donít want to have to walk over to my TV every time I want to change the channel.

Promixis
October 11th, 2006, 03:25 PM
The version of the WinCESoft plugin we are using does not support CF cards.

davedave1234
October 12th, 2006, 07:23 AM
if I buy there software can I get the plugin that does support it and some how replace the DLL's or something?

Ben S
November 13th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Unfortunately not as we are aware.

pe2six
October 16th, 2009, 06:09 AM
I have a PaceBlade P8 tablet also known as PMG QuadPad. And would like to use the internal IR port like done on PDA's with NetRemote.
Could anyone suggest how to do this or tell me where there is a driver available so i can actually use the direct IR option running
windows OS XP OR something alike?

Regards,
Erwin

JardCrocker
November 10th, 2017, 10:31 AM
Hi...i am a new user here. I want to know are you not using NR to control your TV/Video etc etc?I have not heard of anyone who's got NR & CIR to work on their Loox. RCII works perfect, so IT MUST be possible considering the PPC has Consumer IR.

turnkey pcb (https://www.7pcb.ca/)