PDA

View Full Version : Please fix this!! Critical error

Eggert
December 14th, 2004, 04:19 PM
Hi,

Girder hast to be started at startup. Sometimes it gives an "Critical error". Pressing "ok" lets girder start.
I use Girder 3.3.4 and GenericX10. Please! I tried to delay the start of girder (10 seconds) and it seemed to work but now again this critical error.

Please fix this!!

Eggert

Promixis
December 14th, 2004, 04:50 PM
search here for an updated x10 plugin we are testing.

Eggert
December 14th, 2004, 05:20 PM
Is it 1.4?

----- edit -----

ah found it. will give it a try.

Eggert
December 15th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Got a critical error - load plugins failed today. :evil:

Promixis
December 15th, 2004, 01:26 PM
What OS?

Do you have the x10 drivers loaded?

Do you see x10net.dll in the process list?

Eggert
December 16th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Hi,

think it's getting better with the new X10 plugin but wonder why this error came. Maybe because I had to shutdown with force because something hung?

OS is XP SP2, I see x10nets.exe in processes.

continuing observating.
Eggert

Eggert
December 19th, 2004, 08:07 AM
got this error yesterday again.
This time all seemed to be normal. no crash before reboot or something else.
it's better than the older plugin but not perfect.
can't you implement an routine that plugin initializing is done for e.g. 3 times after an error and then display the error? it seems to be ok when i press the ok button.

RobDMB
December 20th, 2004, 08:33 PM
I get this error as well running win xp service pack 2 with the x10 plugin. Can anyone point me in the directino as to where to download the updated plugin?

Eggert
December 21st, 2004, 08:31 AM
And again the error.
Maybe this time was because of the PC having to start a ressource-hoggy program at startup and there were not enough ressources for Girder to start??
Pls help. Can't give more hints!

Eggert

RobDMB
January 21st, 2005, 08:56 PM
any updates on this plugin. This error is really bothersome.

Promixis
January 21st, 2005, 09:07 PM
we have been chasing this down... there apparently is an error in the x10 drivers. we are looking for a work around....

RobDMB
January 21st, 2005, 10:11 PM
Thanks I appreciate it. Good to know its being looked into.

Eggert
January 30th, 2005, 05:03 PM
It's been a long time since the last error occured.
This has nothing to say so
I'm looking forward to the fix. :roll:

jandkw99
March 2nd, 2005, 12:23 AM
I am getting the error message on startup and then once the message is cleared I can continue on my merry way, but this is really annoying!

Any update on this? I haven't confirmed yet that the x10 process is running and so I was going to ask - is there any programs out there that will sit and monitor processes until it has loaded and then start girder....or could this be built into the plugin itself?

headshotfairy
March 8th, 2005, 05:53 AM
Yup... just reporting that I too am having this bug... However, I'm running Windows XP SP 1.

Promixis
March 8th, 2005, 07:56 AM
You might want to try the X10 drivers for the firefly remote and see if that version helps...

Eggert
March 20th, 2005, 08:11 AM
Where are these drivers??

In the last time the error occures more frequently - as the others said - really annoying. :evil:

I think this is a really small bug - don't you know _when_ girder gives this 'critical error'? Maybe the plugin is loaded too fast - maybe before the X10 is initialized?! Can't you implement a delay into the X10 plugin and see if this helps?
You know that all works fine when we click "OK". THIS is what is really strange.

So please, I've been waiting really long for this bugfix now. And as you can see I'm really patient with this but it would be really nice if you could fix this in the next few days.

The PC I use the X10 is completely controlled by the X10 (htpc) - I have to start another computer and click "OK" via VNC - only to hear a mp3 or watch a movie. :cry:

So please. I need more comfort ;)
Eggert

Promixis
March 20th, 2005, 10:25 AM
www.snapstream.com

Eggert
March 20th, 2005, 11:38 AM
The Snapstream.exe doesn't run on 2 of my computers.
It's in task manager for short time, uses up to 50MB memory and disappears.
Oh damnit. This is gettin' awful. :cry:

Eggert
March 20th, 2005, 12:26 PM
I tried installing the drivers from x10.com which are mentioned in the snapstream readme
But the version is the same I had installed previously. But my drivers come from Medion.
Some kind of strange: the x10.com drivers send the following to girder:
"Button name [up] 1"
and Medion
"Button name [up] 13"

Therefore, I couldn't use the remote with the x10.com drivers because I would have to reconfiger my entire settings.
Switched back to Medion-drivers.

May this be a hint?

gabi1759
March 20th, 2005, 01:28 PM
I algo got the "critical error - load plugins failed" at windows startup. And i don't use no x10... plugin. I'm using the winfast tv2000xp-plugin, the XP Osd plug-in and the monitor plug-in. I use girder 3.3.7 and the OS is winXP SP2. I only get the error if i get girder to start at windows startup.

Can anybody come up with an ideea on how to fix this? I don't think this is got something to do with the plugins. This is girder related. Not because of the plugins. I also tried to de-check the 'auto enable input device' checkbox, and i still got the error at startup.

thanx.

Promixis
March 20th, 2005, 03:25 PM
You need to change the order in which programs are starting up. A program/service that girder requires is probably not available when girder starts.

Eggert
March 21st, 2005, 12:31 AM
What kind of program/service could that be?
Anything we can try to figure it out?
Maybe the X10 isn't already initialized when girder starts?
How can we find out?

gabi1759
March 22nd, 2005, 04:29 AM
try this:

remove any adaware, spyware that may start with windows. I used "Ad-aware 6.0 Professional" . See "http://www.lavasoft.de". also type "msconfig" in the run dialog box (without the quotes) and remove any programs that you don't need/recognize in the startup tab (be careful of what you remove though; if you don't know what to remove ask someone to do it for you). that's it. it worked for me. :D

jandkw99
March 29th, 2005, 06:08 AM
I am really sick of the plugin failed error popping up - especially since when I click ok the thing runs just fine.

For my intrests sake can someone in the know tell me what the issue is? Is it something like the X10 driver is not reporting it is ready when really it is??

If it truely is the X10 driver not ready then as others have mention can we add either a loop with a maximum timeout set in a config somewhere or perhaps if we HAVE to wait for a specific period then it would probably take a programmer about 5 minutes to write a program that delays for a set time and then starts a program. Of course I would do it myself (and probably will soon) except I keep thinking - why can't I monitor if the driver is loaded and ready... of course I don't know how to do this since it is a little more complex than the before-mentioned delay program.

So can someone please provide some more technical details?

Thanks,

Jason

Eggert
April 7th, 2005, 02:39 PM
:evil:

Promixis
April 7th, 2005, 05:39 PM
There is a solution in another thread that will delay the startup of Girder so that the appropriate device drivers are loaded.

ananabsemaj
April 9th, 2005, 08:52 AM
I found a better fix for this than installing delay software.

You need to start the x10nets application as a service rather than letting girder start it.

You can do this by going into the services manager (Right click My Computer>Manage>Services and Applications>Services) and locate X10 Device Network Service. Right click it and select properties. Change Startup type to Automatic so that X10nets is started on system startup.

I have not had the error since doing this.

Ps, I am using XP SP2

Promixis
April 9th, 2005, 08:53 AM
I found a better fix for this than installing delay software.

You need to start the x10nets application as a service rather than letting girder start it.

You can do this by going into the services manager (Right click My Computer>Manage>Services and Applications>Services) and locate X10 Device Network Service. Right click it and select properties. Change Startup type to Automatic so that X10nets is started on system startup.

I have not had the error since doing this.

Ps, I am using XP SP2

Thanks for this fix!

Eggert
April 11th, 2005, 06:27 PM
I've done it.
Hoping that this is it.
Please report when the error strikes back ;) - I will, too.

Thanks!

Eggert

Eggert
April 12th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Got it again, this is not the fix.
Damn.

Eggert

Eggert
April 20th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Tried newest drivers with both options (manual, automatic).
Now I get the error every time. The older drivers work better.

PLEAAASE!!! Fix it!!! It is really necessery for normal use. Girder is useless for me when the error occures!!

Let me ask what you fix when not this. It's not understandable.
My remote is from Medion and was delivered with the "Aldi"-PC in Germany. This means I will not be the only person with this error.

I have been waiting too long now, my patience is gone. I spent hours for testing - now it's YOUR turn, Promixis - especially Mike C.

Eggert

Ron
April 20th, 2005, 03:41 PM
My friend, have you ever considered that this is not a problem in our software, but in the very buggy X10 drivers. If I could fix it don't you think I would?

Now if you want a refund please let me know I am more then happy to give you your money back.

Eggert
April 20th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Ron, it's Girder who gives this error, isn't it?
Pressing "OK" lets the system work like a charm.
So - Ron, my friend, tell me finally: WHEN does Girder send an "Critical Error"? This thread makes me think you even don't know. And this is what's really strange. Girder gives an error, nobody really knows why but pressing OK will help.

Ok - let's push it to the buggy driver. I gave 2 hints how to fix it in the Girder software, didn't you read it? Damn, it would be so easy!! - Implement a second routine which initializes the Plugins after a few seconds but only if there was a critical error.

Did you contact the X10 driver developers? The last update is February 2005, therefore I see a chance of getting it updated.

The answer of giving me back my money (passive "shut up, Eggert") is really unqualified, Ron, for professional software developers, think about it.
This forum is about to help - don't you think I am here to help you making the software even better as it is? Do you think you would only help me?
Damn, wouldn't it be great to have an option in your X10-plugin "fix bug in X10-drivers"?

Eggert

Ron
April 20th, 2005, 04:56 PM
Try the latest Girder 3.3.9b

yodar
January 7th, 2007, 10:03 AM
I also had this problem and tried drivers from: marmitek and firefly.
Than i wondered, I did not have this problem previously. It seemed, in the old days I had a ati remote wonder x10 device and ati remote wonder drivers. After I bought the marmitek pc control I was still using those drivers.

So now i tired those drivers again and havnt expierenced this problem anymore.