PDA

View Full Version : Just picked up a Fujitsu Stylistic 3500 on eBay!!!

Tim K
December 21st, 2004, 05:22 PM
I can't wait until it gets here. I took a bit of a risk on an auction of an "as-is" unit, so I am hoping it works out. The seller stated that it was sold to him in working order but he has no power cord to test it. He also stated that it was in excellent condition without any scratches or marks. Working units in "good condition" are going for $270 on eBay. I picked this one up for $123. If it works it is the best deal I've ever gotten. If not, I figure I can fix it....afterall it is just a PC....I hope!

Specs:
Microprocessor
Intel Celeron® 1.1V ultra-low voltage processor 500MHz; 128KB L2 Cache

Display
3500S: 10.4" SVGA TFT (800x600), 256K colors; Transmissive (indoor/outdoor viewable)

Chipset
Intel 440MX

System Memory
Choice of 128MB (upgradeable to 256MB)

Digitizer
Liquid filled, passive, low glare, palm rejection

Storage
15GB, Ultra ATA, Shock-mounted

Video
ATI® Rage Mobility™- M high performance graphics controller
3D acceleration
4MB VRAM
Simultaneous support of external monitor and internal display
External max: 1024 x 768; 16M colors

Audio
Sound Blaster™—compatible with 3D sound
Full duplex
Built-in speakers and microphone
Stereo headphone jack
Mono microphone jack

Communications
Built-in 56K1 V.90 modem
Built-in 10/100 Base-T Ethernet4

System Ports
USB port
Type II PC Card slot (CardBus support)
RJ-11 modem jack
IrDA 1.1 (FIR, 4Mbps)
Stereo headphone jack
Microphone jack
Floppy disk drive port
IR keyboard port
DC-in jack
Serial port
Expansion connector

Docking Ports
(port availability depends on selected docking options)
2nd USB port
Type III PC Card Slot (CardBus support)
10/100 Base-T Ethernet (RJ-45)
Floppy disk drive port
PS/2 Keyboard port
PS/2 Mouse port
DC-in jack
Serial (9-pin) port
Parallel port
Stereo line-out jack
VGA Port

Security
Kensington lock slot

Batteries
3100mAh Lithium ion battery
Bridge battery to support warm swapping of additional optional batteries

Dimensions/Weight
11.0"(W) x 8.5"(D) x 1.1"(H) (280mm x 215mm x 27.4mm)
3.2lbs (1.46Kg)

Operating Systems
Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Professional with PenX 2.02

Handwriting Recognition Software
CIC PenX 2.02

Tim K
December 29th, 2004, 06:12 PM
The aftermath....

Well, as I said in my original post...this unit was listed "as-is" in unknown working condition but supposedly in good physical appearance. So, I pick up the package at the Post Office Monday morning and open it to find that the screen is scratched REALLY badly. The seller claims it was "good" when he sent it and was not like that at all. I don't know whether he was lying or a bad packer. So I told him I'd look into getting it fixed or getting a new screen for it and get back to him.

In the meantime, I wanted to know if the thing actually worked. So I picked up a modular adapter at Radishack and plugged it in. Booted right up...only one error message about a missing driver that I can easily install. I'm feeling better about this...until I test the touchscreen and find out the digitizer has alot of dead spots and is totally off calibration. I cannot correct tihs problem either. Now, these units have an internal LCD screen and the "touchpanel" is a seperate panel that overlays the screen. So all I need is a new touchpanel digitizer.

So now I try to track down a donor unit to cannibalize for a digitizer....no luck. Try to find a replacement digitizer...no luck there either. So, I figure I'll contact Fujitsu to see whether they sell parts or what it would cost to get it replaced.

Now here's the kicker....

Turns out that the unit I bought is still UNDER WARRANTY!!! The 3yr warranty is good through May of 2005 and covers the digitizers as long as there are no cracks in the screen. There aren't...just scratches. So I am sending the unit back for service this week and they will replace the touchpanel under warranty for FREE. And since the screen surface is part of the digitizer panel, I will have a brand new, scratch free, tablet screen! (which I will be protecting with screen protectors once I get it back!)

This is a great day in my eBay history!

Promixis
December 29th, 2004, 09:27 PM
:D

Mastiff
December 30th, 2004, 01:37 AM
Would this be a typical example of what we norwegians call "lykken er bedre enn forstanden", loosely translated to "your luck is surpassing your logical thinking"? I mean in that you bought something "as is" on eBay that very easily could be broken? btw, did you check the sellers feedback first? I'd be interested in how that was, I have never had such an experience in my rather short time as an ebayer, but with heavy purchase. :wink: Congratulations!

Aaron
December 30th, 2004, 11:04 AM
nice job!

to quote a semi-famous person...

"I love when a plan comes together"

;)

Tim K
December 30th, 2004, 12:15 PM
His feedback was decent. 94 transactions, only one bad feedback for communication. From my emails with him, I judged that he probably didn't know much about the product, and I felt there was a good chance he never bothered to check out the item.

I got it for $123, and even if it was broken, I figured I could either repair it or sell it for parts. If I had to sell it I was pretty sure I would only lose a few dollars.

I suppose I just got lucky, but I weighed the risks and took a chance. Looks like this time luck was on my side.

"I love it when a plan comes together."

You must be a fan of the A-Team!!!

Mastiff
December 30th, 2004, 02:19 PM
How can anybody call Hannibull...Hannibal semi famous?! He was the king of schemers!