PDA

View Full Version : Who wants support for Meedio (POLL)

debennett2
January 4th, 2005, 04:24 PM
I thought this needed to be done.

Promixis
January 4th, 2005, 05:38 PM
I know some of you really want this...

Unfortunately, it will not happen from within Promixis in the near future. Our assessment is that the cost of doing this will exceed the revenue. However, if one of the third party Meedio developers want to do this, we will do we what we can to support them and may even include some $$.

debennett2
January 5th, 2005, 02:01 AM
That's just sad, excuse me please, but it is.

It's just another sign of the times...remember when knowledgeable people were happy tp spread their knowledge? I can say that is is COMPLETELY fine to make a dollar for what you do if you do it well but come on guys!!!!

For those of you who vote "what's meedio" , I would hope you would at least elaborate please, Thanks!

avid
January 5th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Its not sad at all. I think you are being totally unfair on Ben and Mike.

Software usually gets written and distributed for one of two reasons. One is as a business with the expectation of some income. The other is for personal reasons (e.g. to solve an individual problem, for fun, or for intellectual challenge, etc). And sometimes developments can pass between these two reasons. Like it or not (and I personally like it), Promixis is a business not a charity.

NetRemote is a great general-purpose system. It comes with a number of generic capabilities (especially through Girder and IR) plus great support for others to add extra drivers to control other applications. It is totally unreasonable to *expect* Promixis to spend their time and effort in developing support for one specific product. And its worse still then to berate them for not doing so. If they have formed the judgement that there is no commercial sense in developing for Meedio that is their prerogative. It is for more important to the wider community and for the ongoing success of NetRemote for Ben to spend his available time and effort in the core capability of making NetRemote as stable and powerful as possible, and (e.g.) developing an alternative to Tonto.

Apart from the existing music features, it makes perfect sense for them to leave the development of application-specific drivers to third parties. That is where the drivers for Zoom, WMP, DigiTV EPG etc have come from. These were capabilities that I personally wanted for myself. Having written them, I saw no reason not to share them. Maybe you need to change your view of what to expect from NetRemote and Promixis.

If you want a Meedio driver, then I see your options are three-fold:
1) Write it yourself. All my own drivers are available in source code which might help you get started.
2) Persuade a programmer, who is another keen Meedio user, of the benefits of writing this for the two of you, and of the fun (and perhaps kudos) in doing so.
3) Pay a programmer to write it for you. You *might* recoup some of your costs by selling it to others as a NetRemote add-on. But Mikes assessment is that you should not expect to cover your development costs.

If you go any of the above routes, I can assure you from personal experience that Promixis *will* support any third party development of drivers.

Brian

debennett2
January 5th, 2005, 10:20 AM
Don't take my comments above personally pelase. I was in a bad mood. Sorry.

midiringtones
February 4th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Ok, I wrote a C# / Windows program that can control meedio (reads listings directly from the database, can send commands to meedio to play files, sound countrol, hope to pictures / weather / movies / etc...

Next question is, what is the best way to have my program talk to netremote?

Should I use:

1) Webservices (easy in C#, but netremote isn't the best for xml parsing)
2) A Plugin - would seem the most professional, just not real proud of my C++ skills :)
3) Some other way?

If anyone has some advice I would love it, I prefer to not start down the wrong path. I do know I will have the following:

Windows Server App running on the meedio machine in c#
Viewsonic V210 PPC (800x600) to talk to the server (somehow)

Thanks,

Curt

Ben S
February 4th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Hi Curt -
I can assist with the socket & plugin protocol if you need it.

#2 is definitely the most professional and will work the best for others who want to use it. Why don't you shoot me an e-mail and we can discuss?

Thanks Curt!

chocolate
May 5th, 2005, 12:50 PM
HI,

I'm also waiting for a meedio/netremote plugin. I saw somebody on the meedio forum who created a program like netremote. He can control meedio, winamp, powerDVD and many more. His program is called Toothcontrol. If you look on www.toothcontrol.com you will see his work. I hope that it can be usefull towards creating a netremote plugin.

Marco

pgpg
June 5th, 2005, 04:04 AM
I would be intrested in some information on how to create a plugin for mediabridge 2.0 with .Net. The Meedio part is easy, it's the the mediabridge plugin I don't know how to do.

chocolate
June 5th, 2005, 05:21 AM
HI,
have a look at this http://www.promixis.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10525&highlight=mediabridge+plugin . Maybe this can put you on your way to devellop a plugin. Otherwise I think Ben S will be more than happy to assist you.

Marco

pgpg
June 5th, 2005, 06:44 AM
Isn't those files for Mediabridge 1? Anyway I would prefer VB.Net or C# examples, I haven't done that much C++ programming.

Promixis
June 5th, 2005, 10:04 AM
MediaBridge 2 is done in .NET.

PM Ben if you are interested in doing a plugin.

andres.martinez.alvarez
June 6th, 2005, 08:06 PM
Hi,

For the videos, I have rewrited the LUA DVD JukeBox to read a meedio XML file created using the meeToXML meedio plugin.

With this I can see my meedio movies database in my PPC including the covers.

I have rewrited the LUA DVD JukeBox to look at the meedio XML for covers and files (I have disabled scanning drives, and rewrited the XML parsing code and object functions)

To play the file in Meedio, I use the Girder Server meedio plugin, Zoomplayer and Playmee meedio plugin. When play is pressed, I generate the LDJ.PlaySelectedDVD_MPG event with an action calling the ievent.exe executable with this parameters:
hostname 1025 girder playmee.play-file|file="[pld2]"

I don't know so much of programming, and probably the code could be improved so much...

For the audio, I am trying the mediabridge with Windows Media Player, but mediabridge WMP have some bugs because sometimes it didn't show the cover...

I think that something like the conversion that I made to the LUA DVD Jukebox can be done, and convert an Album meedio library to XML to show the covers, search (this is high lever for me ;) ) and to control meedio through the ievent.exe executable with music.play messages through the meedio girder server plugin...

But this is a temporary solution, it will be awesome to have a plugin that could read the music or video library or weather library, search the library, and control meedio

Is someone interested in my LUA DVD Jukebox conversion to improve it for videos and add music control?

Rob H
June 7th, 2005, 04:29 AM
I'll take a look at it if you like. If you can include the XML file with it it would help as I don't have Meedio yet.

--Rob
(LDJ author)

andres.martinez.alvarez
June 7th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Hi Rob,

I attach the beta beta beta beta version ;) , I need to improve when more than one file separated by '|' is present on Meedio XML file (for example movies that are on two separated avis). There is a lot of garbage that could be removed from the code as the DVD changer and other stuff is not used in meedio.

Another problem that I have is with characters like that we use in Spain ;)

in the "peliculas" directory you will see the xml file: peliculas.xml.

I explain to you how is mounted my system:

I use "Extreme Movie Manager" to catalog movies in the HDD and to get the covers, actors, director overview information... from Internet, I use this program because it has Spanish support.

Using the Extrem Movie Manager Meedio plugin (XMM plugin) I import this movies to the Meedio Database. In Meedio, you can configure, using the Mee2xml plugin, to convert automatically the Meedio Movie library to an XML file of your choice, in my case the peliculas.xml file attached.

I have modified the LUA DVD Jukebox to read and parse this XML file and send feedback to NetRemote ( I attach the code).

To play the files, I use ZoomPlayer with the Playmee Meedio plugin. To use Meedio to launch the video, I use the Meedio Girder Internet Server, configured on port 1025, the girder internet server is on port 1024. There are two internet servers, one for NetRemote<->Girder communication, and the other for Girder<->Meedio (port 1025). But I think that this control could be done directly from NetRemote: Netremote<--> Meedio (port 1025) but I don't know exactly how to do that. Anyway it will be interesting to mantain the NetRemote<->Girder control to launch directly ZoomPlayer if Meedio is not running, for example.

The reason to use the Girder Server Meedio plugin is to stop automatically the music (for example if you are playing a Music Album in Meedio) when a video is launched, this is done by the playmee and SilenceMee plugins. If I call directly ZoomPlayer and Meedio is running, then music is not automatically stopped. Another utility will be to control (like with the ZoomPlayer TCP control) Meedio directly.

For Music, I am testing the MediaBridge with Windows Media player, but this solution is not integrated in Meedio. Here you have two players, the Meedio player, and the Windows Media Player. If you select an Album with Netremote and mediabridge, you will not have the datafeed for the "now playing" in Meedio...

I am thinking how difficult will be to implement it through a XML Meedio Music file (like movies), but my lua programming is at "beginner skill...", i just was this weekend looking at JukeBox DVD code to try to adapt it to meedio.

If you want I can attach you a XML file of the Meedio Music Library to see if will very complicated to have: search like in media bridge, Library display (with artist, album...) like in media bridge, and Cover displaying like the LUA jukebox does with movies... . To control start and stop of music , and queue music can be done with the Server Meedio girder plugin. For feedback, there is the possibility to send through the Client Meedio Girder plugin a datafeed that will contain, for example, the music that is now playing in meedio, the playing time, the duration... . You will have this communication channels:

NetRemote -----> Meedio (Meedio girder plugin on port 1025)
NetRemote <----- Meedio (Using Meedio girder client)

I don't know if it can be done directly or you need to follow this way:
NetRemote----->Girder----->Meedio
Meedio---->Girder----->Netremote (Feedback)

The question is.. you can control meedio directly from NetRemote speaking with the Girder Meedio Server plugin on port 1025 without using Girder at all, and have feedback using the Girder Meedio Client plugin? (Like the ZoomPlayer plugin does...)

Best Regards,
Andy.

Rob H
June 7th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Thanks for that - I'll look at it in detail later.

I would recommend a change to the XML file though - rather than using | to separate e.g. the Actors you use individual <Actor> tags. That's the XML way to do things. That's assuming you have that level of control over the file contents.

What I'll probably do with the next version of LDJ is to separate out the file scanning and DVD Profiler parsing into individual .lua files - effectively making them plugins. That way it will be possible to implement Meedio support as another plugin.

I use "Extreme Movie Manager" to catalog movies in the HDD and to get the covers, actors, director overview information... from Internet, I use this program because it has Spanish support.

I've played with it, but couldn't get on with it. Besides, DVD Profiler has Spanish support too.

andres.martinez.alvarez
June 7th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Here is an example of a music XML file exported from Meedio library

andres.martinez.alvarez
June 7th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Hi rah99, i don't know if change the "|" for separate files could be posible, because Playmee with Zoomplayer use | as separator for queue files, and Meedio send files for queuing purposes with "|" as separator.

I use "Extreme movie manager" because my movies are in AVI (DivX, Xvid, OGG), MPG, ISO (VCD , SVCD or DVD) and stored on my HDD, maybe DVD Profiler could be good for my DVD offline movie collection (only for catalog purposes not for automatic playing)

I don't know if DVD profiler can catalog HDD AVI,MPG,ISOs files and extract codec information as Extreme movie manager does, I have never used it, maybe is a powerfull tool I don't know.

Best Regards,
Andy.

Rob H
June 7th, 2005, 01:31 PM
I'll have to take another look at XMM - it was quite a while ago when I last looked at it.