PDA

View Full Version : Neta 980/985 and Simpad User - Questions

sic0048
January 7th, 2005, 06:15 PM
As my recent posts have shown, I'm researching possible tablet PC options. I see the Neta units and I know some people use them on this group. They biggest difference between the Neta and other units is the Neta doesn't seem to have a hard drive, only some flash memory. First question is, am I correct that the Neta doesn't have a HD. Second question would be obviously how does that effect usage with the Neta. Can I still run NR and other programs on the Neta? Is this a major drawback or a non-issue?

EDIT - edited title to include Simpad users

mikeythemikey
January 7th, 2005, 06:24 PM
Isnt it just like a simpad? runs ce.net 4.1?

sic0048
January 7th, 2005, 08:03 PM
That is correct. Windows CE.net 4.1. (To be honest with you, I don't even know the difference between the different operating systems. I guess I have a lot to research and learn). So the operating system is imbedded, but what about adding additional software like NR, etc.

mikeythemikey
January 8th, 2005, 12:22 PM
You install it as a PPC client, rather than the pc version, the device uses ram to store the data so if the battery dies you could loose all you stuff and have to reinstall. CE is instant on which is better for a remote, but my simpad struggles and runs slow with anything graphical.

sic0048
January 8th, 2005, 01:54 PM
So those devices with Windows CE 4.x may have faster startup times, but may run slower if pushed at all. Is that about it? It sounds like more people use a tablet PC with harddrive which can give more flexability. I hope to have my units either wall mounted or cradled most of the time, so I am hoping I can leave it on all the time. Since I'll be running off AC, I don't need to conserve battery power, and I am hoping this will allow me to have it start faster (ie no sleep mode, maybe just a screen saver).

sic0048
January 8th, 2005, 01:58 PM
Also - are there any Neta 985 users out there. The system looks like a Neta 980, but with wireless built in. So there is no need to add a wireless card. I like that because it makes a neater unit without a wireless card hanging out the side, and I hope it would conserve a little energy as I understand those cards can really suck up the power. Any thougthts between the two??

Aaron
January 10th, 2005, 10:51 AM
I know someone that has a 985... he says it is a bit faster (he sold me his 980) but it has a non-Intel chip. This means Ben would need to compile for your chip. I'd make sure he does before you get it.

talm
January 11th, 2005, 02:36 AM
I am going tomorrow to Futurecom headquaters since they are down the street from me. I am going to look at the NETA 980 / 985 and any other tablet that they have. I think that I am going to get the NETA 980 with a CF Wireless card and the extanded 8 cell battery.

I am also looking to get something that is more durable then the Fujitsu 3400 since mine broke the other day. I had the screen barly touch my knee and the touch screen glass just cracked. So I am here looking to get the NETA 980.

I also know that they test their NETA 980 with a 3 feet drop so I hope that they will not break that easy since i have kids that like to pick stuff and see how it falls down. Even my dog broke the Pronto TSU 1000.

I will post here tomorrow and let you guys know what I ended up getting.

Aaron
January 11th, 2005, 08:08 PM
you must be in/near Scottsdale then?

I'm in Chandler

talm
January 11th, 2005, 10:06 PM
Aaron,

I am in scottsdale.

and you got PM

Tal

sic0048
January 14th, 2005, 10:13 AM
Tal,

Were you able to go to the headquarters? Any thoughts or comments.

talm
January 15th, 2005, 10:47 PM
sic0048,

Sorry it took me so long to post back on this thread but I have been working like crazy and barley had time to play with the new toy. I will try to give you my first impersion on this device and I will compare it to the Fujitsu 3400 since that is what I had and got the NETA 980 to replace.

Looks:

Neta 980 does look nice. Looks better then the Fujitsu, also it is lighter and thinner. The screen looks better too

Winner NETA 980

NR Install:

To get NR installed on any CE device, you will need to copy some fake DLL's to the windows and the NR directory. You must put a shortcut on the desktop to launch NR. Also if you want to install any other software, you will have to tweak the EXE or the CAB file.
I installed on my Fujitsu win2k so the install was as easy as 1 2 3. No need to tweak anything to get it installed.

Winner Fujitsu 3400

Speed:

Hands down, the Fujitsu is faster by a long shot. The NETA is very slow in jumps and redraw the screen so if you run LDJ or anything that is with bug PNG files, it is almost not workable

Winner: Fujitsu 3400

On/Off/wireless:

The NETA is instant on/off while the Fujitsu got to start like a regular computer. Since the NETA is an instant on/off, when you come back from suspend, you will have to wait for about 10 to 20 seconds to reconnect to NR/Girder so if you are going to run on batteries, you should take that under consideration. (My dell Axim is the same way).
If you are going to use it always plugged in, then it is not an issue.
The Fujitsu battery life is about an hour or so on mine so it has to be plugged most of the time

Winner: Draw

My Conclusion:

I am very disappointed with the speed of the NETA. I love the look and screen of it but since my CCF is running slow, I am thinking on going back to the Fujitsu 3400 but this time I will make sure I will not drop it on my knee. :roll:

mikeythemikey
January 16th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Thanks for that excellent post, I had the same issues with the simpad, it just didnt have enough horsepower to move the jumps quickly. I am waiting for my progear and viewsonic 1100 to arrive and I will try to post a similar comparison. Nice if we could have a 'device' test thread.