PDA

View Full Version : IR distribution questions...

Tim K
January 8th, 2005, 03:06 PM
I recently purchased a tablet PC that I'd like to use (at least sometimes) as a remote control. I'd like to integrate an old PC into my equipment in order to receive wireless commands and use girder to control the equipment. I plan to use a USB-UIRT device to transmit the IR from the PC running girder. I believe the UIRT device has an emitter "output" that I could hook up to a distributor of some sort.

My first question is, how can I control my RPTV? The IR receiver is behind the screen and I don't exactly want to mount an IR emitter on the screen itself.

My second question is, can someone recommend the most economical source/brand of IR distributors that I can use with a USB-UIRT device? I need to control 6 devices (Receiver, RPTV, Cable Box, DVD, CD, IR543 (X10).

Thanks,

-Tim

Rob H
January 8th, 2005, 03:44 PM
I have a RedRat rather than a USB-UIRT, but they should be similar enough. In my case I have the RedRat on a shelf on the wall opposite all the AV gear, including my RPTV. It has no problems controlling all the equipment from there. You'll likely only need extra emitters if your AV gear is in a cabinet of some kind.

danward79
January 8th, 2005, 04:54 PM
My UIRT faces out from underneath the AV gear. It works perfectly for all my kit. I also have two ir diodes connected to the output jack for each cupboard.

jon_rhees
January 12th, 2005, 07:20 AM
If your RPTV is problematic and picky about IR angles (like mine was), I removed the RPTV's front screen (they're designed to be removed so that the RPTV's lenses can be cleaned), and ran an emitter cable *inside* the TV and taped it near the TV's IR receiver.

-Jon

Rob H
January 12th, 2005, 07:43 AM
Jon, you might want to change your sig to refer to the new web site.