View Full Version : Looking for a Denon 3805 gml/ini for serial control

January 20th, 2005, 12:16 PM
Maybe I am just dumb today. I 've found the threads on this and see that others have uploaded them but I'll be damned if I can find them on this site. Can anyone direct me?
Many thanks.

Mark F
January 20th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Here is a link (http://www.promixis.com/download.php?ID=620)

To find more of this stuff:
Go to the main Girder page
Hover over the download part of the menu
When the menu extends, choose all downloads
On that page, filter on Girder and Serial Settings

January 20th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the quick reply Mark.

It appears this site is IE friendly. the dropdowns don't work in Firefox - switched to IE and voila - there they are!

Thanks again!

Rob H
January 20th, 2005, 01:26 PM
They do work in Firefox, but only on the second time you hover over the link I think.

March 11th, 2005, 03:31 AM
I am also interested in using serial from the denon but what advantages would this have over usbuirt and girder do you get feedback as to what state the amp is in.

Rob H
March 11th, 2005, 03:53 AM
Yes, the Denon does provide feedback, although I'm not sure whether the existing GML files support this.

You can also set the volume directly using serial control.

I'm currently working on my own GML for the AVR2805 which I'll upload when it's finished.

Mark F
March 11th, 2005, 05:34 AM
Advantages of serial control vs an IR blaster:

The command gets there every time. No way someone walks between the transmitter and the receiver at just the wrong time. Direct sunlight doesn't stop a serial command as it can IR.

Feedback allows the state of the component to be queried at start-up and understood during operation. This allows macros to be much more intelligent. If you know the thing is on, don't send the ON command. If it is already set up for INPUT 1, don't change to INPUT 1. etc.

Multiple components with the same command set are EASY to operate independantly. Do you have multiple ___ of the same brand? No problem. Each is on it's own port.

1 com port per component (USB->serial or ethernet->serial hubs can get expensive)

1 cable per component (this can be a wiring nightmare)

Operation can get very complicated. If the component cannot handle commands at a fast pace or must reply to each command before the next one is sent, something must take this into account. I tend to place all of this intelligence into the enable, transmit and receive event scripts. Placing most of this into a separate file and using dofile() in the enable event handler to define global routines called from the other event handlers will also work nicely.