Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BT8x8 Drivers

I'm thinking about writing generic BT8x8 remote driver for Girder, but I don't have this card, so I'm probably gonna buy or lend one from someone :-), I was wondering if anyone knows about a good source of information on how to go about programming these drivers.

-Ron

I've been browsing the web for a bit and i found that there are 2 main ways of accessing the BT8x8.

via the GPIO register ( lots of cards )
    via I2C ( hauppage cards )

I think the GPIO port should be polled, but maybe its also possible to use an interrupt.... hmm

I just looked at the source of dTv, and it seems to me that this locks the hardware if I use that. And that is not what we need. I want to be able to simulaniously use the remote control while another program is doing its thing with the video part of the card. Don't know if that is possible though.
    If anyone tried any of the BT8x8 remote control programs if they still can use the video functions from a different application.

Ron

Well I finally got a BT878 card, the PixelView. So I'll dive into the programming of this beast Any info is appreciated!!

It seems that i need to make a kernel level driver. This is a nice challenge for me so I take it up. I bought a good book (Programming the M$ Windows Driver Model) and i'm now reading it.

This however implies that my solution is only going to work on Win98/Win2K and higher.

I'll keep you posted on the progress

This general driver should be able to read the remote control registers/i2c lines of the Bt8x8 chipset cards. So i hope to support lots of cards with 1 driver.

Sure send them docs over!

Ron

Hi Juan,

The reason that I am 'letting win95 out of the fun' is because the driver will be a WDM driver, this is supported all over the windows platform except for Win95. If anyone is interested in backporting I'll be happy to help. But my first goal is to write the WDM driver as this is the *cough* standard.

I had to shift this down the todo list a little though. First thing i want to do is update the redrat, then girder 3.0.23 and after that i'll go back to the bt8x8 driver. I just have to little time :smile:

But its good to have someone here that knows how to program the bt8x8.

-Ron

Thanks for the link, i've downloaded it. I didn't check yet but the VXD suggests that it will be for win9x :sad:.

I've been reading further on this topic, and it seems i have the option to write a filter driver. This is a driver that sits on top of the manufacterers driver and has access to the hardware too. This way i would not have to worry about setting up the card, this would have been done already. But now the question is how compatible are the drivers...

-Ron

Cool!! are you looking for girder plugin code ? There are several examples in the developer section, and you can always email me privately with questions! (or more examples)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RonB on 2001-05-29 19:09 ]</font>

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast