Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Common problems with NetRemote - Please check here 1st

Default Common problems with NetRemote - Please check here 1st

This is a collection of common problems running NetRemote, and information will be added here first, then moved into the standard help documentation when possible.

Please also make sure and check out the user guides:
    *) NetRemote Pro Guide
    *) NetRemote Music Guide
    *) NetRemote IR Guide
    *) NetRemote CCF Editing Guide

If your problem is not listed, I strongly suggest posting a message for help rather than emailing me directly. I will respond to posts and emails, but there are 2 benefits to posting.
    1] Other members of the NetRemote community or extremely experienced, intelligent, and helpful. They may be able to solve the problem before I can get to it.
    2] Future NetRemote users may benefit from the discussion of the problem.

Problem:
    NetRemote cannot connect to the MediaBridge 2 server
    Versions affecting:
    Music, Pro, Pro+IR
    Potential solution:
    This can be many things, check out one of the following, and then you may need to post a message for an expert to help.
    1] Does the PPC have wireless connectivity?
    2] Is there a firewall on the MediaBridge server?
    3] Does the plugin configuration match the MediaBridge server (port)?
    4] Can NetRemote running from the same computer as MediaBridge connect?
    5] Try using the IP address instead of hostname in NetRemote.
    6] If these fail, please email myself or post a message in the forum asking for assistance, you'll surely be helped in under 24 hours (most likely -much- faster)

Problem:
    NetRemote doesn't show me the album covers in the album covers view.
    Versions affecting:
    Music, Pro, Pro+IR
    Potential solution:
    1) If running JRMC, ensure that you have created a Media Library\Audio\Album view (See the music guide)
    2) If running another player, try stopping MediaBridge, and deleting the file cache.mdb in the MediaBridge file root.

Problem:
    When trying to reinstall NetRemote on PPC, the installer complains about pronto.ttf or CIR.dll
    Versions affecting:
    All
    Potential solution:
    Simply select to skip the file. These two files do not require updating.

Problem:
    After uninstalling NetRemote from PPC, every restart tells me it cannot run NetRemote
    Versions affecting:
    All
    Potential solution:
    1] Ensure you select "Tools/Exit" before Uninstalling NetRemote. Do not shut it down from the memory control panel.
    2] This happens in some cases when NetRemote is installed to removable memory. Reinstall NetRemote (to main memory), run NetRemote, exit (via Tools/Exit) and then uninstall

Problem:
    NetRemote will not uninstall because of a problem with pronto.ttf or CIR.dll
    Versions affecting:
    All (pronto.ttf), IR and Pro+IR (CIR.dll)
    Potential solution:
    Some Pocket PC's lock these files and do not allow them to uninstall. Find pronto.ttf in the NetRemote directory and rename it to "pronto.del". Find CIR.dll in the Windows directory and rename it to "CIR.del". You can now uninstall NetRemote

Problem:
    NetRemote shows "MJB Playlist" where the tree and playing now should be
    Versions affecting:
    Music, Pro, Pro+IR
    Potential solution:
    Note: Should no longer occur after version 1.1.0.33
    NetRemote requires that you have one MediaBridge instance with the standard ID of -10. To correct this issue, go into Tools/Properties (on PPC) or File/Properties (on Windows) and go to the plugins tab. Open the MediaBridge treenode. Now right click (Windows) or tap and hold (PPC) one plugin instance and select "Set ID". Set the plugin instance to -10 and restart NetRemote.

Other problems and potential solutions will be added when found. Feel free to post here, but know that the thread will be "cleaned" of posts when discussions are complete so that this is an easy reference for new users.

Default Please Help

I am havin the problem explained below when going wireless with my PPC. All is well when my PPC is in the cradle. I have went through all posted troubleshooting steps to no avail.

Problem:
    NetRemote cannot connect to the MediaBridge 2 server
    Versions affecting:
    Music, Pro, Pro+IR
    Potential solution:
    This can be many things, check out one of the following, and then you may need to post a message for an expert to help.
    1] Does the PPC have wireless connectivity?
    2] Is there a firewall on the MediaBridge server?
    3] Does the plugin configuration match the MediaBridge server (port)?
    4] Can NetRemote running from the same computer as MediaBridge connect?
    5] Try using the IP address instead of hostname in NetRemote.
    6] If these fail, please email myself or post a message in the forum asking for assistance, you'll surely be helped in under 24 hours (most likely -much- faster)

Hi Chris - Are you using IP address or hostname? If hostname, can you try IP address. Is this with Windows Mobile 5, PPC 2k2 or PPC 2k3?

Also, how many network cards are in your host PC?

Thanks for the quick reply. I have tried both host name and ip. neither have worked. it is set to ip addresses in hosts now. Mobile PC 5.0. I believe there would be just one net card.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisshroyer
    Thanks for the quick reply. I have tried both host name and ip. neither have worked. it is set to ip addresses in hosts now. Mobile PC 5.0. I believe there would be just one net card.
    what windows version are you running? is the xp firewall off?

Default No connection

I am running XP Media Center version 5.1 with SP2. Yes, firewall is shut off. I have completed all six steps I listed above.

Ben, Mike:

Perhaps this is an item that belongs in the FAQ or this sticky...

I was having trouble getting NR to connect to Girder and/or the MediaBridge server. I tried everything I could find in the forums. Eventually I tried enabling services that I had disabled for "performance" reasons. After hours (and hours) of trial and error (I got it working, but then the computer would not wake properly) I found that the "Network DDE" and "Network DDE DSDM" services must be started for NR to connect to the host.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mclarkson
    Ben, Mike:

Perhaps this is an item that belongs in the FAQ or this sticky...

I was having trouble getting NR to connect to Girder and/or the MediaBridge server. I tried everything I could find in the forums. Eventually I tried enabling services that I had disabled for "performance" reasons. After hours (and hours) of trial and error (I got it working, but then the computer would not wake properly) I found that the "Network DDE" and "Network DDE DSDM" services must be started for NR to connect to the host.

Mark
    oh, that hurts...

we always like hearing about these solutions.

thanks.

Hm.. I think there is something deeper going on here. Network DDE and Network DDE DSDM are disabled on my Media Bridge machine and it is working fine. I did not change anything from defaults here - disabled seems to be the installation default. However this is Windows XP Pro SP2 rather than Media Center. From what I understand of the technology (socket-level TCP and UDP) being used here, there is no reason why these services should be required.

Have you tried Ben's diagnostic tool here:

http://www.promixis.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13499

I found that Media Bridge would work on one of my NICs but not on another, I plan do do some more tests on this using the diagnostic tool and I'll try enabling these services on the "bad" NIC. However I never had any problems with NR<->Girder.

John,

Interesting.

My understanding of communication protocols and the services required is more than a little limited, and it is obvious that you know far more than I.

I did try the diagnostic tool. I'd rather not reset break my system again (but I will if the NetRemote team thinks it would be helpful), so I don't recall the precise wording of the result, but it was something like "handshaking failed." The odd thing was that MediaBridge identified the connected NetRemote clients (on the local machine and on the Axim), but the NR clients did not acknowledge the connection. If I then enabled DDE and rebooted, NR completed the connection.

You're correct though, this is an XP issue, and there may be something deeper going on with my machine.

Ah... well. Maybe my solution won't be helpful to anyone else after-all. Maybe it wasn't even the solution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast