Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Determined User" - Yup, that's DEFINITELY me! Aaa

Default "Determined User" - Yup, that's DEFINITELY me! Aaa

No way I'm giving up on this, but I gotta tell ya - it shouldn't be this tough!

So, in this thread, I wrote about a problem in which NetRemote/MediaBridge times out after a while. I go to the PPC to play some different music and I get the dreaded "A connection to the current host can not be made" message. It was recommended that I check the power saving settings of the NIC in my Media Server. I did that (disabled "Allow the computer to turn off this device" in the Power Management tab in the Properties dialog for the NIC in Device Manager.) For a while, this seemed to work, but the problem has come back. At first I thought that clicking the "listen" (headphones) button in the MB window was all I needed to do, but I've since realized that simply waking the computer up (in order to press said button) is all I have to do. Note that by "waking the computer up", I'm referring to the screen only - my power settings are set to the "Always On" power scheme. The only thing that gets turned off is the monitor - after 15 minutes.

AND, in this thread I wrote about IR not working in passthrough mode. I thought it might be a USB-UIRT issue, so I posted to the USB-UIRT forum, but Jon Rhees thinks it's an NR issue. I tested using his lrnhelper app and everything seems to work fine, but from NR, when I send an IR code (especially if I send several in a row), the USB-UIRT hangs (with the red LED on) and nothing works until I kill NRIRServ.

I *REALLY* want to make NetRemote work. Please help!

Default Update (MediaBridge issue)

Well, I figured I'd try a few things on the MB issue... I started by getting rid of the "Turn off monitor after 15 minutes" - now everything was set to "Always On".

A little while later ( > 30 minutes), I noticed that the screen saver had come on. I went and checked the PPC - it had the "no connection" message. Grrrr. I moved the mouse on the media server and checked the PPC - connection was back.

OK, so I got a little more extreme. I disabled the screen saver (and just turned off the monitor via its power button.) That was over an hour ago and I haven't lost the MB connection yet. (I'd keep my fingers crossed, but I've got an outdoor kitchen to build, and it's kinda hard to swing a hammer with your fingers crossed! )

Is this a known issue? (Screen saver causes MB connection to drop?) Anyone else ever had this problem?

Thanks for grinding through this...

I have not seen the screen saver issue here.

What kind of network - ie router, domain, OS's? and.. what player again?

We are thinking of moving to using Girder as the IR bridge in favor of NRIR server...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C
    What kind of network - ie router, domain, OS's? and.. what player again?
    Thanks for the response, Mike.

Windows network - workgroup setup, no domain. I'm using static IP addresses for everything - no DNS/WINS. Have to use IP address rather than machine name for default host, etc. to work. Router is a Linksys, nothing fancy. WAPs are also Linksys. Security setup is to only allow specific MAC addresses (no WEP) but I don't think that's an issue.

Media server is running 2K Advanced Server. MP = MC10. I suspect the screen saver issue is probably unique to the NIC built in to my mobo. No big deal - current workaround is acceptable, and server will be replaced soon anyway.

IR issue certainly is vexing, tho.
    We are thinking of moving to using Girder as the IR bridge in favor of NRIR server...
    LOL. I was thinking of setting up a bunch of Girder commands to get this done. Still getting the hang of G4, though.

With the USB UIRT, it should be basically a few lines of code... simply receive the IR code from NR and then tell the UIRT to send it.

NRIRServer is a low use app for us that we would like to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by Donny Bahama
    Security setup is to only allow specific MAC addresses (no WEP) but I don't think that's an issue.
    Nope, that's how I have mine setup to.

Media server is running 2K Advanced Server.
    This might be unique, though not sure.

Is this a known issue? (Screen saver causes MB connection to drop?) Anyone else ever had this problem?
    Not known, and it does sound weird. My media server runs headless and the screen save is definitely on the few times that I plugin a monitor into it. Very strange, indeed!

As Mike said, NRIRServer works (in most cases) but we're considering end-of-lifing it in favor of passthrough with Girder which we could add support for more devices, etc. for.

Default HELP!!!

Mike/Ben/Anybody:

I feel like an idiot, but I can't figure out how to do this...

For starters, I'd be plenty happy just getting the ultra-basics working - volume up/down and mute on my Lexicon pre/pro...

I have a (G4) GML file called "HTcomponents" - then I have a group for each component (including one called "Lexicon").
    I know I need an "event" that will detect that I've pressed the "mute" button on my PPC...
    I also know that I need an "action" that will send the correct IR code to the USB-UIRT.

But I don't see any actions (in the list on the left side of Girder) that seem applicable to what I'm doing. "Send IR" (or reasonable facsimile) is not one of the options. What am I supposed to use? Note that I have a CCF with all the IR codes for the Lex (many of which are otherwise tricky to get to) and I would much prefer to copy & paste the IR codes into the Girder actions rather than use "learn" in conjunction with the actual remote.

Once I've got that set up, how do I modify the button on my CCF so that it's sending an event to Girder (and how do I add that event to Girder)?

This seems like pretty basic stuff and I'm surprised it's not documented somewhere. If it is, and I've simply missed it, please point me to where it is and I'll go from there. Otherwise, if soemone can set me up with editing privileges on the Wiki, I'll add a section to the Wiki on NetRemote:Girder interface once I can get my brain wrapped around this.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Donny - Have you tried the beta of the designer? If not, give it a try. With it running (on the same machine as G3 or G4), the designer will show the Girder actions in the action designer where you can actually drag and drop actions into your interface.

Not an option, Ben. I get the attached error when I start NRD. (Then it closes.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Do you have NetRemote installed on this computer? It's required, as the Designer pulls information from NetRemote.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast