Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Determined User" - Yup, that's DEFINITELY me! Aaa

OK - I just figured out the second part. Still stumped on the first part, though.

NOTE TO BEN: This is a perfect example of what I was talking about re: the documentation. The main PDF has a section called "Talking to Girder from NetRemote" but it has no content... I've gone as far as I can go with the existing documentation and it has left me hanging.

OK - I think I'm onto something... looks like there's a special IR code that has to get pasted in with that EventString value attached. This is an NRBasic thing, isn't it? Now where did I see that listing of all the NRBasic codes...? Not in the Wiki. Must be in the main PDF...

Nope. (Doesn't appear to be.) Looks like "5001 0000 0000 0002 ffff 0000 0001 0000" = Girder event. Not sure where I should have found this (i.e. docs) but I found it one of Ben's recent posts to me.

I think I can make this work now...

Quote Originally Posted by Donny Bahama
    I think I can make this work now...
    Wishful thinking! Edited the CCF & the GML - got everything all set up. Used the right IR code, EventStrings match (even matched case), device settings, IP addresses, passwords, ports, everything is set up correctly (I believe) and yet... no action. The USB-UIRT is not blinking. I tested the Action in Girder - that works. But somehow, NetRemote is not sending the EventString to Girder - even when I run NR on the same machine. I also tried setting the default host and Girder Host to 127.0.0.1.

I've spent the better part of the last 24 hours (I was home sick yesterday) trying to get a single, simple IR command to work (to make my TV turn on) and now it's time to walk away - unsuccessful - and go to work.

Hey - look at that! I'm an "Experienced User" now! LOL!!!

WAIT! I *AM* AN "EXPERIENCED USER"!!! I TRIED ONE LAST THING - AND IT WORKED!!! I MADE MY TV TURN ON FROM MY PPC!!!!!!!!!

Looks like you *have* to use the default port (1024) for G3. I was using 20005 (and password "girder" for both G3 and G4 so that all I'd have to do was change the mode) but I guess G3 doesn't like port 20005.

Hi Donny - Had you changed the G3 port to 20005? It defaults to 1024, and indeed both should "match" (NR's configuration and Girder's configuration). However (a little issue) both G3 and G4 can't both be using the same port, as the network won't allow it.

Congratulations on getting them talking, and becoming an experienced user.

Regarding the docs, do you mean the G4 guide doesn't have talking to girder from NetRemote, or the NetRemote Pro guide? Let me see about getting a "basic" howto of getting Girder 4 and NetRemote talking, as obviously this is very important.

G4 and NR should communicate "out of the box" in most networks, but then you have to configure actions (as you've seen).

G3 is actually quite a bit harder with the lua files, com server, configuration, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben S
    Had you changed the G3 port to 20005?
    Yes, but I did on both ends (i.e. on the PPC as well as in the G3 settings.)
    both G3 and G4 can't both be using the same port, as the network won't allow it.
    They weren't both running at the same time and it still didn't work. I'm thinking this is either a registry issue or a bug.
    Regarding the docs, do you mean the G4 guide doesn't have talking to girder from NetRemote, or the NetRemote Pro guide?
    Correct. Check out these posts:
    http://www.promixis.com/phpBB2/posti...quote&p=123730
    http://www.promixis.com/phpBB2/posti...quote&p=123745
    Let me see about getting a "basic" howto of getting Girder 4 and NetRemote talking, as obviously this is very important.
    I was actually working on something myself, both for G3 and G4. I personally think you guys should be focusing on the Wiki for a centralized documentation container. There's going to be a broad spectrum of usage scenarios, hardware/software combinations, etc. If the user community chips in to document unique use cases, it will become comprehensive over time.
    G4 and NR should communicate "out of the box" in most networks, but then you have to configure actions (as you've seen). G3 is actually quite a bit harder with the lua files, com server, configuration, etc.
    But in G3's favor is that I already own a license for it (and G4 is looking pretty pricey.) If G3 gets the job done without additional expenditure I may well be sticking with it. I'm not allowing myself to get too excited about G4 until I see further details on pricing options, capabilities of the "Lite" and/or NR bundled versions, etc. I'm at the base of the learning curve right now - on both versions - and I'm ramping up on my Lua scripting - so the features/capabilities that are *only* available in G4 (and can't be added via Lua) will have to justify my upgrade cost.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123