Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Seeking feedback on the manual

Default Seeking feedback on the manual

I'm looking for feedback from beta testers on the new Girder Manual (help file). The version in Beta 3 is intended to be nearly complete (only major ToDo is the Generic Serial Plugin and some more examples). I'd be interested in hearing general views as well as specific feedback on any omissions, lack of clarity or downright errors.

Feedback from owners of different controllers and other hardware would be especially useful as I have not been able to try everything myself.

Also from upgraders: have I identified all the major issues in the Upgrading topic?

I've just printed the PDF and my first thought was, what's in there, look at contents page, oops no contents page.

An index would be good when the manual is done.

More as I read the manual over the next couple of days

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by ukmike
    I've just printed the PDF
    Did not realise the PDF version had escaped into the wild! You are right though - it needs more work on the format, though the content is the same as the CHM which does have a table of contents!

Sorry John, they made me give it out. :-)
    Ron
    No support through PM

Sorry John, we twisted Ron's arm until he gave in.

Some more feedback, based on the PDF. This is reading the manual before installing G4, so bear that in mind. Ignore the stylistic comments if you want.

Chapters should start on new pages
    In Chap 1.

First mention of "expando" I had no idea what one was until later in chap 2, a picture would have been useful ( I've seen them called "Rollups" and other things)

Chap 2 read as if I knew little about Girder
    Page 5 allows these files to be defined and edited
    would be better "to be created or edited" defined doesn't mean created

Next pargraph
    "Additional Events and actions can be provided by plugins"
    no definition of a plugin, in next line you do describe Lua

routed between one program and another or"
    routed between different programs or"

Chap 2.1
    Take the Settings... four "and"s in one sentance. Generally lots of "and"s where I would use ", then"

The picture of the notification area has lots of icons, which is the Girder icon? a picture of just the Girder icon might be better

Chap 2.2
    The links to the novice/expert examples need Chapter Numbers for the PDF

Chap 2.3
    "On the All available definitions tab, double"
    the picture shows the tab to be called "All available Downloads"
    The picture also shows inconsistant capitalization of the Tab names

"Click on Add Remote and step the wizard" it took me a couple of minutes
    to understand what "step the wizard" meant as I've never seen that expression before. why not just say "then click Next"

Generally I'm impressed, you have graphics where they make sense, I could understand and follow the examples.

Hopefully that is the sort of feedback you are after, more asI read on.

Mike

Mike, that's great feedback. Thanks for taking the time for making such detailed comments.

I haven't really had the time to look through it entirely, but I find that the way the variables are enclosed in square brackets in the LUA section is a little confusing at first. Probably because I didn't go through it in order.
    I think that the wildcards (variable names) should be colour coded perhaps the code could be displayed in 4 or so different colours and have a legend displayed at the bottom of each page in the LUA section. Aside from that what I've seen looks great.

I am still waiting for a moment to print it on the work printer! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: Bloody Boss, is always around! :x
    Thx, Dan

Onwards and Upwards!
    http://www.danward.co.uk

Thanks Mike, this is very useful. I'll address these points for the next release.

I sorted out the PDF format today, so if you twist Ron & Mike C's arms again you might get a TOC!

I'm probably an ideal guinea pig for you since I'm starting from square one. I'm a NetRemote user that can't seem to make NRIRServ to work, so I'm forced to rely on Girder for sending IR codes to my A/V components (using NetRemote as the event source.)

So far, I'm having trouble finding what I need in the help file. I went to the search tab and searched for "infrared" - no topics found. So I tried "IR" - 3 topics found, none that answer my question (or lead me to any answers.) Next I tried searching for both "UIRT" and "USB-UIRT" - no topics found for either one.

I've gone through quite a bit of the "Getting Started" section, and virtually everything I've found wrt IR/remote controls is from an event perspective, rather than an action perspective.

Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast