Thread: Questions about Home Automation and Netremote integration

Default Questions about Home Automation and Netremote integration

Hi Everyone,
    I'm a long time Netremote user and none-time Girder user. Don't throw stones yet :wink:

I've been using Homeseer for my Home Automation and I'm looking to move away from that due to many reasons/issues with the software itself and HS's "direction"... or lack of.

I do like the fact that Netremote and Girder have teamed up, this shows the possibility of a well-rounded front-end/back-end approach to complete Home Automation and Home Theater control.

Ok now for the questions...

I'm interested to know what the direction Promixis is looking to take with integrating Girder and Netremote? What has kept me from Girder is the need to basically code everything you want to do by hand. Homeseer, at least for the majority of Home Automation controls, required no coding.

I'm looking to get impliment a package that I can use to have multiple front-ends... browser based for remote mgmt and home control and local clients (Netremote for example) for when I'm controlling everything within my home locally (ie Home Theater, Lighting, IR send/receive etc). I'm more concerned with the latter for local in-home control then with web control.

BUT... it needs to be almost 100% GUI driven for setup; thus very little custom coding to get with I want controlled, with real-time feedback from devices to my control client (ie Netremote). It will need to control X-10, Insteon, and an other "standards" that emerge and catch on.

I'm interested to hear thoughts from the Promixis team on the plans and the timeframes (estimated of course).

Thanks for reading!
    Aaron
    Aaron
    ----------
    My Setup:
    XBMC Media Center, Whole-House Audio, Paradigm-Onkyo-Parasound-Velodyne, 65" Mits 1080p DLP, EventGhost, Homeseer

That's definitely one of the directions that we are headed in...

Girder 4 has kept the same tree type interface as in G3.3. This does allow you to create resonably sophisticated automation system using largely point and click. The current Girder interface remains very command/action driven. It doesn't have the same device type context that HS has. For me, this is not a short coming but some will not like it. We are considering in the long term adding a more device centric gui.

With the new NR Designer, you will be able to send commands to Girder without coding. We will be adding functionality for Girder to send commands/data to NR without any coding.

G4 has a webserver plugin that does allow tight intergration with Girder. It supports SSL as well. Scripting is done using AJAX.

Girders scripting language, Lua, is reallly easy to learn and is more powerful then many of the other solutions out there.

We are doing an Insteon plugin. ETA... 1-2 months (hopefully).

What security system are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C
    G4 has a webserver plugin that does allow tight intergration with Girder. It supports SSL as well. Scripting is done using AJAX.
    Little correction; Ajax is simply a web technology. The webserver can do many things, it's scripting is simply Lua. Ajax is a way of updating information on the webpage without reloading the webpage.
    Ron
    No support through PM

Hopefully the the Girder<->NR communications will be automatically two way... thus, if I setup a device in NR (say a light) and have a slider control as the image, when I change the value (say to 50%) then it sends a command to Girder, and Girder sends the command to the light. Also, the reverse should happen... if the light (2way comms switch) gets changed, Girder "sees" the change and records it within Girder then sends an update to NR so then NR change change the associated image.

Everything is "interconnected"

My suggestion is to ensure that we can define devices within Girder that NR automatically recognizes. Right now, I do not believe NR has any way to define a "device".

The ideal would be to define objects like image sets and then have the Device use those objects.

So we'd need to be able to define the Device and a collection of states that define the Device.

Example:

Device: Kitchen Light
    States: 0% to 100%, 10% increments

Object: Slider
    Type: Button&Display
    Variable definintions:
    0% = slider0.png
    10% = slider10.png
    20% = slider20.png
    30% = slider20.png
    ... etc

This is a rough idea, nothing polished and I'm sure there are more efficient ways but this was with the idea that many devices would be using the same objects to display the actual settings within NR.

an example of this can be seen on my ASP pages I'm using for Homeseer. I define a button type that also reads the actual device setting, then displays the appropriate images... each image is actually a button also so I can directly access any dim level with one touch. Instant control and feedback. My pages use animated GIFs also so the coffee pot drips coffee, pump moves water, light bulbs blink, etc). This is all vbscript via ASP.

As for a security system... two Chow Chows :P
    I don't have an electronic alarm but I use my home automation to vary my lighting scenes when I'm gone. Script that does "normal" light patterns.

Not done any AJAX stuff but a little jscript so hopefully that will make it a bit easier to learn.

About scripting... why not allow any type of scripting built into Windows and just use the Windows Scripting engine? Homeseer has been doing this and it makes scripting in easy since you can use VBscript or Jscript natively. I don't know LUA and never had the urge to learn it since I know of nothing else besides Girder & now NR that uses it. In the IT world VBscript #1 in Windows and JavaScript and PERL are by far the most popular "cross-platform" with Python now coming up quickly.
    Aaron
    ----------
    My Setup:
    XBMC Media Center, Whole-House Audio, Paradigm-Onkyo-Parasound-Velodyne, 65" Mits 1080p DLP, EventGhost, Homeseer

That is what I was trying to say. Girder uses Lua internally, but on the website client side (on your browser) you can use whatever you like.
    Ron
    No support through PM

Ron I think you posted right before I did... I did not see your post until after I posted.
    Aaron
    ----------
    My Setup: