Thread: AvidUtils Dropdown LUA table question/bug

Default AvidUtils Dropdown LUA table question/bug

Hey (Brian),

I was wondering, if I use LUA to change the table a dropdown listbox is using, the listbox won't update it's values. Any chance to get this fixed??

Cheers,
    Jens
    \"Video games don\'t affect kids. I mean, if Pac Man affected us as kids, we\'d all run around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listen to repetitive music.\" - Kristian Wilson, CEO of Nintendo, 1989

Hi Jens -
    Just FYI - Brian is on vacation for a few weeks. He'll pop back in soon, I'm sure.

oh ok... Thanks Ben!!
    \"Video games don\'t affect kids. I mean, if Pac Man affected us as kids, we\'d all run around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listen to repetitive music.\" - Kristian Wilson, CEO of Nintendo, 1989

Hi Jens,

I'm back now.

I'm not sure I can do anything more than I do now. I *do* refresh the list if you are using a "LIST" type. For "LUA" type, NR can't monitor a Lua table variable. And for "NUMBERED" type there are complications about adding to the end of the list.

What sort of list are you talking about?? And what (more specificatlly) would you want to happen?

Meanwhile, if you can arrange to change the drop-down variable (e.g. change it and change it back again when the selections change), then that will have the desired effect.

Cheers

Brian

Hi Brian!

Had a nice holiday I hope!

Ok, so NR doesn't monitor lua variables, that explains it.. I really like the lua table type idea though, it provides for less code than if I do a list type.

Basically what I'm trying to achieve is a menu system driven by Girder. At this point it's mostly for fun, but I'm doing something like a "media library" thingy, not as advanced as LDJ, just quick access to all media files on my computers in my network. I think possibly marcel's done something similar, not sure.

Anyways, so in a dream world I'd like to be able to have multi-level dropdowns, so a table could look something like:

films = {
    ["Comedy"] = {"Dumb & Dumber", "Pet Detective", "Zoolander", "Anchorman"},
    ["Action"] = {"Top Gun", "Die Hard", "blah blah"},
    ["Romantic"] = {"Love Actually", "Notting Hill", "Boys & Girls"},

}

Which would create a menu that looks like (Yep, I'm a master of ascii graphics.. :wink: :

Comedies
    L-----Dumb & Dumber
    L-----Pet Detective
    L-----Zoolander
    L-----Anchorman
    Action
    L-----Top Gun
    L-----Die Hard
    L-----blah blah
    Romantic
    L-----Love Actually
    L-----Notting Hill
    L-----Boys & Girls

Hi again Jens. Thank you - I had a very nice holiday.

Your menus sound a very good way of viewing a list of movies or similar.

I think ideally for the table thing you might need to wait for Ben's (long wished for) integration of NR variables and Lua variables.

But meanwhile, one thing I could consider is to add a "DYNAMIC" optional qualifier to the parameters in the IR name. This would force a refresh every time you display the list. I would prefer not to make this the default as it may affect the quick response in the most common cases.

The timing is tricky as I have moved my driver development forward to the upcoming (and not backward compatible) NR 1.1.1 version. So it may need to wait till after then.

What do you think?

Brian

Hey,

Sure, sounds good to me, I'll try that Dynamic parameter for now and perhaps for the next version we can make it work in a nicer way!

Thanks Brian!

//Jens