Thread: Newbie help (AVI/PDA control)

Default Newbie help (AVI/PDA control)

I have been reading as much as possible about NetRemote and Girder but I am still a little confused
    I hope that you tell me if what I want to achieve is possible and how I would go about it (NetRemote only, NetRemote + Girder, Girder + loads of scripting, etc)

So far I have been playing with NetRemote and got the music bit working fine. Also got the Zoom Player plugin working with (Mastifs?) CPP to browse files on the PC screen, though this is not what I want to do.

What I want to do is this:
    (Use a PDA for everything)
    Control many different networked PC's using a PDA to play audio and video in each room (maybe some zoning for audio, but unlikely), but I want to do this blindly as in not have to see the screen of the PC I am controlling to see if its working... i.e. start playing cartoon X-Y-Z in the childrenís room, by using the PDA in the garden.
    Play AVI movies with zoom player (on specified PC), and control with PDA (FF, REW, etc)
    Choose movie from cover artwork (same as how you can browse music by album cover JPG file).
    Have a server linked to cable/satellite TV and send signal to the PC requesting it and be able to change channel using PDA as remote (WiFi).

In the future I will also want to control lighting in each room and temperature. Maybe a few other things like turn on projector and extend screen etc

The music bit is fine as I mentioned before, I am just unclear on how to go about controlling the rest with a PDA and viewing on the PC in the room I am in.

Thanks for any help/advice/pointers you can give me for this.

Andrew

Andrew,

Basically it all is possible. Some is very easy (music side) other parts will require more building.

I will let others chime in on the DVD side which I don't use.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C
    Basically it all is possible. Some is very easy (music side) other parts will require more building.
    I figuered it was all possible , just what do I need to get it all working?

Is it just a question of downloading or designing it all myself with NetRemote or do I need to bolt on Girder as well?
    If I need Girder can I download the setup files, or do I need to do that myself?
    If I have to set it up myself will I need to write all my own scripts or can I find those, and then will I also need to then go back to NetRemote and build my own interface to handle what I want to do ?

Any help/pointers/advice most deffinately welcome
    (Still a bit confused with it all)

Andrew

Music will not need Girder but DVD browsing will ... see lua dvd in the netremote downloads area and search here.

Thanks Mike
    Will do

Andrew