Thread: Proposal: speed performance on PPC by pre-copying MC library

Default Proposal: speed performance on PPC by pre-copying MC library

I noticed that when MC11 is used in client/server mode, they pre-copy the full library file over (several MBs) to speed interactions. Could MediaBridge be made to do this. There is plenty of free RAM on my PPC (and I assume most people's here) to hold the library and being able to just send pointers to the songs rather than all the info would probably speed things up a lot. Could this be done?

Theoretically. Are you looking to improve the Playing Now load, GAC with album covers, or the tree view?

I am having a definite slowness issue, in all three areas. Tree view is fastest b/c it completely loads up the tree on 1st click of expanding the tree. Album / Artist / Playlist view is pretty rough.

I have about 500gb of music and every time I scroll down a page in cover view, album view or playlist view there is a few second lag to 'get' the next page. I'm running G wireless and it's not a hardware issue on client or server.

For example, if I am flipping down my album view A-Z it take me about 4-5 mins just to get to 'N' albums.
    Of course, if I click into the 'N' albums and then decide to go back up a level to the main list, I'm back as 'A'. So, geting back to 'N' would be another 5 mins. aargh

Is there any hope of being able to cache locally, at least for Win32 clients? That would be sweet!

How many albums are you showing per page?

Also, are you running music or pro? If pro, try the pro default interface. The way GAC+ is being used there is with a "jump back" which at least resets you to 'N'.

There -are- some ways we're looking into making this a bit faster. Stay tuned.

I'm showing 8 albums per page, and i'm using Pro. What is the 'default interface', and what is 'N'? (sorry, n00b here...)

I am trying out GAC+ and your NRMusic ccf, but the GAC+ is introducing it's own set of problems and glitches. The 'highlight' on the currently playing track in the playlist is not consistent and loses focus. The 'refresh' prior to page jump is not consistent, leaving me with a blank page on 1st view most of the time.

The page scrolling is slightly better, but still slow. Not meaning these as complaints, just observations. Even from my limited perspective I think GAC+ has HUGE potential and obvious better features over GAC. It represents an obvious amount of skilled and hard work on your guy's part.

I notice that NR on my tablet caches thumbnail images locally. That's cool. If there was a way to cache all of the JRMC library data locally it might make for scrolling through lists as fast as anyone might need.

Are you using NR 2? If so, there is a new way to do the playing now stuff that has been bolstered a bit. I'll be putting together a demo soon.

'N' is the example letter you used of where you were before you jumped back.

Let me take a look to see if this is broken, I know paging down and drilling in and then back up goes to the right page. Maybe the letter is being lost (with the jump to letter).

No, I'm still on the last v1 that you posted on March 31. Is NR2 avail now? I just got home and haven't checked the site.

let me try and clarify the highlight issue. Let's say I have 24 items in my playing now list, displayed 8 at a time. I'm on page 1 and the 4th item down is playing, so it is highlighted. If I flip to page 2, the 4th item on the page is highlighted. same with subsequent pages.

If the playing track were the 8th item, then the 8th item on each page would retain the highlight. does that make sense?

You still didn't tell me, what's the 'default interface'?

March 31st (1.9.x) is the beta of NR2. So the GAC+ object installed supports this.

I understand the bug you're speaking of, I've seen this also.

The 'default interface' is the one installed with NetRemote Pro, and it's in your My Documents directory in both 240x320 and 480x640 varieties.

cool- I'll play around with the default ccf and see how the page flips compare. Looking forward to checking out your demo!