Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a way to...

Default Is there a way to...

Hi, I don't actually own Girder yet, because I'm not sure yet if it can do what I need it to do. If it can, I will be immediately purchasing it though. I would think it can, from what I've been reading in the manual, it seems very powerful...but I'm not sure if it can, and if so, how.
    Anyway, I need it to emulate the following: right-click on my desktop to get the display properties window up, go to the settings tab, right-click on the little picture of the Monitor 2 icon, click on 'Attached' from the pop-up menu, right-click on the Monitor 2 icon again, then click on the 'Primary' option from the pop-up menu, then click on 'OK'. From what I could tell, this wouldn't be a problem, right - you just give it coordinates on the screen/desktop to click on where there is no shortcut, have it right-click, move the mouse to choose properties, and that would open up display properties...that part is easy, right (but please correct me if I'm incorrect in my assumption)? Here's the problem - I noticed that each time I do this, the actual Display Properties window pops up in a different location, so I can't give it 'hard' coordinates to go to the Settings tab or doing the rest of the steps because it changes all the time...so can I still do all of this with Girder? If so, how exactly would you set that up?

In case anyone is wondering why I'm doing this, it's because my PC is my DVR - I have an ATI All-In-Wonder 9600 card, and use the Remote Wonder II to control the Multimedia Center, but in order for it to show on my TV and not my PC monitor, I have to go through all of these steps to do this. Then, when I'm all done watching what I want, I have to do a similar thing. My PC is in a closet (so separate from my TV) so getting up to do this all the time is kind of a pain. Secondly, my Remote Wonder II doesn't work too well from the couch and I know that there's a Remote Wonder II plug-in for Girder that sounds like it would solve my problems that I've been having with my Remote Wonder II remote - i would be able to get rid of it. Before I moved it into my closet, I had problems using it 8' away from the RF receiver base, and it got worse when I moved it into my closet, so I would like to use my Pronto remote to control my PC's ATI MMC software since I already have all of the IR equipment to do this (except for USB-UIRT...and the software of course).
    So if anyone can tell me that I can do what I need to do, explained above, and how to do it, I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thank you very much in advance.

Yes, it can do that I believe. I don't have an ATI card up here right now, but can you set hotkeys through the ATI Control Center? Just send the hotkey(s) via girder.

You can also use "Ultramon" which I use on my main pc (nvidia though). It can tie a hotkey to a display profile I believe, just read through some of the options I have never used, but looks very easy to incorporate. However, this is not using girder.

Since you want to use girder for more than just this, try this, Click on

Start> Run> rundll32 shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL desk.cpl,@0,3

Which should bring up the display properties window. This is where you can choose your monitor. Practice using the KEYBOARD, with TAB and right/left arrows, maybe some spacebar action, and see what is required to do what you want. Write down the sequence you want. No need to use the mouse.

Then just set an event, and the execute the actions above. It would what you want automatically via Girder.

There might be better ways, but this is what I got at 4am.

Vinny,

Thanks for the reply and ideas. I had no idea you could open up the display properties as a run command. That's pretty cool. I will try what you said and try to figure out the keyboard keys instead of the mouse. I didn't even think about that.
    As far as the 'Profiles' for the ATI Multimedia Center, I looked into that and it doesn't seem to be flexible enough to do what I want to do. I tried setting up a new profile, but it wasn't working too well. I wish it would because the hotkey thing would've been very simple. Maybe I'm not going about it right, I don't know.

thanks again!
    (I might be posting again )

you can also do this from the multimonitor plugin..

see the monitor library in the help file

Well I tried using keyboard shortcuts after opening up the display properties as you mentioned Vinny, but every time I perform the 'right-click' sequence (SHIFT + F10), the pop-up menu only has the 'What's This' option. It seems that you can't go between the differnet monitors as different items...that whole frame is just 1 item I think. Does anyone else have any ideas about how to do this? I was looking into using the 'Find Window' and 'Move Window' abilities of Girder to move the Display Properties to 0,0 on my desktop/screen, which would then give me constant coordinates that I could use where my 'Monitor 1' icon and 'Monitor 2' icon would be...am I correct in assuming that I can do this with Girder?
    I'll have to play with Ultramon to see if I can do what I need to do with it I guess in case the above doesn't pan out. It's just that I don't like installing all kinds of separate pieces of software on my PC if I don't need to, you know?
    Mike, thank you for the other idea as far as the Multimonitor plug-in, although I have no idea how to implement whatever it is I need to implement to get this to work...like I said, I haven't bought Girder yet, just downloaded the trial, and have no idea how to use LUA scripting or how to even implement it. Is it something pretty easy to learn?

thank you everyone,
    Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by jamreb
    Well I tried using keyboard shortcuts after opening up the display properties as you mentioned Vinny, but every time I perform the 'right-click' sequence (SHIFT + F10), the pop-up menu only has the 'What's This' option. It seems that you can't go between the differnet monitors as different items...that whole frame is just 1 item I think. Does anyone else have any ideas about how to do this? I was looking into using the 'Find Window' and 'Move Window' abilities of Girder to move the Display Properties to 0,0 on my desktop/screen, which would then give me constant coordinates that I could use where my 'Monitor 1' icon and 'Monitor 2' icon would be...am I correct in assuming that I can do this with Girder?
    I'll have to play with Ultramon to see if I can do what I need to do with it I guess in case the above doesn't pan out. It's just that I don't like installing all kinds of separate pieces of software on my PC if I don't need to, you know?
    Mike, thank you for the other idea as far as the Multimonitor plug-in, although I have no idea how to implement whatever it is I need to implement to get this to work...like I said, I haven't bought Girder yet, just downloaded the trial, and have no idea how to use LUA scripting or how to even implement it. Is it something pretty easy to learn?

thank you everyone,
    Jamie
    Jamie,

Open up the help file and have a look at the monitor library. This basically offers all the functions of ultramon. If you can outline the steps you need, I can setup the lua stuff for you.

Mike,

Well thank you so much for your offer. What I need to do when I watch something recorded from my PC, is the following (and this is all just using regular Windows stuff, I haven't installed Ultramon yet due to the reason i already mentioned):
    1. Like I mentioned before, I open up the display properties, and go to the settings tab.
    2. I right-click on the "2" icon (my second monitor which is actually my Television), and choose 'Attached' from the pop-up menu.
    3. I right-click on the "2" icon again, and choose 'Primary'.
    4. I click 'OK' on the Display Properties window, and this switches my entire desktop and everything to my TV to which then I can open up my ATI Multimedia Center using the proper button on my ATI Remote Wonder II (which I'm trying to not use).

When I'm all done watching my recorded TV shows (or TV in 'TIVO' mode), I have to reverse what I just did by doing the following:
    1. Open up the display properties, and go to the settings tab.
    2. Right-click on the "1" icon, choose 'Primary' from the pop-up window
    3. Right-click on the "2" icon, choose 'Attached' (to uncheck it) from the pop-up window to stop feeding anything to my TV
    4. Then of course, click 'OK' on the Display Properties window.

So I have to go through this process every time I want to watch something I recorded on my PC or want to watch TV in TIVO mode. It is a pretty big hassle to me.

Thanks again Mike. I really appreciate your help.

Hi,

create a new scripting action, and copy, paste this:
    Code:
    local TvStatus= monitor.GetDisplayMode(2)

print (TvStatus)

if TvStatus == nil then
    monitor.EnableMonitor(2, 1024, 0)

monitor.SwapPrimaryMonitor(1, 2, monitor.LEFT )

end

if TvStatus == 800 then
    monitor.SwapPrimaryMonitor(2, 1, monitor.LEFT )

monitor.DisableMonitor(2)
    end
    Little background on how it works:
    primary monitor (1) @ 1024x768 LEFT
    secundary monitor (2) @ 800x600 RIGHT

change the numbers and/or LEFT to RIGHT in the script according to your setup.

hope this helps :wink:

Blubberhoofd,

Thank you so much for the script. I've finally got a chance to copy and paste the script into a new scripting action as you mentioned and have tested it. It's only half working for me though. It's only working for the second set of the steps that I've mentioned (the one where I disable my TV and go back to using my LCD as my primary monitor...it works great that way!). For the first one however, it does enable my TV (#2) so that I can have windows open over there, but it doesn't put my whole desktop to my TV - it's like it's only 'extending' the desktop over there. I noticed that my desktop icons and my taskbar are still on my LCD (#1). I've tried playing with the LEFT and RIGHT like you said, but it doesn't seem to help. Am I doing something wrong? I would've tried playing around with the numbers like you said, but you've got them correct - #1 is my LCD, and #2 is my TV.

Hi,

In initial testing of different variations of the script I had successfully moved the entire desktop to my second monitor, so it's certainly possible. Unfortunately I'm unable to recreate or test the script as I temporarely use a sigle monitor setup,until the end of next week.

Anyway, play around with this line in a new scripting action, when both monitors are enabled
    Code:
    monitor.SwapPrimaryMonitor(1, 2, monitor.LEFT )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast