Thread: Newbie Question

Default Newbie Question

I was trying to figure out how to perform an action based on a certain keyboard sequence. Say I wanted to open up a program using a keyboard sequence that I specify like Ctrl + Alt + F8. I added an event, and chose RAW:Keyboard from the drop-down, but I was a little confused on what to do from there...I don't even know if this is where I'm supposed to be. And yes, I have read most of the manual, and it seems like the manual was explaining how to 'send' keyboard commands to programs, not what I'm trying to do. I actually don't want to open up a program based on this key sequence right now, I have a little script that some nice people from this forum cooked up for me real quick that I want to run whenever I press those keys mentioned above.

thanks,
    jamie

Jamie,

open the logger, press the keys you want. drag that event from the logger and drop it on the action you want.

Mike,

I opened up the logger, and did my keyboard sequences, and dragged it to my action - thanks. However, it only worked a few times - after a few times of using my new keyboard sequence (Ctrl + Alt + F8 ), it started rebooting my computer (not a proper restart...it was like someone was hitting the actual Restart button next to my Power button on the actual case) when it ran the part of the script that disabled my monitor and brought my primary display back to my regular monitor (I'm using the script we've been discussing in the other topic I have called 'Is there a way to'). Then when Windows comes back up, it says that Windows has recovered from a serious problem and wanted to send an error report to Microsoft so I did (just the first time). So then I thought maybe it was the keyboard sequence that I chose so I changed it to be just Ctrl + F8, tried again, and same thing. So when Windows came back up, I tried running the script manually through Girder by hitting the 'Test' button, and it would work with no problems - no reboots. What's going on here? Isn't it weird how it only works for switching my primary display from my monitor to my TV, but crashes/reboots when going back to my monitor? I'm afraid to try anymore keyboard sequences because I don't know how many times my PC will take being rebooted like that before some something goes corrupt on me.

thanks,
    Jamie

go to control panel,system,advanced, startup and recovery, uncheck automatically restart
    next time it crashes you should be able to see what is causing the probelm

Thanks birty,
    I did that, tried using my keyboard shortcut that I set up, and after several times, sure enough, I got a blue screen. It didn't seem to be very helpful. It didn't mention any drivers. It just gave a few generic suggestions like checking on low disk space, checking BIOS and/or updating my BIOS, changing video adapters. I opened up the .dmp file that it created and it was just a bunch of unreadable characters. Why does it seem to work for a little while, then stop working? I don't like how it's crashing my computer. Do you have any ideas? Anyone else out there have any ideas? It wouldn't be my video card would it? It's pretty new, and it's an ATI All-In-Wonder 9600 (XT I think).

thanks,
    Jamie

there should be a cause of the crash listed at the top of the bsod, is it always the same? what is it?