Thread: Enabling USB-UIRT on 4.0.3 hangs girder

Default Enabling USB-UIRT on 4.0.3 hangs girder

I just received a USB-UIRT today (to replace my unusable Tira), only to discover that the action UI did not appear to be working correctly in Girder (DUI exception appeared in the Logger).

I was running 4.0.2 but I see that the newly release 4.0.3 version includes a fix for the USB-UIRT, so I uninstalled 4.0.2 and installed the new version.

Unfortunately, the changes made do not seem to work for me. If I bring up the plugin settings dialog and enable the USB-UIRT plugin, Girder immediately stops responding and logs several "deadlock" errors in the logger. Eventually it returns, but the USB-UIRT dialog still does not appear to work (it is still missing elements). I still see a DUI exception appear in the logger when opening the action dialog.

Once I've enabled USB-UIRT (or tried to add a USB-UIRT action), girder gradually slows my system to a near standstill (although the CPU usage does not appear to be high, just keyboard input becomes difficult). If I try to exit girder, it takes minutes for it to finally close (and eventually brings up a dialog about waiting for Lua threads to close).

Any ideas?

-g.b.

Hmmm. It now seems to work; just not on the first try.

The second time I started Girder, the USB-UIRT plugin was disabled (even after being enabled the previous invocation).

I was able to re-enable the plugin without any problems, and the action dialog now appears as expected.

However, it seems that the "Learn" function doesn't seem to work. Prior to entering the Learn dialog, I can see USB-UIRT driver events in the logger when pushing buttons, but once the Learn dialog appears, nothing happens.

Hmmm, did another restart of girder and now the USB-UIRT is again disabled. I selected it and the girder stopped responding again.

Pretty confusing...

-g.b.

I have the USB-UIRT enabled here. What version of the UIRT drivers are you running?
    Ron
    No support through PM

Default Problem solved.

Hey Ron, Thanks for the quick reply.

I seem to have things mostly working here in just the last hour.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Girder using 4.0.3 (a second time).

I uninstalled and reinstalled the USB-UIRT device allowing windows to overwrite a newer version of the FTDI driver that I already had on my machine with the older version included in the USB-UIRT distribution (USB-UIRT driver v1.3 package with FDTI v 1.05.5.0). I did not allow the overwrite to occur the first time around. The one I already had on my machine may have been installed when I previously installed the Tira driver.

I did not copy the USB-UIRT girder plugin .dll file into girder/plugins; I assumed the one that is already there is the one I want.

I can now learn and transmit commands successfully. To test I created a simple GML that contains just two USB-UIRT actions (power on/off on my receiver).

But boy, is the USB-UIRT picky about the remote's IR emitter position while learning a code! I have to butt the remote up against USB-UIRT and swivel it around to just the right angle to get a successful capture. To be honest, that is probably why my first attempts at learning IR codes failed. The plug-in was probably working at that point, I just wasn't positioning the remote correctly.

I can now enable/disable the USB-UIRT plugin and open and close Girder OK, though I did get what could be an unrelated an address exception the last time I exited.

Now I can get back to work....

-g.b.

Is this with 4.0.3? In that case get 4.0.3a, that fixes some funky stuff that sneaked into 4.0.3.
    Tor - managing director of the Cinema Inferno home theater and multi-zone sound system with Girder running the show in the back, NetRemote as the GUI and Media Center 17, PowerDVD and ZoomPlayer as playback software
    Hobsyssel mastiffs: http://www.hobsyssel.no

Will do.