Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: NetRemote 2.0 Release Information

Actually I disagree. The betas from here are usually better than anything major software companies labels as full releases (and then spend the next three to six years patching...), and anything really glaring gets fixed pretty fast (often within hours).
    Tor - managing director of the Cinema Inferno home theater and multi-zone sound system with Girder running the show in the back, NetRemote as the GUI and Media Center 17, PowerDVD and ZoomPlayer as playback software
    Hobsyssel mastiffs: http://www.hobsyssel.no

Default Prices again

Well, Ive been Using Netremote ver 1 since 2005 or so.. and have been very pleased with it.. Ive designed my own skin for PPC and also use the windows version..

I think i did pay about 40 USD for this product..thats ok..

To upgrade i would have to pay 50 for PPC 50 for Windows 10 for IR.. and then you get 10% upgrade refund ?? total cost around 100 USD..

This will just not happen.. Just upgraded Jriver MC from version 11 to 12.. for 20 USD.. quite resonable...

Will stick with version 1 for time beeing..

/Mats

Hi Mats -
    On the other hand you have Microsoft Office which costs several hundred dollars for each iteration.

I understand from the end user perspective it may _seem_ like a lot of money. From the development standpoint, a -ton- of hours goes into every release, and Promixis products are not used -quite- as much as office.

I'm glad you're enjoying NetRemote 1.

Quote Originally Posted by matsy View Post
    Well, Ive been Using Netremote ver 1 since 2005 or so.. and have been very pleased with it.. Ive designed my own skin for PPC and also use the windows version..

I think i did pay about 40 USD for this product..thats ok..

To upgrade i would have to pay 50 for PPC 50 for Windows 10 for IR.. and then you get 10% upgrade refund ?? total cost around 100 USD..

This will just not happen.. Just upgraded Jriver MC from version 11 to 12.. for 20 USD.. quite resonable...

Will stick with version 1 for time beeing..

/Mats
    Again go check out CQC and Mainlobby. One of the last CQC price increased almost doubled the $495 base price. So I don't think NR2 is that much of an increase for all the work that has gone into it.

BTW my migration to NR2 and G5 is almost complete

John

John

Quote Originally Posted by tomgru View Post
    I've been a v1 use for years, and love what you guys are trying to do, and where you are taking the business. However, as someone who has been in software marketing for over 15 years... i do think there are some areas that you might reconsider. Your pricing is fine for new customers... maybe even low... you could consider a CAL style pricing for each client if you wanted. i do think, however, that your upgrade pricing (only 10% off) is too high. One way this gets interpreted is that "we don't value your past business all that much"....

I understand you need to make money, but also realize that in this business, the cost of the software typically pays for more than you provide, like oncall support, FULL documentation and help, and finished product (as opposed to templates where the user ends up building their own systems.

As such, you could separate out your product line into an enthusiast bundle (costs less), and fully out of box experience (costs more).
    I couldn't agree more. PPC apps shouldn't be breaking the piggy bank. I for one will not be a returning customer. As much as I'd like to use netremote, it was more of a hobby instead of a necessity I never fully implemented it becuase it was taking more time than imaginable to get anything useful developed working for my system.... I did purchase Mainlobby, it took me far less time to get it going and fully implemented, it upgraded itself from hobby to production in just a few days... I just don't have room to run both, nor the time to develop screens for netremote.

I would purchase WAY more software if companies stoped charging their loyal customers every few years for the same product. Or offer upgrade prices that are reasonable... $5-15.....

I think more companies could charge "reasonable" upgrade prices if the initial purchase price was quite high ($1k?). The problem is that -as much- if not -more- work goes into each new release, it's not like it's just one or two bugs that are fixed. The pricing of each release generally is factored against the costs to develop the product, not some random amount that is pulled from the air.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314